Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fawlty Towers episode removed from UKTV

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
An episode of Fawlty Towers famous for coining the phrase, “Don’t mention the war!” has become the latest “classic” British television programme to be taken down from a BBC-owned streaming service, as broadcasters continue to conduct a reappraisal of old British television content.

The episode of the 1970s sitcom – in which John Cleese as Basil Fawlty goose-steps around a Torquay hotel while shouting the phrase – was recently removed from the BBC-controlled UKTV catch-up service."

Bloody snowflakes.....

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well that probably spells the end of 99% of all British tv comedy from the 1970's then

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
An episode of Fawlty Towers famous for coining the phrase, “Don’t mention the war!” has become the latest “classic” British television programme to be taken down from a BBC-owned streaming service, as broadcasters continue to conduct a reappraisal of old British television content.

The episode of the 1970s sitcom – in which John Cleese as Basil Fawlty goose-steps around a Torquay hotel while shouting the phrase – was recently removed from the BBC-controlled UKTV catch-up service."

Bloody snowflakes.....

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

****ing ridiculous

All they needed to do was have a short warning......’the following programme contains scenes that Nazi sympathisers may find offensive’ ?

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Although I don't think the phrase "Don't mention the war" is the reason it was pulled.

In the same episode, The Major refers to n*****s and w**s when talking about the cricket

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I assume you’re joking?

Luckily enough, we have all episodes on DVD, so can watch it to our hearts content. I love the overall theme mocking a painfully snobbish hotelier, whose Little Englander world is falling apart with rude kids, the nouveau riche, brash Americans, unmarried couples.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
FFS

Couldn't they have taken off Mrs Browns Boys instead given that all their shows are offensive to anyone who enjoys comedy.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Although I don't think the phrase "Don't mention the war" is the reason it was pulled.

In the same episode, The Major refers to n*****s and w**s when talking about the cricket

So if there is an issue, why not just cut that scene.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Don’t talk with facts, you’ll upset the outraged who probably haven’t even watched it for 10 years [emoji23]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I assume you’re joking?

Luckily enough, we have all episodes on DVD, so can watch it to our hearts content. I love the overall theme mocking a painfully snobbish hotelier, whose Little Englander world is falling apart with rude kids, the nouveau riche, brash Americans, unmarried couples.

The 'Indians aren't n*ggers, they're w*gs' bit is cringeworthy, now, though. The fact that the audience is laughing at the major's pedantry, rather than his racism, doesn't help.

I have watched FT countless times but some of it is quite cringeworthy, now. For example, the thick Irish builder doesn't sit well. Unlikely I'll bother watching it again :shrug:.

Anyway, something else for the broflakes to get enraged about. Slippery slope....etc. <sigh>

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

That’ll be the reason although I seen that episode loads of times and the offensive stuff has been muted.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
4D632710-7895-4BC2-918F-9D7B1DAC70CA.jpeg

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That’ll be the reason although I seen that episode loads of times and the offensive stuff has been muted.

Yup. Lots of stuff has been edited out of repeat showings now. Even the nations favourite, OFAH doesn't escape. I was watching one on Gold recently and a line when Damien calls Boycie a "batty boy", has been edited out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So if there is an issue, why not just cut that scene.

That would work for me.

Actually although I pissed myself the first few times I watched the 'silly walk' the last time I watched it, maybe 10 years ago, I found even that unfunny. The basic premise is that when an englishman gets concussion he thinks he can make germans laugh by impersonating Hitler. In the 70s I was too busy laughing at the silly walk to pick up on the fact the 'Germans' were upset. It was only when I went to Germany that I realised how shocking that scene would be to many of them. For the same reason I had to turn that Tarantino war film off when I saw the reaction of the German I was with.

We laugh at Henning Wehn when he gets us all to sing along to a song that 'hasn't been heard in Germany since 1944', but it may be that in 20 years his rather gentle humour is regarded as a bit off colour.

Actually, on second thoughts, leave FT online, unedited. It serves a purpose in some respects - it shows us how times a-change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here