Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Jacinda Arden

Following a comment on another thread and the way New Zealand tackled the virus crisis, Jacinda Arden is now the most popular PM in over a century.
There is a General Election due in September and her Labour Party has a 30% lead in the most recent opinion poll. In addition she has a 50% lead over the new opposition leader as best choice for PM.
Lots of lessons for other politicians to learn on the best way of dealing with a crisis.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
She's been impressive in so many ways. When I lived there for 14 months years ago, the odious Robert Muldoon was PM. Views on a par with the extreme fringes of the current UK government. Horrible man.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Following a comment on another thread and the way New Zealand tackled the virus crisis, Jacinda Arden is now the most popular PM in over a century.
There is a General Election due in September and her Labour Party has a 30% lead in the most recent opinion poll. In addition she has a 50% lead over the new opposition leader as best choice for PM.
Lots of lessons for other politicians to learn on the best way of dealing with a crisis.

Yes indeed, lock it down at the earliest possible opportunity. :shrug:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Following my comment on another thread and not many people seeing it, and the way New Zealand tackled the virus crisis, Jacinda Arden is now the most popular PM in over a century.

Slightly amended for you..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You can't argue with her record but I said a while back that NZ was one of the easier countries to protect. In football terms she's kept her composure and buried a tap in.

Tiny population, 4 hours flight to the nearest country, 8 hours to the next nearest, literally on the edge of the world.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You can't argue with her record but I said a while back that NZ was one of the easier countries to protect. In football terms she's kept her composure and buried a tap in.

Tiny population, 4 hours flight to the nearest country, 8 hours to the next nearest, literally on the edge of the world.

But hugely reliant on tourism and so would have had loads of people visit in Jan and Feb and would have had huge pressure on her to keep everything open. She didn't and look at the results

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
She has a 30 point lead because she displays clear and genuine empathy with her citizens.

More importantly, she has got the big calls right. That surely the first thing you expect from your leaders. That they are intelligent and get the best people around them. This enables you to get those decisions right. (I kind of look at Arden as kind of a Paul Barber figure, but with added humanity).

Contrast this with the complete shower of p*** we've got over here. Dogmatic, deceitful, career driven, opportunistic. We have a leadership selected not because of any ability or compassion, (the half decent ones were kicked out), the leader and cabinet we have were selected solely due to ideological fervour.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

They're an island which makes it easier to control borders than many, but regardless of population and proximity I don't think it was any easier for them than us. We just neglected to do so .... big points scored for leadership

But hugely reliant on tourism and so would have had loads of people visit in Jan and Feb and would have had huge pressure on her to keep everything open. She didn't and look at the results

Tourism represents a little over 5% of their GDP so not really hugely reliant but still a tough (and imo) correct decision

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Very true, an easy country to lock down and was late to get the virus. All the same a decent PM compare her with Australia's Scott Morrison, night and day

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Yes and a lot of those visitors would have come from the far East. We have been lucky enough to have spent five weeks there and the country seems to have instilled the line of thought 'WITH FREEDOM YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITY and from what we saw it works.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Someone addressed this on the main thread I think. Tourism for NZ is a lower % of GDP than the UK, they're not reliant on it.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
it's what happens when you let adults run a country

we could learn a few lessons for sure

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
They're an island which makes it easier to control borders than many, but regardless of population and proximity I don't think it was any easier for them than us. We just neglected to do so .... big points scored for leadership

You can't really disregard population and proximity, they're pretty important factors. Look on a map and draw a 1000 mile circumference around Auckland, imagine how much ingress/egress is happening, imagine the population density for that area.

Now do the same thing anywhere in Europe.

Obviously she would've done better than any of our lot, that's not even in question, but I'd bet had she been in charge here there would be plenty more criticism than she gets now.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

I don’t think it has anything to do with politics more common sense and following the right advice . As a country the UK had plenty of opportunity to do what was clearly needed early doors. Ie close the borders , lockdown , track and trace etc but choose to wait until it was already too late . Stupidity yes , incompetence yes . Would Labour have done any better , we will never know . I’m not convinced it would have been much different .

Sensible countries like New Zealand , Australia, C Republic, Israel etc all took firm decisive action early ,and all have far fewer deaths per head of population . we as usual pussy footed around .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tourism represents a little over 5% of their GDP so not really hugely reliant but still a tough (and imo) correct decision

Is that why the UK also has next to no Covid whereas in Germany it.....oh.....hang on.....:mad:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I don’t think it has anything to do with politics more common sense and following the right advice . As a country the UK had plenty of opportunity to do what was clearly needed early doors. Ie close the borders , lockdown , track and trace etc but choose to wait until it was already too late . Stupidity yes , incompetence yes . Would Labour have done any better , we will never know . I’m not convinced it would have been much different .

Sensible countries like New Zealand , Australia, C Republic, Israel etc all took firm decisive action early ,and all have far fewer deaths per head of population . we as usual pussy footed around .

I do agree that we will never know. But what if we still had the Cameron liberal coalition?

Also, would we have beaten West Germany had the Russian linesman disallowed the goal?

Not sure there is any need for yet another thread to degenerate to Boris versus Corbyn, but now it has, we will never know.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I wonder how healthy it is long term for NZ to have such a weak opposition, a bit like Scottish PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here