Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] American police

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This years killings by law enforcement looks like the numbers are dropping..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_States

If you consider America as a "1st world country" & compare it with other "1st world countries" that's a pretty shocking figure....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_by_country

I just glanced at the figures and if they are accurate. The US has more than Syria. And Syria has been at War for 10 years

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They have to be with an estimated 393,347,000 firearms in circulation.

There is an argument there. Although having seen the way they deal with relatively minor offences I'm rather glad to be living here. A British bobby can often be put in their place because ultimately they are not the law. Many US cops seem to have an elevated view of their status.

British police has stages of resort. In the US they will only tolerate objection as long as they feel inclined to.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just seen that video on the news of them shoving that old bloke over and, while he appears to be unconscious on the ground, one of the rozzers has to be held back by his mate from steaming in with more violence.

Completely disgraceful.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Just seen that video on the news of them shoving that old bloke over and, while he appears to be unconscious on the ground, one of the rozzers has to be held back by his mate from steaming in with more violence.

Completely disgraceful.

To me it looks like he's going in to help, but is then held back - it may be that they had instructions not to engage, towards the end of the video someone can be heard saying "EMT is on the scene" or similar.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Seem to be much more heavy handed...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I was pulled over in Colorado, and the officer told me that my license plate had expired. I sad that it was a hire car and that I knew nothing about it. He asked to see my driver's license and id; it was in the boot, so I went to open the door and he went for his gun, shouting at me not to open the door. I was shocked - he then asked me what I was doing. I said that the license and id were in the boot (trunk) and he told me to open the door slowly and get out slowly.

When I got to the office I told my colleagues about it and said I was shocked, but they explained to me that there is a chance that someone he pulls over could throw open the door and fire at him; hence his reaction. I guess it is understandable in that light. It is a very tough job to keep law and oder in a violent and armed country.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
What surprises me more is that they know everyone has a camera these days yet they're still stupid enough to use excessive force.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
What surprises me more is that they know everyone has a camera these days yet they're still stupid enough to use excessive force.

They've never been held accountable before, so why would they care? In Charlotte there is a video doing the rounds showing hoards of cops instructing a peaceful protest to disperse, then blocking every exit they can take to disperse, before guiding them all into a bottleneck, tear gassing them and then shooting them all with rubber bullets. It was intentional, and a ****ing disgrace and ALL caught on video. I suspect there will be no consequences to those 100 odd officers. That is why they don't care about cameras.

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I have had dealings with the police in and around the Minneapolis/St Paul area and have always found them okay. Having said that there are always bad apples and sometimes they overact, sometimes due to the gun threat already mentioned and at other times for no reason, but in this case the police were out of order.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Completely disgraceful.

The initial statement from the police department was that a protestor had tripped and fell.

A couple of hours later the mayor said the two police officers involved had been suspended without pay. Quite fortunate it was on video, and leaves you wondering what they get away with when there are no cameras.

You also have to wonder why there wasn't more made of the other officers ignoring it, and whoever authored the statement facing repercussions.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
To say I find this picture horrendous is an understatement

Attachments

• 101597307_10106971933750761_4052574850940665856_o.jpg
    101597307_10106971933750761_4052574850940665856_o.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 240

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I was pulled over in Colorado, and the officer told me that my license plate had expired. I sad that it was a hire car and that I knew nothing about it. He asked to see my driver's license and id; it was in the boot, so I went to open the door and he went for his gun, shouting at me not to open the door. I was shocked - he then asked me what I was doing. I said that the license and id were in the boot (trunk) and he told me to open the door slowly and get out slowly.

When I got to the office I told my colleagues about it and said I was shocked, but they explained to me that there is a chance that someone he pulls over could throw open the door and fire at him; hence his reaction. I guess it is understandable in that light. It is a very tough job to keep law and oder in a violent and armed country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Z02DelCmk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think I've put this on NSC before but worth repeating here as I still think its totally shocking.

When I was living in New York, a story came up on the news about a toddler playing with a plastic gun in a park in Pittsburgh. The police shot him dead because they thought the gun was real. It was reported in such a matter of fact way, as if it was the norm.

The country is so utterly myopic when it comes to guns its unreal. And that rubs off on the police. It would never happen in the UK, but can you imagine the response if it did?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here