Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My first point of interest is his factual accuracy. Should I ever feel the need to protest as my feelings are so strong about a cause, I would like to know that my data was accurate.

If I found out that my ire was aimed in the wrong direction, then I might point at the original perpetrators instead.

I assume he would, having no other agenda.

I wasn’t asking you, I was asking [MENTION=35289]Baker lite[/MENTION] to clarify.

I agree, by the way, that his placard is crap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-statues-removed-orders-landmarks-review.html

Workmen remove monument to 18th Century slave dealer Robert Milligan on wharf he helped construct in London's docklands - after protesters draw up hit list of 60 'racist statues' on day of Black Lives Matter protests across Britain

I am aware you tend to post links to things without comment, which is very public spirited, especially for those of us who refuse to read the Hitler supporting Mail, but I'd be interested in your take on this. Do you think it's a good or bad thing to remove a slaver statue?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Only taken him 4 years to get round to it, you'd have thought if he cared that much it would've been one of the first things he when he become the London mayor, its as if he's jumping on the bandwagon.

It's a shame he can't focus as much effort on the problem of knife crime in his city but hey, let's pull down a few statues to make everyone feel better.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a shame he can't focus as much effort on the problem of knife crime in his city but hey, let's pull down a few statues to make everyone feel better.

So you don’t think the mayor of London has expended as much effort (a couple of zoom meetings?) on knife crime, at any point in the last few years? :shrug:

Maybe best stick to the hilarious posts lampooning love of the royal family and daytime TV.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All I am seeing is erase, destroy and remove. I just hope we all get a say in what is going to pop up in their places. It's all getting a bit authoritarian for my liking. Anybody who dares question stuff is immediately labelled racist (Brexit, immigration too) and complicit with systemic racism. Don't get me even started on white guilt/privilege. It seems to me that it's ok to label whiteness racist. Itself a racist act.

The quality of your reasoning and choice of exemplars in your comments is doing the opposite of improving, if you don't mind my saying so. The comment I highlight above is the epitome of absurdity, I'm sorry to tell you. I'll put it to you that when a black man objects to racism you appear to consider that racist. That strikes me as a bit peciliar. I fear that as your anger and outrage mounts there may be a danger of your head exploding. None of us want to see that. :shrug: #prayforRazzoo

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I hope someone comes up with a formula for determining which statues are acceptable. Or maybe a points based system of totting up divided by how many centuries ago it happened. That would probably sort the whole thing out and people would stop arguing. :)

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

Couldn't agree more, but be careful saying that on here, you'll be called a racist quicker than you can say BLM.

With knife crime I would take a statistical approach and start by looking at the demographic of the main perpetrators of knife crime, so age, gender ethnicity would be taken into consideration I would then apply the same demographic test to the victims of knife crime, once a profile of both has been established I would announce that if you fall within that demographic you can expect to be stopped and searched between 6pm and 6am. It will never happen but to me it makes total sense.

Awaits the usual suspects to swoop in.......

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Brexiteers must be terribly confused. They voted to get rid of folks with foreign heritage and now there are people out there standing up for their human rights and for equality. Their tiny minds must be blown.

There have been some very telling posts on here since these protests began.

Hopefully when the full extent of the Tory lies about Brexit are understood we will see similar passion form UK citizens. Especially from those who were conned.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
An open goal for the Mayor.

Gangs murdering hundreds of fellow Londoners, unabated, only gets sporadic interest from the public.

Probably because knives 'only' accounted for 71 fatalities in London, last year.
Which is an 18% reduction on the previous year.

I will also guess that not all 71 were gang related, but although I have no idea how the statistics are compiled, I wonder if there's a chance those figures also include defensive stabbings, from say domestic violence..

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/knife-crime-england-london-hits-record-high-a4342451.html

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Couldn't agree more, but be careful saying that on here, you'll be called a racist quicker than you can say BLM.

With knife crime I would take a statistical approach and start by looking at the demographic of the main perpetrators of knife crime, so age, gender ethnicity would be taken into consideration I would then apply the same demographic test to the victims of knife crime, once a profile of both has been established I would announce that if you fall within that demographic you can expect to be stopped and searched between 6pm and 6am. It will never happen but to me it makes total sense.

