Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ants: ****ing hard.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've just found out that ants can't die from being dropped. They can fall from any height and they won't die upon landing. That's nuts.

Where was this knowledge during the Worlds Hardest Creature years?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I got into a heated argument with an intellectual kid at school who didnt believe ants lived from being dropped from a height

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Considering humans bones can break falling over from a standing position that does earn some respect to be fair.
I looked into buying some pet leaf cutter ants once, fascinating...

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I watched three ants ‘take down’ a bee on my back patio a few weeks back, fascinating to watch, one holding its leg down to stop it flying off, the other two attacking its head. I checked back an hour later and it was still going on, the bee losing the battle.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Considering humans bones can break falling over from a standing position that does earn some respect to be fair.

Humans are shit though. Every time they appeared in the WHC I :facepalm:ed

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
we've not had a Worlds Hardest Creature Contest this year have we?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
They used to be called black ants when I was a kid to distinguish them from red ants. They seem to just be called ants now. Different times.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I watched three ants ‘take down’ a bee on my back patio a few weeks back, fascinating to watch, one holding its leg down to stop it flying off, the other two attacking its head. I checked back an hour later and it was still going on, the bee losing the battle.

Should have filmed it...or livestreamed it and got some odds going on it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If ants are hard, what does that make the green woodpecker in my garden ? Eats hundreds of the little buggers

Green-woodpecker-1-e1578062623354-463x300.jpg

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We get all this nature stuff all the time about how humans are crowding out all other lifeforms and killing the planet. I am not saying this isn't true, esepcially for other mammals, but ants!! The largest ant colony measured was apparently 1,700 miles long. That is one huge city and they are all girls, the geezers just have one job, otherwise they are irrelevant.

51+ZjpcuoYL._SL500_.jpg

This is a great read. Ants, termites and mitochondrion - deep respect!

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
we've not had a Worlds Hardest Creature Contest this year have we?

I noticed this too, maybe this is the wrong part of NSC thread section to post this but..... I believe the coronavirus bringing us covid19 has been nominated, seconded and selected as this years champ!! walkover apparently?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was renting a house on 10 acres whilst building mine here and once, when walking the dog around it with the kids, we witnessed a baby Dugite snake being attacked by a load of ants.
They were all over it and probably biting it furiously.
They kept it occupied whilst others were making the opening of the nest they had come out of larger, removing dirt and grit etc.
Then they all dragged it down into the hole, never to be seen again, fascinating to watch, though the kids were sorry for the snake, I just said it was a circle of life type of thing.
Dugites are very poisonous, especially the baby ones who can't regulate the amount of venom they inject.
The ants were just too many and too small to bite.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
View attachment 124787

Don’t mess with a Bullet Ant. No 1 on the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, and coming in at 1.5 inches long. It’s called The Bullet Ant because its sting is equal to being shot according to some victims.

My foot came off second best to a bull ant in NSW outback. It left its reminder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here