Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football is coming back, but not as we know it

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Long article in Times, including how Potterball may be disadvantaged:

The teams that could be most vulnerable are bottom-half clubs with a relatively small squad but a demanding tactical concept. Brighton & Hove Albion, who under Graham Potter had been undergoing a radical tactical reboot before lockdown hit, stand out as one club that might be particularly disadvantaged.

Curtis Edwards, a midfielder with Djurgardens in Sweden who played under Potter at Östersunds, does not expect his old manager to deliberately adjust his front-foot, possession-based approach, but thinks Brighton’s style could make the restart tougher.

“Graham is obsessed with how he wants to play. Monday to Friday is massive,” he says. “He’d [show] us all week how we’re going to set up to dominate the ball. We did passing sequences in training. For players who are unfamiliar with it, it helps them become better in possession . . . [if] they’ve ended up under Chris Hughton or other managers who defend low and try to get goals at set pieces."

Full article (paywall) >>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-is-coming-back-but-not-as-we-know-it-nbqzgnxhh

Last edited by a moderator:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From that article one would think the GP had just arrived and the players are still playing with the CH mindset. We have had a few months of Potterball, I think the players have adapted well. Our strikers and midfielders are poor finishers, that is likely to continue to be our downfall rather than our style of play. Decent finishing would have seen us comfortably mid table, GP has got through to the players on style of play imo.

Interesting article though

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think that underplays Potter’s intelligence. The man is incredibly bright, he is going to have factored in the break to the training that we’re doing and the way we will play taking it into account.

Maybe I’m being too positive but I actually think we’re at an advantage ahead of most clubs because of the way he trains the players and gets them to think about the game during training. A lot of other managers will rely on match paractise instead to get the players used to a system and way of playing, look how we started the season with a bang.

We’d also hit a rut before lockdown with regards to scoring goals and not getting the points we deserved which I believe was a mental issue. The break will hopefully have cleared that and the players will go into the restart with a fresh, positive mindset.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
At least it will test the theory that the anxious crowd at home led to mistakes / bad results / pressure on players which was trotted out pre-lockdown

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I just hope most of the players took the opportunity to get some shooting practice in. other than that we were doing fine.

Stumpy Tim

I would suggest the lack of intensity the journalist mentions will favour us. We tend to find it harder against the high-intensity high-press teams. We also have a good sized squad with very similar level of players. Villa for example will still rely on Grealish, and he´ll be knackered towards the end of the season.

Our biggest problem is the fixtures we have left, but I still think we´ll pick up 2 or 3 points from the big teams we have left to play

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We're loose

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think that underplays Potter’s intelligence. The man is incredibly bright, he is going to have factored in the break to the training that we’re doing and the way we will play taking it into account.

Maybe I’m being too positive but I actually think we’re at an advantage ahead of most clubs because of the way he trains the players and gets them to think about the game during training. A lot of other managers will rely on match paractise instead to get the players used to a system and way of playing, look how we started the season with a bang.

We’d also hit a rut before lockdown with regards to scoring goals and not getting the points we deserved which I believe was a mental issue. The break will hopefully have cleared that and the players will go into the restart with a fresh, positive mindset.

I really hope you are right.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
'Relatively small squad'? What nonsense. The squad lists on the back of the Arsenal programme show that moneybags Arsenal have a squad larger than ours by precisely one, including such household names as Matt Macey and Pablo Mari.

We have an unbalanced squad, short on strikers and left backs and long on central defenders and lightweight midfield players - but small? No.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There was a chat on the radio the other day re the five subs rule which they thought would favour Brighton ..as Potter is known for changing the style of play mid match......game of opinions

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Tend to agree - our form has been pretty dreadful in 2020 - no wins in 9 in the league and knocked out of the FA Cup, so on a positive note surely we can't get any worse?

Hoping for far better.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
We play a possession based game and we have a squad who mostly can also play a low block or a pressing game. I'd say the circumstances are an advantage to us rather than a problem. We have a squad or similar ability players who are flexible and can play in a variety of positions. Our problem is the same one we've had all season, turning our possession into goals.

We have some tough games but so do the others and I'm quietly confident we'll be OK. If you look at the goal difference which is normally a fair indicator of a teams underlying form we are a much better side than we have shown to date. Points are ultimately all that matter but we are better than at least three teams in this league and I think we will show that...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
'Relatively small squad'? What nonsense.

Indeed:

brighton-and-hove-albion-v-burnley-premier-league-football-american-express-community-stadium-brighton-uk-shutterstock-editorial-10411718al.jpg

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It was also apparent in the last couple of games before lock down, that we were taking a less risky approach and focussing on not getting beaten. At the time this was working. Our points and goal difference advantage, gives us cause for optimism and whilst this advantage could quickly pass in a mini league scenario, currently there is no specific reason for doom and gloom.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Bissouma had put in 2 back to back MOM performances (despite what some pissed up sponsor at the Amex thought) the Scottish lad looked very impressive in his cameo at Wolves. The big question is will that continue 3 months later?
It’s helped us in that now Burn and Connolly are both fully fit and Mooy is rested up. Connolly hasn’t been fully fit since Arsenal away.
I’m quietly optimistic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bissouma had put in 2 back to back MOM performances (despite what some pissed up sponsor at the Amex thought) the Scottish lad looked very impressive in his cameo at Wolves. The big question is will that continue 3 months later?
It’s helped us in that now Burn and Connolly are both fully fit and Mooy is rested up. Connolly hasn’t been fully fit since Arsenal away.
I’m quietly optimistic.

Spot on. Connolly also had an op didn’t he ? Clearly had been carrying some kind of groin issue (think that’s what I read) prior to the suspension of the season so they took the opportunity to get it fixed ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’m quietly optimistic.
This, Connolly injured was massive for us his pace frightened sides and they couldn’t push up on us as much. Yes he’s still learning the game which is why I’m even more disappointed we don’t push the boat out & sign an experienced pacy striker to take pressure of young Connolly.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
At least it will test the theory that the anxious crowd at home led to mistakes / bad results / pressure on players which was trotted out pre-lockdown

The theory is well put here:
http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/could-an-empty-amex-stadium-help-brightons-survival-bid/

There can’t be many areas of the Amex where you can’t hear some screaming, foaming gammon-boomer ranting on to our defenders to ‘launch it’ or ‘get rid’ every time they have possession and an opposition player comes within 5 metres of them; that is the opposite to Potterball.

We controlled the match away at Wolves and we’ll be able to do the same in almost every other game we’ve got left post lockdown.

I’d be surprised if we lose more than 3 games.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Spot on. Connolly also had an op didn’t he ? Clearly had been carrying some kind of groin issue (think that’s what I read) prior to the suspension of the season so they took the opportunity to get it fixed ?

Connolly's surgery was ankle surgery for an injury he picked up in training in the lead up to the postponed Arsenal fixture.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here