Newhaven
image.jpg

???
What has Gandhi done wrong?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Get rid of it.......it’s like they said on the show....... he only made one decent film.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Bit worried for Lady Godiva up this way. Flaunted her body about. Will probably get feminists agitated in the current climate.
rlady-godiva-statue.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's about thought v action.

Every single form of homage to anyone ever would need to be torn down otherwise.

Most people are celebrated for their deeds. And Ghandi did something pretty major in his life. Although I'm not quite so sure it worked out as well as it could.

He was racist and had run-ins with indigenous South Africans. There was other stuff (although I'm not sure it's all substantiated).

Colston is different. He actively was involved in a terrible trade. Ghandi just had an attitude that was prevalent at his time, as did Churchill.

In the end we are all racists to a greater or lesser degree. Maybe we just shouldn't have statues.

As I saw someone say earlier, they may have said or done what we consider today, as racist actions/words, however back then, 70-80 years ago this terms were the norm and it wasn't seen as racist.

It's inexcusable to spray memorials, statues and other public property to make a point. I am completely for these protests but get fed up when idiots show up and ruin it. With a mainly right win media, this makes them all look bad one they aren't.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
He was a racist :shrug:

Does that cancel out anything good that he ever did?

We might as well just burn all the history books and start again, have only two books containing a list of names. Non racists in the black book, racists in the white book. Forget whether their opinions changed during their life or if they were a product of prevailing opinions of the time.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Does that cancel out anything good that he ever did?

We might as well just burn all the history books and start again, have only two books containing a list of names. Non racists in the black book, racists in the white book. Forget whether their opinions changed during their life or if they were a product of prevailing opinions of the time.

Indeed, I bet if I said Africans were one step away from animals or routinely referred to the inhabitants of Africa as savages I would get a ban on here.

Ghandi had clear and published extreme views on racial superiority, not acceptable today, so pull it down and put it in a museum. That seems to be the view on how we confront uncomfortable history these days.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's about thought v action.

Every single form of homage to anyone ever would need to be torn down otherwise.

Most people are celebrated for their deeds. And Ghandi did something pretty major in his life. Although I'm not quite so sure it worked out as well as it could.

He was racist and had run-ins with indigenous South Africans. There was other stuff (although I'm not sure it's all substantiated).

Colston is different. He actively was involved in a terrible trade. Ghandi just had an attitude that was prevalent at his time, as did Churchill.

In the end we are all racists to a greater or lesser degree. Maybe we just shouldn't have statues.

Or we should have statues and we could tackle the problem of racism instead of being sidetracked into the non problem of statues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here