Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Question for the Plumbers

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
I had to drain my gravity fed system yesterday as I had a leaking tap. I turned off the mains and drained water from the taps. Changed the tap but when turning mains back on I get no water from most taps. I assume that this is an airlock. The confusing thing is that I have a downstairs toilet with a mixer tap, if this is turned to hot nothing comes out, if it is turned to fully cold I get water, but it is scalding hot. The only other tap that works is the cold on the kitchen sink which I mains.

Any ideas on how I can fix (and save myself from days of the family complaining) or do I need to get a professional?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Do you get hot water at the kitchen tap?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
If it’s a monobloc or mixer tap then try putting your hand over the spout of the tap ( grip tightly by the way) open the hot side first then open the cold so effectively the cold mains goes back up the hot. This will go right back up to the tank and push any air out. Let go and light a panama cigar.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
While we’re here does anyone know what this shower valve is?

895B7932-1AE4-438C-A98D-E4C8AF8FB918.jpeg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Is that piddle ???

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
I did try that last night. I’ve just tried again and aside from a wet kitchen from spray there’s not much difference! After doing this I get very slow water from hot tap for about 30 seconds then it runs out.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I did try that last night. I’ve just tried again and aside from a wet kitchen from spray there’s not much difference! After doing this I get very slow water from hot tap for about 30 seconds then it runs out.

Do you have a hot washing machine valve or isolation valve to the hot side of your kitchen mixer tap?

Most washing machines are now cold fill only but some homes still have a redundant hot washing machine valve.

If you have either valve I have mentioned you need to attach a temporary hose or pipe from a hot valve and run water into a bucket to pull the water through.

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
Ok, I’ve got a hot valve to the washing machine that’s not attached to anything. So you’re saying just open that valve until water comes through?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Try a hose from the hot wm tap to the cold wm tap and blast it through.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ok, I’ve got a hot valve to the washing machine that’s not attached to anything. So you’re saying just open that valve until water comes through?

Yes, sorry I couldn't reply before as I've been working.

Fit a temporary hose to the hot washing machine valve, a washing machine hose is best, the other end goes into the bucket and open up the hot valve, usually works.

Edit - Sorry just seen your other post.

seagull over sevenoaks

Jul 14, 2003
I've gone as far as connecting the washing machine hose from cold to hot and ran water back up the pipe until it started coming out of the overflow that comes out the side of the loft. The taps then will all run for around a minute but will gradually lose pressure until they completely stop again.

I've tried running the water through the hot WM feed with one tap open, with all taps open, with no taps open but always with the same result.

I really appreciate the advice from people - and if anyone knows a plumber in the Uckfield area that is willing to come out to have a look then please recommend..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
2 minute job?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here