Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] How Come Twitter Gets To Drive The Agenda?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dangerous times. Not helped by Trump sitting in his stained underpants in his bunker with a large whiskey issuing diktats in the wee small hours via twitter that grown-ups have to ascribe some kind of meaning to, even if there was not much meaning there in the first place.

And how come the Twitterati aren't given a warning slap across the bows before they disappear up their own bums? Might come as a surprise to them but... Other. People. Exist.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A lot of it is because lazy journalists spend their time trawling through that rather than actually doing the hard yards journalistically. Why go and wait in a car park in the pissing rain at 5am for a scoop when you can get more hits scrolling through that in Starbucks and just adding a bit of embellishment?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'll hazard a guess it's because Twitter is instant.

I know for a fact this thread will soon be full of:-

'I don't use Twatter but...' :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't use twitter. No 'buts' :shrug:

I'm a big fan of curated (edited, peer reviewed) information. Even that is sometimes full of lies.

The uncensored bleatings of unqualified ranters is not something anyone should engage with in my book. Thin end of the wedge. Slippery slope.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A lot of it is because lazy journalists spend their time trawling through that rather than actually doing the hard yards journalistically. Why go and wait in a car park in the pissing rain at 5am for a scoop when you can get more hits scrolling through that in Starbucks and just adding a bit of embellishment?

It's not so much lazy journalists; it's more that publishers have cut budgets to the bone, made massive numbers of hacks redundant and, those who are left, have to do three or four times as much writing (and, of course, less time for travelling, meeting contacts etc)

These are US statistics but they're grim - 23% of journalism jobs gone with ten years and that's before Covid-19

Given such bloodletting but with pages still to fill, Twitter's going to be an easy option

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I don't use twitter. No 'buts' :shrug:

I'm a big fan of curated (edited, peer reviewed) information. Even that is sometimes full of lies.

The uncensored bleatings of unqualified ranters is not something anyone should engage with in my book. Thin end of the wedge. Slippery slope.

What do you think this site is?!

Always amuses me when people use an internet message board to righteously proclaim that they don't use what is effectively a giant internet message board

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What do you think this site is?!

Always amuses me when people use an internet message board to righteously proclaim that they don't use what is effectively a giant internet message board

Whoosh! :facepalm:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In a way, its OK, its the people having their voice. We all want a voice. I know that when I used to read the musings of Charles Moore or Boris Johnson in my parent's telegraph back in the day, I wanted to shout back, to tell them why they were wrong, but I couldn't, no way to do that. Now we have twitter, so I could, if I wanted to... I don't, because of course it would be a waste of time.

Does it drive the agenda? Not sure. It follows the agenda, that's for sure; and it drives arguments and divisiveness making political discourse nastier; and it creates bubbles of opinion, encouraging politicians at the extremes to continue down their path...

We can see Trump doubling down on his law and order, anti-protests, anti-BLM stance - even though we can see from afar that his position is a minority view, that the agenda is very much on a different path - but his bubble is telling him he's right and he's supported....

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Spend a lot of my Interweb time on Twitter but I can see that diminishing. There's so little fun in it anymore as it's a diet and Politics and Insults no matter how well you clean up your timeline.

Some of the stuff tweeted to JK Rowling for example - Hardly one of Tommy's lot by any stretch - has highlighted just how bonkers some of the opinions and world has become.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Twitter is a nasty dark cess pit full of nasty dark people who get their rocks off on upsetting people.
A lot of the stuff on twitter is pure rabble rousing evil - both from the far left and the far right.
I use it only to find out the team at 2pm on a Saturday, what is causing the bloody great hold up in front of me or what today's excuse is for Southern Fail.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Because it is easier and quicker to form an opinion based upon 140 characters from someone you like than it is to form one yourself by reading endless articles and books? One can then get back to the important stuff like Love Island and Kim Kardashian's arse.

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
Why do we all feel the need to express our opinions to strangers about just about everything? (I note the irony of expressing my opinion to strangers here). When did it become a thing? Aren't we all a bit narcissistic and misspending our precious and diminishing available time in pursuit of a right now rush of approval? Perhaps we could all benefit from a little more positivism and less cruelty. I think perhaps we all walk around with a subconscious unhappiness when we inflict others to over-sized reactions to really quite trivial nonsense. Perhaps we can might live happier and more meaningful lives by simply listening and contemplating other POV without the need to lash out. Perhaps Twitter IS a reflection of where we are as a species and we were just waiting for a window to display our collective hatred.

I hope that isn't true and I wish ALL of my fellow Albion fans - regardless of your nationality, race, sexual orientation, social economic status, political persuasion, omnivorous/carnivorous chooses, remain/leave, climate change orientation, drinker/abstainer, left or right handed, Mail or Guardian a wonderful, positive and productive rest of your day. What we share is FAR more common than what we don't. We all hate Palace which is a good and noble start. Agree to disagree, be respectful and just be nicer to one other. Who knows where that might lead us all.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Why do we all feel the need to express our opinions to strangers about just about everything? (I note the irony of expressing my opinion to strangers here). When did it become a thing? Aren't we all a bit narcissistic and misspending our precious and diminishing available time in pursuit of a right now rush of approval? Perhaps we could all benefit from a little more positivism and less cruelty. I think perhaps we all walk around with a subconscious unhappiness when we inflict others to over-sized reactions to really quite trivial nonsense. Perhaps we can might live happier and more meaningful lives by simply listening and contemplating other POV without the need to lash out. Perhaps Twitter IS a reflection of where we are as a species and we were just waiting for a window to display our collective hatred.

I hope that isn't true and I wish ALL of my fellow Albion fans - regardless of your nationality, race, sexual orientation, social economic status, political persuasion, omnivorous/carnivorous chooses, remain/leave, climate change orientation, drinker/abstainer, left or right handed, Mail or Guardian a wonderful, positive and productive rest of your day. What we share is FAR more common than what we don't. We all hate Palace which is a good and noble start. Agree to disagree, be respectful and just be nicer to one other. Who knows where that might lead us all.

100 % agree - well said [MENTION=37596]Marlton and Hove Albion[/MENTION]

D

Deleted member 22389

Twitter is a nasty dark cess pit full of nasty dark people who get their rocks off on upsetting people.
A lot of the stuff on twitter is pure rabble rousing evil - both from the far left and the far right.
I use it only to find out the team at 2pm on a Saturday, what is causing the bloody great hold up in front of me or what today's excuse is for Southern Fail.

Best post of the day. :thumbsup:

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire

Ya big hippy :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 22389

Best post of the day part 2 :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

As you have autonomy over your Twitter feed, I can only assume you look for nasty dark people who get their rocks off on upsetting people.

I find it hard to believe Copenhagen's leading Urban Planner & Designer and some time University transportation lecturer goes out of his way to upset people.
In fact they are somewhat informative and now, thanks to Twitter, accessible to a fat bloke in West Sussex.

Twitter is what you want it to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here