Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Inheritance Tax question

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
I know Inheritance tax is set at £325,000 but if in a will the house , say value of £200,000 and have other savings of £200,000 is left to the children, is it included in the total of £400,000.
Or is the total for inheritance tax increased to £500,000 ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I know Inheritance tax is set at £325,000 but if in a will the house , say value of £200,000 and have other savings of £200,000 is left to the children, is it included in the total of £400,000.

It's the value of the whole estate as valued for probate so includes the house. Where do you get 500 000 from?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

IHT is calculated on the value of the estate which includes all property.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes it is included. I checked with the Home Secretary and got this update.
Three hundred thousand and thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If the parents house is left to the children then the threshold goes up to £500k b4 paying tax providing the whole estate is not worth more than £2 million . Obviously if both parents are alive and the parent who died first leaves it all to the surviving partner then the threshold effectively doubled to £650 k

40% payable there after

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Yes. But...

The inheritance allowance may be higher than £325,000. If the house is being left to children for example. Also if the first deceased partner in a marriage didn't use their allowance.

Get a solicitor to do the forms. They will know the rules. But DO NOT get them to the administration. It's junior work and they will give you instructions on what is needed.

I saved about £7000 for what was effectively a working week of admin and tasks that most junior clerks could do.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
If the parents house is left to the children then the threshold goes up to £500k b4 paying tax providing the whole estate is not worth more than £2 million . Obviously if both parents are alive and the parent who died first leaves it all to the surviving partner then the threshold effectively doubled to £650 k

40% payable there after
Many thanks

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Everyone has a nil rate band of £325k plus (since three years ago) something called the residence nil rate band which for this year is £175k. If the deceased lived in a house worth at least £175k and passed assets of that value to direct descendants they will have a total of £500k which is taxed at 0%, the balance is taxed at 40%.

If the deceased was married and their spouse died before them and didn’t use any of their nil rate band the figures can be doubled (but the house must have been worth at least £350k).

There are some complications to the above so if you want more details feel free to pm me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Aah, but is it a tax on the DEAD?

No a tax on the inheritors

Might want to check with [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] on that.

Sigh .... so hopefully for one final time ..... and using an example ( putting aside clever tax tricks ) .....

Someone dies with say £2m of assets. The IHT is based on those assets / estate / dead persons wealth - i.e. after nil rate deductions the tax is paid on the WHOLE amount - i.e. the dead person effectively pays it. It is paid BEFORE the inheritors get any of it.

Using the argument both of you have put forward would mean that the £2m estate was divided between say 10 people then no IHT would be paid because only "inheritors pay the IHT". Divide it between say three people and each would pay IHT above the nil rate band. In reality it's paid on the total estate and therefore not by the 'inheritors'.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sigh .... so hopefully for one final time ..... and using an example ( putting aside clever tax tricks ) .....

Someone dies with say £2m of assets. The IHT is based on those assets / estate / dead persons wealth - i.e. after nil rate deductions the tax is paid on the WHOLE amount - i.e. the dead person effectively pays it. It is paid BEFORE the inheritors get any of it.

Using the argument both of you have put forward would mean that the £2m estate was divided between say 10 people then no IHT would be paid because only "inheritors pay the IHT". Divide it between say three people and each would pay IHT above the nil rate band. In reality it's paid on the total estate and therefore not by the 'inheritors'.

So it's a tax based on the estate value, paid by the inheritors.

Where do the dead come into this again?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So it's a tax based on the estate value, paid by the inheritors.

Where do the dead come into this again?
No it's paid on the estate on behalf of the deceased. Then the inheritors get the rest.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Covered partially by [MENTION=3711]Driver8[/MENTION] above, but if it helps;

Each person has a NRB of £325,000. Married couples can effectively join their NRBs together to create an allowance of £650,000.

In addition to this, the Main Residence Nil Rate Band was introduced a couple of years ago, which stipulates that if you are leaving your main residence to direct descendants in your Will then you will also qualify for a further £175,000 each (£350,000).

Therefore, for married couples with children who are main beneficiaries of the will, in most cases you will have a total allowance of effectively £1million.

There are a few caveats and exceptions but that is the broad guidelines.

Feel free to PM if I can help any further - I work as an IFA.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here