Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 5 Live past and present.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come on folks, someone should have removed this discussion from the BLM's thread hours ago.

Anyhoo here it is so crack on...

Peter Allen was a giant among men.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Come on folks, someone should have removed this discussion from the BLM's thread hours ago.

As much as Nihal Arthanayake is a midget. If he says dude one more f***ing time :rant:

Tony Livesy and Anna Foster are still good, but when I used to work (10 years ago now :eek:) I used to drive a lot and listened to most of the R5 shows during the day. The quality, from the little I hear these days, does seem to have taken a dive :down:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not so keen. He sounded like he didn't believe anything said by anyone he interviewed, left or right. Ever. I often thought 'give it a rest you tiresome old cynic, ffs'.

My absolte favourites, Nicky Campbell and Danny Baker. The original 606 (with occasional musical interludes by the likes of Steely Dan. Emma Barnett is also brilliant.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not so keen. He sounded like he didn't believe anything said by anyone he interviewed, left or right. Ever. I often thought 'give it a rest you tiresome old cynic, ffs'.

My absolte favourites, Nicky Campbell and Danny Baker. The original 606 (with occasional musical interludes by the likes of Steely Dan. Emma Barnett is also brilliant.

Danny Baker's 606 was amazing fun, the first to look at football from obscure angles and to really involve the listeners, some of the topics live on in my memories still, the Wooden Bow Tie, Being Hit by The Ball, Unusual Items Thrown on to The Pitch , Odd Things Used as Goalposts...…..

As for Emma Barnett, she is a rising star for sure, I heard someone phone in to her show the other week saying that government were doing an excellent job of tackling Covid-19 and that there was a left wing bias in the media which did not want to hear support for the government as it did not fit their agenda.

She let him have his way and then gently pointed out "where is this bias then when I'm letting you have your opinion live on air ?" He carried on for a bit and he was really digging a hole for himself, Barnett just let him bumble along with his half baked theories for a couple of minutes then clinically took his argument apart using his own words. Excellent radio !

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Emma Barnet ...well ive said my piece on the other thread,,,,no thanks and that geese in the afternoon...well he’s just plain boring

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Have always had 5live as my go to station. Enjoy the multitalented Nicky C/Rachel B and the Tony L/Anna F drive show but Emma B is far and away the best presenter in terms of questioning - she’s brilliant! Danny B’s Saturday morning show was pure entertainment for 2 hours and has not been replaced - I don’t think it will be - a genuine football fan despite Millwall being his club! He managed to create really funny material from a series of seemingly inane topics.
I also find the regular sports updates following news bulletins really handy if you can only dip in a few times and for insomniacs some of the through the night shows can be very good too. Afraid I’m old enough to remember Peter Allen/Jane Garvey from the early days and Adrian Chiles hosting Wake Up To Money! Still a good station on the whole.

Edit - and 606 of course - personally I prefer the Saturday one with Ali Bruce Ball and Chris Sutton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ooh it’s a corner;9369223 said:
Have always had 5live as my go to station. Enjoy the multitalented Nicky C/Rachel B and the Tony L/Anna F drive show but Emma B is far and away the best presenter in terms of questioning - she’s brilliant! Danny B’s Saturday morning show was pure entertainment for 2 hours and has not been replaced - I don’t think it will be - a genuine football fan despite Millwall being his club! He managed to create really funny material from a series of seemingly inane topics.
I also find the regular sports updates following news bulletins really handy if you can only dip in a few times and for insomniacs some of the through the night shows can be very good too. Afraid I’m old enough to remember Peter Allen/Jane Garvey from the early days and Adrian Chiles hosting Wake Up To Money! Still a good station on the whole.

Mickey Clarke to tell me to invest in Jupiter and I would.

