Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bass player from The Sweet.

"We just haven't got a clue what to do..."

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 08.55.31.png

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
My dad used to come in and see me watching them on TOTP and mutter shake his head wander away, brilliant RIP

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
They might be the first band I ever saw live, can’t remember if it was Sweet or Slade.

Very different band live, than the ‘Wigwam Bam’ ‘Little Willy Willy’ chart music band.

Excellent live.

RIP Steve.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I adored Sweet when I was a young girl. Ticked all the boxes for someone my age then, but even now I look back and think they were bloody brilliant, and not just because I fancied the lead singer. Easy to dismiss by music connoisseurs, but they were definitely the best of their type (in my humble opinion).

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
For all my tastes in alternative music I absolutely loved Sweet.

Excellent songs well produced by Chinnichap, charismatic stage presence and a great flamboyant front man.

And Andy Scott was way ahead of his time.....

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I adored Sweet when I was a young girl. Ticked all the boxes for someone my age then, but even now I look back and think they were bloody brilliant, and not just because I fancied the lead singer. Easy to dismiss by music connoisseurs, but they were definitely the best of their type (in my humble opinion).

Brian Connolly was the lead singer

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sweet - best known for cheesy but catchy glam-pop - but like several bands of that ilk (Slade and Mud for example) they could actually play and were, when not earning a living playing cheesy pop, pretty good bands.
Anyway, RIP Steve.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sweet - best known for cheesy but catchy glam-pop - but like several bands of that ilk (Slade and Mud for example) they could actually play and were, when not earning a living playing cheesy pop, pretty good bands.
Anyway, RIP Steve.

Well after their heyday and back when I was in the RAF we booked MUD for a gig in the NAAFI. Was a bloody brilliant cheese-tastic night. Would have been '82 or '83.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
RIP Steve - never saw the original band but I saw the other (Andy Scott) version of Sweet last year at a festival - excellent musicianship.
Good memories of the early 70s and some classic tracks.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Always preferred Slade over Sweet but still today if a Sweet song comes on the radio, I immediately recognise it as Sweet and know the song, they were that big in the 70s.

RIP

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Saw a lot of bands in the 70's but Sweet at The Dome 1973 remains one of my favourite gigs. There were a lot of mums & dads with their kids present as I expect they thought Sweet were an inoffensive Glam Rock poptastic kind of band, WRONG! The show opened with 'The stripper' blasting out over the P.A. with a back projection on stage of some bird taking all her kit off. When she got down to nothing Sweet ran on stage, Mick Tucker did an almighty 'Gob' across his drums and they burst into Hellraiser with the amps turned up to 11. They played all their hits but a lot of heavier stuff which they used to put on the 'B' sides of the singles. One of the loudest and funniest bands I ever saw, RIP Steve and thankyou.

I think this was recorded on the same tour that we saw them, the sounds a bit shaky at the start but it was 47 years ago!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Brilliant band, massive part of my youth along with so many other fantastic bands of that time.

RIP Steve

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here