Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Greatest UK no1 Single

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Guardian has been spending the past six weeks counting down the greatest uk no1 single of all time. I find such rundowns are often affected by recent news (especially when voted for by the public) - bohemian rhapsody being decried the best ever shortly after Freddie's death, Wonderwall when Oasis split. This one hasn't to, my knowledge, been so affected, except perhaps by who misses out, (for example no R.Kelly for Gotham City, or y'know, 'I Believe I can Fly' or other massive hits of his)

It was quite surprising to me that their number one is 'West End Girls' by Pet Shop Boys. I mean, I like the song, but greatest ever?

Numbers 100-21 were covered in groups of ten, then the top 20 got entire articles to themselves, this is the number one article:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...st-uk-no-1s-no-1-pet-shop-boys-west-end-girls

Here is the full rundown: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/27/the-100-greatest-uk-no-1s

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Guardian has been spending the past six weeks counting down the greatest uk no1 single of all time. I find such rundowns are often affected by recent news (especially when voted for by the public) - bohemian rhapsody being decried the best ever shortly after Freddie's death, Wonderwall when Oasis split. This one hasn't to, my knowledge, been so affected, except perhaps by who misses out, (for example no R.Kelly for Gotham City, or y'know, 'I Believe I can Fly' or other massive hits of his)

It was quite surprising to me that their number one is 'West End Girls' by Pet Shop Boys. I mean, I like the song, but greatest ever?

Numbers 100-21 were covered in groups of ten, then the top 20 got entire articles to themselves, this is the number one article:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...st-uk-no-1s-no-1-pet-shop-boys-west-end-girls

Here is the full rundown: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/27/the-100-greatest-uk-no-1s

Utter garbage from The Guardian as usual.

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne

What a load of tosh...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There's probably about 75 on that list that either shouldn't be on the list, or placed far too high in the list.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone else remember when this always came top in best ever single lists.. or did I just make that up??

Now down to 57. My personal nomination is Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan. Edit Big Fail - it only made no 4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STugQ0X1NoI

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Interesting list, if somewhat odd.
Nice to see such a list without Bo Rhap at the top. Great song, but I don’t understand why the lazy sheep always vote it to No.1 every.single.time.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
All opinion of course, but in mine is that is a pile of crap.

Ghost Town I get but some of that synthetic 21st century rubbish so high?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I like that a lot.

Did I miss Hot Cocolate, Chicory Tip, Credence Clearwater Revival, Marmalade, The Sweet, The Supremes, The Hollies, Ennio Morricone, Family, The Sex Pistols.....?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If Carly Rae Jepson is number 12, then this should be number 11. Disgraceful list by The Guardian that. :rant:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Pet Shop Boys are up there with The Stylistics, Def Leppard, and Guns and Roses, as my most disliked acts.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I read The Guardian and am a big music fan, but haven't read any of this. It seems like a pointless space filling exercise. None of us choose our favourite music with reference to where it reached in a sales list. I don't dislike the Pet Shop Boys, but the song they chose as the best is not even among my own favourite Pet Shop Boys songs. The journalists who picked it are only giving their own opinions and everyone's opinions are equally valid. Their's just happen to be completely wrong and worthless and mine are right. I could make a serious case for Joe Dolce's Shuddupaya Face being more worthwhile. It certainly had a larger impact on my life.

I would also take Waterloo Sunset, Oliver's Army and Up The Junction over anything on the list, but they're all excluded because they only got to number 2. Ranking art may be fun, but trying to sum up millions of individual's different reactions to hundreds of diverse pieces of art is a bit stupid and making arbitrary entrance rules is even stupider.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Impossible list to make or agree with as it is always down to taste, but at least its a decent mix of styles and eras. A couple of ones I havent heard at all or in a while as well.

Rod Stewarts "Da Ya Think Im Sexy" btw... what a sex symbol he would have been if he wasnt the ugliest man on the planet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Greatest UK no1 Single was the one that the establishment deemed to be so anti-establishment that they fiddled the figures so it wouldn't be no1 Single - especially in the run-up to Silver Jubilee week

unnamed.jpg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I followed this DEBACLE unfolding and for what it's worth (i.e. absolutely nothing) I would have had The Platters, "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"; Louis Armstrong, "What A Wonderful World" , Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, "Tracks Of My Tears" and Charles and Eddie, "Would I lie To You?" in or around the top 10.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Hard to know where to start really. Lists like this can be interesting in that they can stimulate discussion but for me there are far too many questionable choices - just one example would be the Rod Stewart selection of Do You Think I’m Sexy - many many better RS singles - ridiculous choice - but that’s the point - everyone’s list would be very different -I can’t even guess how many of HWT’s I would even have heard of!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I read The Guardian and am a big music fan, but haven't read any of this. It seems like a pointless space filling exercise. None of us choose our favourite music with reference to where it reached in a sales list. I don't dislike the Pet Shop Boys, but the song they chose as the best is not even among my own favourite Pet Shop Boys songs. The journalists who picked it are only giving their own opinions and everyone's opinions are equally valid. Their's just happen to be completely wrong and worthless and mine are right. I could make a serious case for Joe Dolce's Shuddupaya Face being more worthwhile. It certainly had a larger impact on my life.

I would also take Waterloo Sunset, Oliver's Army and Up The Junction over anything on the list, but they're all excluded because they only got to number 2. Ranking art may be fun, but trying to sum up millions of individual's different reactions to hundreds of diverse pieces of art is a bit stupid and making arbitrary entrance rules is even stupider.

I’m not quite sure where to start with my reply, but almost totally disagreement seems a good place :smile: First, it’s a group of 3 people’s, choice. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course it will differ to your opinion, and also mine. It would be pretty weird if it didn’t. They’re not claiming it’s the definitive thread-closed list.

I agree none of use choose our favourite music by chart position or sales, but they’re not saying this is their favourite music. But if there’s one thing music lovers (especially male) like, in my opinion...it’s lists. As much as I love Xmas, it would be nothing without every single music publication and record store listing their own top albums. Again, it’s just opinions, and sometimes sales agendas, but many of us on here spend way too much time pouring over these end of year lists and debating them. I have also wasted too much time in bars challenging, and being challenged, to name numerous personal top 10s for all sorts of musical nooks and crannies.

Long live top 10s, long live lists.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like that a lot.

Did I miss Hot Cocolate, Chicory Tip, Credence Clearwater Revival, Marmalade, The Sweet, The Supremes, The Hollies, Ennio Morricone, Family, The Sex Pistols.....?

Sex Pistols...I can see what you’ve done there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here