Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All Lives Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
That's the problem. 'They' are required to be accepted by 'us'.

And the rest of your post is whataboutery.

'Acceptance' has a double edged meaning, Not so many years ago black players were greeted with monkey noises and bananas thrown onto the pitch. Things have moved on since then, which is the point I was trying to make.

As for 'whataboutery' I don't think it unreasonable to speak of an expereince that happened to me. I also don't think it wrong to make the point that racial biaas works in both directions, as in the example I mentioned. Otherwise any discussion simply relies upon semantics

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
'Acceptance' has a double edged meaning, Not so many years ago black players were greeted with monkey noises and bananas thrown onto the pitch. Things have moved on since then, which is the point I was trying to make.

As for 'whataboutery' I don't think it unreasonable to speak of an expereince that happened to me. I also don't think it wrong to make the point that racial biaas works in both directions, as in the example I mentioned. Otherwise any discussion simply relies upon semantics

It didn't happen to you. You heard about it.

It has nothing to do with black people being systematically killed, without redress.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your right it does work both ways.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

OK, yes, things have moved on. And it could be argued that the 'indigenous' population has the right to decide whether they do or don't 'accept' immigrants.

But we have moved a long way from back when there were no black people in the UK (which is actually long before any of us were born) or when Enoch Powell (yes, it was him) decided to invite people from the former empire into the UK to work nights in the cotton mills, and run the London buses.

Third and fourth generation descendents of immigrants have the right to not require to be accepted. It follows from that that everyone has the right to be accepted. As human beings. Without question.

I'll hold my hand up and admit to using words like acceptance myself in the past, and I always thought of myself as 'modern' and 'anti racist'. I will also admit 30 years ago to wondering idly if the value of my house might fall if a black person moved next door. Nothing personal, like, just sayin', as they used to say. Maybe that's something to be ashamed about. How ironic that my house dropped in market value from £55 K to £35 K in the space of a couple of years, thanks to Lawson's 'boom and bust'.

Anyway, if the last few days has told me anything it is that its better to challenge people. If your 'acceptance' was a metaphor for acknowledgement of change, fair enough. I wonder what a black person might think, though. I do remember when the plea was just to be 'accepted for what I am'. That was also a heartfelt plea from some gay people (back when their 'acceptance' meant 'I don't mind what you do in private but just stay away from my kids').

As for racial biases working in both directions, sure, but in the context of this thread it is whataboutery. In the wider context it is a fair point. That said, I'm 62 and have never been treated disfavourably on account of my race (to the point where I can remember it, and certainly not to the point that it defined me), so it may work in both directions, but that is irrelevant when one has the upper hand. As I do. Being racially discriminated against does define some people though. As some of us are learning to understand, only now.

All the best, old fellah (I remember your post early in the covid era, and your line of work). Stay safe.

If you want a better understanding of racism in the States and the way the penal system is heavily biased against the black population check out 13th on Netflix ..... the US has 2.2 million people incarcerated which is around 25% of the whole total across the planet ...... simply staggering what goes on in the land of the free and much of it in the name of business and politics.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In a brilliant and extensive interview on R5 this lunchtime with Shaka Hislop, who’s been fighting racism for 20 years, he said exactly that .... there’s infinitely far less racism in football than there was in the 80’s and 90’s when the likes of John Barnes were disgraceful targeted by low life's.

He was on to talk about George Floyd, racism in society in general just now in the US and beyond.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ultimately no human lives matter and the quicker we die out and let the natural world restore some balance, the better for planet earth.

*disclaimer: I don’t wish to see people murdered, whatever their skin tone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK, yes, things have moved on. And it could be argued that the 'indigenous' population has the right to decide whether they do or don't 'accept' immigrants.

But we have moved a long way from back when there were no black people in the UK (which is actually long before any of us were born) or when Enoch Powell (yes, it was him) decided to invite people from the former empire into the UK to work nights in the cotton mills, and run the London buses.

Third and fourth generation descendents of immigrants have the right to not require to be accepted. It follows from that that everyone has the right to be accepted. As human beings. Without question.

I'll hold my hand up and admit to using words like acceptance myself in the past, and I always thought of myself as 'modern' and 'anti racist'. I will also admit 30 years ago to wondering idly if the value of my house might fall if a black person moved next door. Nothing personal, like, just sayin', as they used to say. Maybe that's something to be ashamed about. How ironic that my house dropped in market value from £55 K to £35 K in the space of a couple of years, thanks to Lawson's 'boom and bust'.

