Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Space saving stairs

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Does anyone know anywhere in Sussex that would have a set of space saving stairs on display that customers could walk up and down. I'm considering purchasing a set but due to a muscular condition my eldest child has to place both feet on each step when climbing the stairs so I'd like him to try a set before we install some

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Does anyone know anywhere in Sussex that would have a set of space saving stairs on display that customers could walk up and down. I'm considering purchasing a set but due to a muscular condition my eldest child has to place both feet on each step when climbing the stairs so I'd like him to try a set before we install some

I’m not sure where sells them but they are very steep and often only used as a more permanent access to lofts or indeed converted lofts that haven’t got PP or BR. Good luck

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My neighbour has some P-shaped stairs, and they are quite tricky. You have to start off on the correct foot or you're likely to tumble. And they're a liability in the middle of the night when you need the loo, or have had a few pints (as I found out when we stayed in their house for a while whilst having some work done in ours). Not sure they're the best things for using one step at a time, you may be better off with a proper ladder type steep loft stair with handrail.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
754e6a707cf543b7c1f0a34b5f27674d.jpg

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I’m not sure where sells them but they are very steep and often only used as a more permanent access to lofts or indeed converted lofts that haven’t got PP or BR. Good luck

Obviously I wouldn't be converting the loft into a games room for the kids. I just want everyone to be able to access it in as dignified a way as possible

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
What’s the current method of access?

A step ladder in the hallway and I pull myself up, I'm looking at completely different access from a bedroom. My run is only 1.8m but the floor to floor height is 2.4m

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
A step ladder in the hallway and I pull myself up, I'm looking at completely different access from a bedroom. My run is only 1.8m but the floor to floor height is 2.4m

It sounds to me that the plan is for the attic to be converted/utilised into a playroom albeit without sky lights or dormers and perhaps said staircase might be going into the kids bedroom? Am I close?

Just be advised those space savers entice people to come down facing forward which is very dangerous, at least with a decent lift ladder one would climb up and down safely. [emoji106]

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It sounds to me that the plan is for the attic to be converted/utilised into a playroom albeit without sky lights or dormers and perhaps said staircase might be going into the kids bedroom? Am I close?

No, not a bedroom. Some storage space and a place to move the items around or ly them out on the floor. The only people I would allow to sleep up there would be the in-laws if we couldn't discourage them from visiting

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
No, not a bedroom. Some storage space and a place to move the items around or ly them out on the floor. The only people I would allow to sleep up there would be the in-laws if we couldn't discourage them from visiting

I didn’t say converted to a bedroom, I meant the said staircase and access would come from the existing bedroom underneath the attic.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I didn’t say converted to a bedroom, I meant the said staircase and access would come from the existing bedroom underneath the attic.

Yes the access would come from a bedroom. Although we would be putting in a skylight window to help with ventilation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here