Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Zealand - full crowds allowed at sports event

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/...ands-super-rugby-aotearoa-organisers-20200608

Seems amazing that NZ went from one of the most strict decisive lock downs to being able to feel safe to hold mass gatherings at sports events within 3 or 4 months.

They've kept their cases below 2000, their deaths below 30.

Different population, density, economy and all that, but still, that is a really remarkable success of their policies for the crisis.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Indeed, a remarkable success and well done to them, it could well end in tears though, hopefully the virus IS naturally becoming less virulent as many think and as many coronaviruses do, then their tactic will have worked a treat

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Personally think they have just kicked the can down the road.

Are they going to keep the border shut for ever?
Maybe they will.

A 2 week quarantine on incoming people in a place as remote as New Zealand is potentially sustainable until the virus pretty much dies out worldwide.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A pity that the 2 games this weekend are at 6am Saturday and 4am Sunday UK time. I probably would have watched if they'd taken place a bit later.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Always at a massive advantage with a small population and geographically isolated.

That said, having one of the best PM's on the world stage does help, in complete contrast to the mother country...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Doesn’t this show how unrealistic the model is?

I don't think any model is perfect, in this case it does look like mistakes were made, people will always slip through the net, so to speak, it's about how they react to those new cases that will determine the success of what New Zealand are doing.

The women weren't tested when they should have been while in quarantine and then were released early on compassionate grounds to visit a dying parent. NZ have now suspended the compassionate exemption to quarantine rules. They've also said they will look at the option of using the military to enforce quarantine and run the facilities.

The New Zealand Prime Minister said when they announced they were Covid-19 free that they would get more cases, but it looks like they are very open about mistakes they make and very reactive to understand where things went wrong and addressing them.

D

Deleted member 2719

Or have they?

We’re doing our best to reinfect them!

“NZ reports two new cases after a month without any, both recent arrivals from the UK.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-asia-53059633

I assume that was a tongue in cheek poke at the UK, but you never can tell with you lot being so anti-patriotic.

This just shows this disease is far from gone.

Those protesters that squashed themselves together and broke all social distance rules, may just have put a lot of innocent people at risk.

I am sure you didn't condone it but, wasn't that just absolute madness?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
It really pisses me off. We could have done the same as the Kiwis, but the turd in charge refused to work toward elimination. We probably had another 4 weeks of lock down to go and we would have been there. Victoria did not want to ease restrictions but bowed to pressure from the turd in charge and the other states, and now Melbourne is back in lock down for another 6 weeks, with regional Victorians vary of new cases and further lockdowns. For all their grandstanding I expect the same will happen in NSW and QLD as well. The one thing the Kiwis had that many other countries didn't was a PM with a brain who listened to the health advice and rapidly took the country into hard lock down, sure it was made easier by having a low population density. As to the comments that they have just kicked the can down the road, how so? they now have an economy that is fully open, the tourism continues because while foreigners are not allowed in the kiwis are not allowed out, so local tourism is flourishing, and they can bide their time in safety until we see effective treatments/vaccines next year. It is much harder to do this in Europe, but if you live on an island it can be done. The UK screwed it up at the start, meaning that while it would have be possible alter the approach and eliminate the virus the economic and social harm made it impossible.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
This just shows this disease is far from gone.

Not really, two travellers in quarantine were allowed out early to visit a dying relative, they then tested positive. All the contacts are now in hard lock down and the quarantine system has been made as virus tight as possible. Ardern did her nut about the complacent actions of those in charge and it wont be happening again, and so far there have been now new cases arise from this f**kup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here