Anyway, if the last few days has told me anything it is that its better to challenge people. If your 'acceptance' was a metaphor for acknowledgement of change, fair enough. I wonder what a black person might think, though. I do remember when the plea was just to be 'accepted for what I am'. That was also a heartfelt plea from some gay people (back when their 'acceptance' meant 'I don't mind what you do in private but just stay away from my kids').

As for racial biases working in both directions, sure, but in the context of this thread it is whataboutery. In the wider context it is a fair point. That said, I'm 62 and have never been treated disfavourably on account of my race (to the point where I can remember it, and certainly not to the point that it defined me), so it may work in both directions, but that is irrelevant when one has the upper hand. As I do. Being racially discriminated against does define some people though. As some of us are learning to understand, only now.

All the best, old fellah (I remember your post early in the covid era, and your line of work). Stay safe.

One minute of Jane Elliott was enough to knock me out of my stride.

There I am all happy in my non racist world, working with multiple races, religions, ethnicity.
Semi-regularly helping my children to understand the history and toxicity of racism, through films and now the news.
Always mindful that here in Best Sussex we're somewhat sheltered.

Then up pops Jane and blows a hole in yoghurt knitting Stat World

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
One minute of Jane Elliott was enough to knock me out of my stride.

There I am all happy in my non racist world, working with multiple races, religions, ethnicity.
Semi-regularly helping my children to understand the history and toxicity of racism, through films and now the news.
Always mindful that here in Best Sussex we're somewhat sheltered.

Then up pops Jane and blows a hole in yoghurt knitting Stat World

They didn't understand the question. :ffsparr:

Yogurt knitter. :lolol:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Mercy killings/ Euthanasia/ assisted suicide, are they common sense for you ???
Regards
DF

What the **** has that got to do with this discussion you thick racist ****? Get back to your anti-semitic Youtube channels Das reich, you'll fit in in the comments section much better than you do here.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Ultimately no human lives matter and the quicker we die out and let the natural world restore some balance, the better for planet earth.

Clearly not true, firstly God invented us and didnt put us here to die out,
Secondly we dont need to die out to restore balance between human existence and the natural world. Thats just crazy talk. If we die out the balance for humans is non existent....there is no balance.
There needs to be less people, Earth can sustain us and our mistakes and vices with less people. Oddly enough the major cause of Human induced climate change is humans...who knew

Too many people......but no one wants to address this elephant in the room

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Clearly not true, firstly God invented us and didnt put us here to die out,
Secondly we dont need to die out to restore balance between human existence and the natural world. Thats just crazy talk. If we die out the balance for humans is non existent....there is no balance.
There needs to be less people, Earth can sustain us and our mistakes and vices with less people. Oddly enough the major cause of Human induced climate change is humans...who knew

Too many people......but no one wants to address this elephant in the room

It's not really the elephant in the room is it, we have been projecting population growth for many years. The issue is how to tackle it short of forging a gauntlet and collecting all 6 infinity stones.

Most developed economies have negative birth rates, the UK is 1.79, so our population will shrink over time. Similar countries like Spain and Italy are at 1.3.

In Australia, despite the known issue with population growth, they still have the Baby Bonus where they pay you for the birth of an eligible child - such is their issue with their working age population supporting the economy and the ageing population. Australia's birthrate is lower than ours at 1.76 births per women.

The issue then is the countries like many in the African continent who have a birth rate well above 2. It is undoubtedly linked to the education and state health support provided.

Different population models predict different things, but if the developing world is supported and healthcare can provide education and contraception support, then world population could be shrinking from around 2050.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's not really the elephant in the room is it, we have been projecting population growth for many years. The issue is how to tackle it short of forging a gauntlet and collecting all 6 infinity stones.

Most developed economies have negative birth rates, the UK is 1.79, so our population will shrink over time. Similar countries like Spain and Italy are at 1.3.

In Australia, despite the known issue with population growth, they still have the Baby Bonus where they pay you for the birth of an eligible child - such is their issue with their working age population supporting the economy and the ageing population. Australia's birthrate is lower than ours at 1.76 births per women.

The issue then is the countries like many in the African continent who have a birth rate well above 2. It is undoubtedly linked to the education and state health support provided.

Different population models predict different things, but if the developing world is supported and healthcare can provide education and contraception support, then world population could be shrinking from around 2050.

There are Too Many People

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here