LEGEND!!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
As much as Nihal Arthanayake is a midget. If he says dude one more f***ing time :rant:

Tony Livesy and Anna Foster are still good, but when I used to work (10 years ago now :eek:) I used to drive a lot and listened to most of the R5 shows during the day. The quality, from the little I hear these days, does seem to have taken a dive :down:

Nihal. He's the one I hate. Mangles the English language, pitiful interviewer and has that horrible way of trying to sound profound whilst saying something blindingly obvious.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When they had the shake around and got rid of Peter Allen I thought it would never be the same, but all credit to Tony Livesey, he's kept the style of the show perfectly. But Nihal Arthanayake in the afternoons, he recently was zero on pointless and I can understand why. If he wants to drone on and on and on about grime music and all that trash then shove him on 1 extra or something. 5Live is a news, sports & entertainment show. Even Steve Wright is better, or maybe not.
As for Emma Barnett. When she first started she done a few weeks and then took months off to have a baby. Thought then how crazy to give this woman a show with her own name then she leaves. Now understand why. Brilliant interviewer and entertaining at the same time.
But a lot of this goes back to BBC political correctness. Women, yes. Minority black guy, yes. Some you win and some you lose.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised John Robins and Elis James are still slated for the Friday show.

I really enjoy the podcast but still think it has weekend morning written all over it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Emma Barnet ...well ive said my piece on the other thread,,,,no thanks and that geese in the afternoon...well he’s just plain boring

My favourite Emma Barnett game is to count up the number of times she brings up that she is Blonde but not thick. So far, I'm on 2985 times.

I can take or leave her largely dependent on subject matter but I thought her hypocrisy was breathtaking last week when she was all but encouraging people to attend a BLM protest in Central London. This was after a weeks worth of phone ins about the wrongs of Dominic Cummings. Of course its a very worthy protest but it was pretty irresponsible and almost laughable after the stay at home for the NHS message.

For the record, driving to Durham, going on a beach with loads of others or doing a Conga are also all bad ideas in a Pandemic.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Emma Barnett? I said my piece on her last night when the BLM thread momentraily became the R5L thread.

Not just me then? She has become unlistenable. She's like a hectoring school teacher with her constant rhetorical questions to the listener delivered in a superior and accusatory tone. Ever since she got the Newsnight gig she's turned into a Poundland Paxman.

Nowhere near as good as she seems to think she is. Just irritating to the point where I turn the radio off.

She reminds me the former deputy head at Uckfied Comprehensive, calling 'whole school' special assemblies to tell us how disappointed he was with us all because once again 3 pupils had been spotted taking a short cut to school through the gardens in Downs View Crescent.

I'm waiting for the not too distant day when she says, "After the news and sport, I'll be taking more of your calls, texts and emails on Are We Becoming More Patronising? which as I told you earlier, means talking down to people."

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Nicky Campbell is undoubtedly a hugely talented broadcaster but his huge ego is legendary and unfortunately comes over on the radio. He somehow always seems to make himself or his personal experiences the focal point of whatever story is being covered. Or if he can't shoehorn something about himself, then his dogs will do just as well. Not in itself a fatal problem but because he tends to co-host, it clearly comes across on the airwaves how deferential his hapless co-hosts are, lest they upset the mighty Campbell. For me, this makes awkward, uncomfortable listening as fellow presenters walk on egg shells and dare not correct or interupt him. Which is a shame as I feel Rachel Burden to actually be a better informed, more engaging and warmer presenter.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Nihal Arthanayake is a midget. If he says dude one more f***ing time :rant:

Nihal. He's the one I hate. Mangles the English language, pitiful interviewer and has that horrible way of trying to sound profound whilst saying something blindingly obvious.

Nihal Arthanayake :facepalm:

Is he a ****ing competition winner or something who's barricaded himself into a studio?

If he was on hospital radio I'd switch myself off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nihal Arthanayake :facepalm:

Is he a ****ing competition winner or something who's barricaded himself into a studio?

If he was on hospital radio I'd switch myself off.

Harsh. People from Essex have a right to a voice, too.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nicky Campbell is undoubtedly a hugely talented broadcaster but his huge ego is legendary and unfortunately comes over on the radio. He somehow always seems to make himself or his personal experiences the focal point of whatever story is being covered. Or if he can't shoehorn something about himself, then his dogs will do just as well. Not in itself a fatal problem but because he tends to co-host, it clearly comes across on the airwaves how deferential his hapless co-hosts are, lest they upset the mighty Campbell. For me, this makes awkward, uncomfortable listening as fellow presenters walk on egg shells and dare not correct or interupt him. Which is a shame as I feel Rachel Burden to actually be a better informed, more engaging and warmer presenter.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here