Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] American police

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
End the white dominance of the police force. Would never happen under Trump, but the ethnic makeup of any force should 100% reflect the area they serve. The ‘whiteness’ of the Met police in 2020 is still shockingly unreflective of London’s population.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
From what I’ve read across the media and seen, American police are a lot more heavy handed than our police . This is maybe because they have to deal with a lot more drugged up violent people and gangs with guns than we have in this country .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
End the white dominance of the police force. Would never happen under Trump, but the ethnic makeup of any force should 100% reflect the area they serve. The ‘whiteness’ of the Met police in 2020 is still shockingly unreflective of London’s population.

I understand the police have tried to recruit specifically a lot more black policeman but are finding it hard to attract these candidates. I don’t believe police have to replicate the area they are policing but I do believe they have to be seen as fair and trusted .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but the ethnic makeup of any force should 100% reflect the area they serve.

Saw this thread from James Mangold (Director; Cop Land, Girl Interrupted, 3:10 to Yuma, The Wolverine, Logan, Walk the Line, Identity)

https://twitter.com/mang0ld/status/1267158334370504710

1/ Thinking about making COP LAND (25 yrs ago). My script, about a cult-like suburban town of commuting white cops was premised on the idea that many NYPD didn't live in the 5 boroughs anymore, a conceit the Weinsteins (my studio, close w/ NYPD brass) insisted was impossible.
2/ They said it was impossible because of a residency requirement insisting NYPD live in the place they protected. Of course, I knew cops got around this cause I grew up in a suburban white town of almost all city first responders.
3/ Many NYPD maintained addresses in the city (apartments, mom's place, etc) where they got department mail & paychecks & they had "summer homes" in the burbs where they actually lived. Miramax had me do an opening narration by DeNiro's character to explain my movie differently.
4/ I went along cause it was my 1st big movie & the change didn't really diminish a larger core message of urban police forces turned into organized crime. But now it makes me think about why they wanted me to avoid shining a light on this issue.
5/ When cops don't live in a place they protect, they're not protecting their community. The people in the city r devalued. Indeed, many commuting cops worry most about "containing problems" in the city so they don't "leak" to the burbs where they live. This produces sickness.
6/ It's not easy being a good cop. God knows we need good cops. So it's easy to talk someone into abandoning / de-emphasizing residency rules. "Why shouldn't a good cop be able to live where he wants?" goes the argument. Well, because commuting cops bring a different attitude.
7/ Commuting cops are 9-5 soldiers in a land that is not their own. They do not have vested interest in embracing the place they patrol, rather, their interest in in "containing" it. This produces quiet pernicious and systemic racism.
8/ The key opposition to laws like this r Police Unions & more so, associations. Many give $ to these fraternities to get a sticker & and implicit favor. We tend to get confused when our values involves crossing a "union". But these r just lobbying organizations like any other.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Are Democrat governed states any better than Republican in Policing in as much that is coming from The White House itself ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Seem to be much more heavy handed...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Read an article earlier that said there are over 18,000 police forces in the US and the officer training is very poor. Basically American Police police by force and decree while UK police ( for all their faults ) police by consent - as witnessed by the protest in Brighton yesterday. The Americans might as well give a ten year old a gun and baton and you'd see little difference between them and their 'adult' counter parts.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Would anyone want to be a policeman in the states? Whilst in no way condoning trigger happy thuggery it must be pretty scary knowing that in any situation someone might pull a gun on you. You then have to make the correct decision in a matter of seconds.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I understand the police have tried to recruit specifically a lot more black policeman but are finding it hard to attract these candidates. I don’t believe police have to replicate the area they are policing but I do believe they have to be seen as fair and trusted .

This.
A few years ago, 4 or 5 English black lads used to come into my cafe on a weekly basis, for an afternoon meal,
They were never any trouble, and polite, nice kids. On one afternoon they were sitting , eating talking, having a laugh when a van full of coppers, about 6 of them, turned up and started hassling the kids, telling them to turn out their pockets, stand up, asking for proof of ID etc. The way they spoke to the lads was atrocious, very confrontational, and, I thought at the time, trying to provoke a reaction. I asked the Sergeant copper what were they after, he mentioned drugs, and the proceeds of crime( his words) . I asked if he thought it was right the way his subordinates were speaking to members of the public, he told me to mind my own business. After 20 minutes or so, OB left and one of the lads came to pay their bill, he apologised for the hassle, said it happened on a fairly regular basis. I said to him that I would put in a complaint about the treatment they had received, he said don’t bother, you won’t stop it , and the law would just end up hassling me.
If a Copper had spoken to me in the way they spoke to those kids, I would certainly have been reporting it to the Polices complaint system.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I cant remember who said it, I think Jon B, the R&B singer, and he said something along the lines of 'Its Monday, if every African American registered a gun tomorrow, there would be very harsh gun legislation by Friday'

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Back in the 80s, I discovered that I was a 'known person' basically because of our soundsystem. The amount of times I was stopped because 'I resembled somebody they were looking for' became quite tedious. One night I was walking up Cambridge Road to go to our sound managers place in Dyke Road when a police car stopped and 3 officers approached me and asked where I was going and why? (as I resembled blah blah blah) Told them that even though its none of their ****ing business, I was going to friends house in Dyke Road, even gave them the number . After a quite lengthy time being held they let me go. Two hours later, on Western Road, I was stopped by the same ****ing police who asked me where I was going and why.
My sarcasm filter broke, as apparently 'I resembled somebody they were looking for' Let them know how stupid they were, and the person I resembled had a good chance of never being found as they were ****wits, if they couldn't remember me from two hours previously.
Another thing, I have NEVER been in a car with white people, and stopped for no apparent reason. Whilst living with a black family for 20 odd years, I lost count how many times we were stopped.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
I think I've put this on NSC before but worth repeating here as I still think its totally shocking.

When I was living in New York, a story came up on the news about a toddler playing with a plastic gun in a park in Pittsburgh. The police shot him dead because they thought the gun was real. It was reported in such a matter of fact way, as if it was the norm.

The country is so utterly myopic when it comes to guns its unreal. And that rubs off on the police. It would never happen in the UK, but can you imagine the response if it did?

Tamir Rice is similar to the incident you mention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Tamir_Rice

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Saw the footage of the police pushing the 75yr old. He didn't look good. Reminded me of the one in London where the guy died a few weeks later

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yeah, fair enough, that totally negates the cop pointing a weapon at a mans face who has a child on his shoulders.

He’s got you there mate.

The guy was asking for it. There’s peaceful protest and there’s threatening a Police officers life. What if the kid had a bomb in it?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I cant remember who said it, I think Jon B, the R&B singer, and he said something along the lines of 'Its Monday, if every African American registered a gun tomorrow, there would be very harsh gun legislation by Friday'

Sadly America is hurtling towards some major confrontation amongst its population. Still living in the 1800s I'm afraid

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Why are you not allowed to take your kid to a protest march?

A peaceful march no problem. One that's likely to descend into violent protest and you normally have a good idea before attending leave little ones out of harm's way. Can't believe there where that many at the poll tax marches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here