Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] eBay sellers, anyone used Packlink?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Confused. Are they saying it's Hermes but at better prices or a new courier service. If it's Hermes it's the same price for under 1kg and a few pennies cheaper for over 1kg.
As for a review for Hermes, 99% of the time it is fine. That 1% can be a real pain chasing a parcel. Delivery can be 2 days to 7 days.
Recently booked a parcel collection as my local drop off is closed. Tracking said it had been collected but it hadn't. When I complained they told me my parcel had been held up at a depot. One week later I claimed and got £20, meanwhile resent the original parcel. I do take pictures of the parcel weight as they've tried to charge me extra saying a parcel was overweight. I won by proving them wrong.
But I expect all couriers are the same.
Must say well done to FedEx who got a parcel to Las Vegas in three days.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Confused. Are they saying it's Hermes but at better prices or a new courier service. If it's Hermes it's the same price for under 1kg and a few pennies cheaper for over 1kg.
As for a review for Hermes, 99% of the time it is fine. That 1% can be a real pain chasing a parcel. Delivery can be 2 days to 7 days.
Recently booked a parcel collection as my local drop off is closed. Tracking said it had been collected but it hadn't. When I complained they told me my parcel had been held up at a depot. One week later I claimed and got £20, meanwhile resent the original parcel. I do take pictures of the parcel weight as they've tried to charge me extra saying a parcel was overweight. I won by proving them wrong.
But I expect all couriers are the same.
Must say well done to FedEx who got a parcel to Las Vegas in three days.

Not sure tbh, that's why I posted.

I also have only had 1 issue ever with Hermes, I never take the additional insurance and must have saved a fortune.

RM about a quid cheaper for small / medium parcels atm.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Since Xmas the only issues I have had have been with Parcelforce (which I won't use again) and RM Special Delivery of which one was lost/stolen in January and just had another load of problems with one. Fedex brilliant and delivered to NY in just over 24 hours - Hermes and Collect + very good...until something goes wrong then they a nightmare

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
I sell quite a Bit on ebay and never use Hermes. . Not good service and atrocious when something went wrong. Try contacting them or visit the site and see if there are contact details, all these sites should have an email address and phone number.
Only positive is their delivery driver locally is hot.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
PackLink has always been MyHermes whenever I've used it - never had a problem.

Always cheaper than the RM equivalent service.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I also have only had 1 issue ever with Hermes, I never take the additional insurance and must have saved a fortune.

Then I think [from my experience] you've been lucky - I do bits and bobs on eBay and was always happy to use Hermes via Parcel2Go. Most of my stuff was £10-£30 value but in March I sold my MS Surface Pro tablet for £450 on eBay - the insurance to cover this value was £45 so because Hermes had been reliable with several small value items, I took the punt .... Hermes "lost" the parcel and all I got back [after refunding the full amount back to the buyer obviously] was the standard £20.

Mrs SS bought a £120 item via Groupon in early April - Hermes also "lost" this too. Might be I've just been unlucky and there is a Hermes "tea-leaf" in my area - but I'll not be using them again, ever, for anything ... my loss must become their loss!

The cynic in my says there are opportunist folk working in the courier industry that are subbing the low wages with the higher value stuff being allowed to go missing. With everything being bar-coded and scanned I would have hoped the internal investigation [they told me had been undertaken] would have pointed to how these parcels went missing, specifically who.

As my mum always says to me: "You pays for yer learning!"

So, as far as I'm concerned, Hermes are/employ crooks #neveragain

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
We've never had a problem with Hermes, but if you want to send stuff worth more than a score, use Royal Mail.
I'm afraid it's the nature of the beast with couriers/delivery companies. Some one, somewhere, will have nightmare stories about a certain company and won't use it because of it. I don't like DHL or DPD!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Just sold an item on eBay and didn't realise that the option to pay via eBay is called Packlink! [my bad]

So, yes, since my massive let down [unforgivable] with Hermes [stealing my Surface Pro] I now use Packlink all the time for my eBay sales.
Rates appear to be slightly discounted Royal Mail and only a matter of a few pence more [on small stuff] than Hermes. - 1kg small parcel for £2.95
Items are dropped off at the Post Office and delivered through the Royal Mail system - very happy with the 20-odd parcels I've sent this way in the last couple of months.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I only use ebay for selling old stuff, not for business. I use different services for different things. RM for small valuable, quick, guaranteed and under 2kg. Cheap crap larger my hermes, with a few additions . . . . Anything vagualy valuable 2-30kg Parceforce 48. Having said that, I've learned different services work better for different countries. Italy is a gamble, Scandinavia is very Good. NZ/Aus are incredible, had an engine delivered to AUckland in 5 days, a box of car parts to Adelaide in under 3!

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I only use ebay for selling old stuff, not for business. I use different services for different things. RM for small valuable, quick, guaranteed and under 2kg. Cheap crap larger my hermes, with a few additions . . . . Anything vagualy valuable 2-30kg Parceforce 48. Having said that, I've learned different services work better for different countries. Italy is a gamble, Scandinavia is very Good. NZ/Aus are incredible, had an engine delivered to AUckland in 5 days, a box of car parts to Adelaide in under 3!

Same here - at least mimicking your RM and Hermes criteria, I'm not in the market for shipping motors across the globe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here