Awaits the usual suspects to swoop in.......

in your scenario, what is the ethnicity of the coppers?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably because knives 'only' accounted for 71 fatalities in London, last year.
Which is an 18% reduction on the previous year.

I will also guess that not all 71 were gang related, but although I have no idea how the statistics are compiled, I wonder if there's a chance those figures also include defensive stabbings, from say domestic violence..

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/knife-crime-england-london-hits-record-high-a4342451.html

You’ve referring to a year, I didn’t mention a time frame and meant in recent years.

Hundreds of often black youths and young adults, robbed of their lives in London, due to knife and gun crime.

Teenagers alone:
99AE27B1-9122-4F8F-8B7F-EB818F354032.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
An open goal for the Mayor.

Gangs murdering hundreds of fellow Londoners, unabated, only gets sporadic interest from the public.

There have been repeated protests from within the involved communities (mostly black) about knife crime. It doesn't get taken up more widely in society in part because, as you say, wider society doesn't care (black on black is 'of no interest to anyone' innit.....unless it can be used for snide purposes).

There is an opportunity for society to turn its eyes back on this, though.

Incidentally, it has almost become a trope that anyone who sympathizes with removal of slaver statues and an end to institutionalised racism and white privilage is de facto not just a supporter but a member of a 'terrorist' organization called BLM.

So defending slaver statues must be OK, right? Mugs. Mugs. How easily the forces of darkness corrupt our imperative.

Likewise, if we oppose facism we are members of the terrorist organization called 'antifa'.

So facists must be OK, right? Mugs, mugs.

At every protest there are SWP goons with their silly banners advocating smashing the state. They were there back in RAR days, among the opposition to the NF...

So NF must be OK, right? Mugs.

But the difference is that today those opposing racism should not, do not and will not have to defend their stance because of 'whatabout' 'BLM' defacing a war memorial. Etc.

Any idiot can see there is no connection.

Unless you want to see one of course. 'Yeah but, left wing, knife crime, mugging, a dad at 17 and 5 times at 22....they deserved to be beaten up. It was an open invitation' With apologies to [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] for stealing one of his memorable satires.

Racism is racism and it cannot be left to thrive unchallenged, notwithstanding the whataboutery, or the mugs that fool for it. And the ***** that promote it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I hope someone comes up with a formula for determining which statues are acceptable. Or maybe a points based system of totting up divided by how many centuries ago it happened. That would probably sort the whole thing out and people would stop arguing. :)

Happy to write the algorithm.

As long as the statues are removed by bona fide council employees (ideally members of a union) and not a band of vigilantes.

It isn't a laughing matter, though. I'd be a bit miffed if I knew there was a statue somewhere in the UK of the man who raped my great great great grandmother and whipped 2 of her kids to death. Just sayin', like.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
The quality of your reasoning and choice of exemplars in your comments is doing the opposite of improving, if you don't mind my saying so. The comment I highlight above is the epitome of absurdity, I'm sorry to tell you. I'll put it to you that when a black man objects to racism you appear to consider that racist. That strikes me as a bit peciliar. I fear that as your anger and outrage mounts there may be a danger of your head exploding. None of us want to see that. :shrug: #prayforRazzoo

I'm chilled, save your prayers. When you take a group of people and tell them they are privileged and oppressors, then take a different group and tell them they are the victims of that opression, do you think it's going to unite these groups or stir up resentment? A lad in Cork got sliced up the other day by a gang of oppressed lads. That is where this bullshit is heading. There will be retaliation, violence. Summer of hate?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm chilled, save your prayers. When you take a group of people and tell them they are privileged and oppressors, then take a different group and tell them they are the victims of that opression, do you think it's going to unite these groups or stir up resentment? A lad in Cork got sliced up the other day by a gang of oppressed lads. That is where this bullshit is heading. There will be retaliation, violence. Summer of hate?

Yes, it could get nasty, I'll grant you that. But I don't personally feel inclined to provide a running commentary. Especially a predictive one, with added blamesplaining. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here