Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Cardboard Cut Out Fan- Albion & Newcastle United Said To Be In Favour.

Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • No

Votes: 83 68.0%

• Total voters

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
Im all for this as long as the money goes to charity after production costs and its only available to people on the club database.
We don't want a load of palace in the north stand!.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If it does happen, this will need to be monitored as some may not take it seriously.

Ship.JPG

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not going to get any better than this, today, so I shall say again!

Mine will take up less room, make nearly as much noise, be more environmentally friendly & spend the same amount of money, so I can hardly complain.

#BadFan.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This, and crowd noise on TV, has already been happening in Rugby League here. Much better than expected. The fans and noise that is, the sport was still shit.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
What an enormous waste of cardboard. Sure it’s recyclable but all the energy to produce thousands of these pointless things, transport them and then to mush them down and recycle them.

Why? What’s the point really? So the stands don’t look empty on TV? I thought we were supposed to have green credentials.

Not for me.

el punal

I’m really concerned. How on earth are you going to get all the cardboard cut outs to leave in the 85th minute? What will happen if stewards find that away fan cardboard cut outs have infiltrated the home sections? And, many more potential problems.

I’m sorry, it’s a paper thin argument that the club are putting up for this proposal - wooden thinking that leaves me in tatters and not a shred of evidence that this will be beneficial. :drink:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What an enormous waste of cardboard. Sure it’s recyclable but all the energy to produce thousands of these pointless things, transport them and then to mush them down and recycle them.

Why? What’s the point really? So the stands don’t look empty on TV? I thought we were supposed to have green credentials.

Not for me.

I voted against but not for the reasons you mention. It is economic activity. There are willing buyers and sellers, so it is not any different to any other product. It will be recycled once used.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not sure anyone will know the difference so why not .

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Brighton are among the clubs seriously considering cardboard cutout fans on the upper tiers[/url]

That is just mental.

The ONLY reason for having cutouts is to make the ground ‘look’ colourful and ‘not empty’ on TV.

So are they seriously proposing to fill the upper tiers, which barely feature in TV coverage, and leave the lower tiers, which DO feature, empty?

WTAF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I voted against but not for the reasons you mention. It is economic activity. There are willing buyers and sellers, so it is not any different to any other product. It will be recycled once used.

Well then it’s economics vs environment again.

Unless the club is planning on charging fans money to put their face on the cutouts I don’t see the economic justification. These will all be machine made, probably not locally, with a few supervisors so it’s not like it’s giving lots of people jobs to go back to.

And even then, what’s the point? Do you want to pay for your face on a cutout so that you can squint at the tv all afternoon saying “that one there - is that grandad or Fatboy Slim?”

And just because something is recyclable doesn’t negate the production and transportation costs. It’s better to not make them in the first place.

That is just mental.

The ONLY reason for having cutouts is to make the ground ‘look’ colourful and ‘not empty’ on TV.

So are they seriously proposing to fill the upper tiers, which barely feature in TV coverage, and leave the lower tiers, which DO feature, empty?

WTAF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps it is the fact that they would get wetter in the lower tier. A drooping soggy cut out would not be a good look although I can think of a few posters on here I wouldn't mind seeing in a bedraggled crumpled state.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well then it’s economics vs environment again.

Unless the club is planning on charging fans money to put their face on the cutouts I don’t see the economic justification. These will all be machine made, probably not locally, with a few supervisors so it’s not like it’s giving lots of people jobs to go back to.

And even then, what’s the point? Do you want to pay for your face on a cutout so that you can squint at the tv all afternoon saying “that one there - is that grandad or Fatboy Slim?”

And just because something is recyclable doesn’t negate the production and transportation costs. It’s better to not make them in the first place.

No, I won’t be paying for it. I voted no in the poll as it doesn’t interest me. However, it is no less useful to some than many of the items bought online during lockdown by my family. An example is painting sets/materials. There has been a surge in creativity in my household. The products all arrive in cardboard. They are not ‘useful.’ They all use energy and other inputs and incur transportation costs. The counter argument is they create/sustain employment (in small, locally owned businesses) and those people also spend to create more employment. It is Keynesian economics. I’m not sure where society is going if we say we are going to get rid of ‘non useful’ economic activity because of the environment. Life is a balance.

Last edited:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
No, I won’t be paying for it. I voted no in the poll as it doesn’t interest me. However, it is no less useful to some than many of the items bought online during lockdown by my family. An example is painting sets. There has been a surge in creativity in my household. The products all arrive in cardboard. They are not ‘useful.’ They all use energy and other inputs and incur transportation costs. The counter argument is they create/sustain employment (in small, locally owned businesses) and those people also spend to create more employment. It is Keynesian economics. I’m not sure where society is going if we say we are going to get rid of ‘non useful’ economic activity because of the environment. Life is a balance.

I would argue that the painting sets have more use than a cardboard cutout fan precisely because they provide enjoyment and creativity. The cutouts are just aesthetic for the stadium, and hardly an adequate replacement for real fans.

They wouldnt necessarily sustain a lot of employment as I said, and who is to say it'd be local?

The point really is that I dont believe that the economic benefits are really great enough to justify the outlay. And if we don't reduce the waste from the economy we will never be able to protect the environment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here