Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] BBC Radio 6 Music

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
This is from 2019 - but 6 Music in a year plays 18,000 different tracks. A typical commercial station might play around 2000 tracks.
https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/7987/pdf/

One gripe is that if they want to promote a particular song they do it to the point of overkill, especially Steve ‘Fontaines DC’ Lamacq with his pet bands. Nadine Shah’s Ladies for Babies (And Goats for Love) playing several times daily always had me ‘reaching for that dial’

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Cure -Disintegration in full at the mo. Oh yes

Whose show is this on, i would like to find it on catch up. Are they literally playing the album or talking about it too, should i just stick the album on?:lolol::lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Whose show is this on, i would like to find it on catch up. Are they literally playing the album or talking about it too, should i just stick the album on?:lolol::lolol:

Steve Lamacq this afternoon/evening. Had a bit of a chat beforehand about it( I only caught the end) and then just played it in full

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is from 2019 - but 6 Music in a year plays 18,000 different tracks. A typical commercial station might play around 2000 tracks.
https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/7987/pdf/

One of the beauties of R6 is its wall to wall music, barely a minute wasted per hour on tedious news/sports news.

All commercial stations (naturally) and many BBC stations such as R5 spend so much time on plugging their other events, roads news and general bollocks, then after 10 lost minutes getting on with the meat of their show.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

I caught some of it, interview with one of the band about how fractured they were, how RS would only communicate via passed notes and at one point said he’d release Disintegration as a solo project. Made me think I should read a biography of the band as am largely ignorant of any internal strife and behind the scenes machinations of The Cure. If anyone can recommend one...

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I caught some of it, interview with one of the band about how fractured they were, how RS would only communicate via passed notes and at one point said he’d release Disintegration as a solo project. Made me think I should read a biography of the band as am largely ignorant of any internal strife and behind the scenes machinations of The Cure. If anyone can recommend one...

Cured by Lol Tolhurst

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Cured by Lol Tolhurst

Cured by Lol is excellent.

There have been rumours flying around the Simon Gallup has left the band recently. I'm not sure where these have ended up but he has sent a few tweets recently.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Just check out the number of line-up changes over the years. There is only one constant in there.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Cured by Lol is excellent.

There have been rumours flying around the Simon Gallup has left the band recently. I'm not sure where these have ended up but he has sent a few tweets recently.

Read that in Vive Le Rock this morning. No surprise really. He went home during their last tour 2019 and his son played bass.

Robert Smith has also said in an interview that he doubts The Cure will ever do anything again after latest album.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I do get annoyed when they put rubbish songs from yesterday’s stars on the playlist. Franz Ferdinand’ s new one sounds like a Chas and Dave song covered by Status Quo

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I do get annoyed when they put rubbish songs from yesterday’s stars on the playlist. Franz Ferdinand’ s new one sounds like a Chas and Dave song covered by Status Quo

I've not heard it, but that is hardly fair on Status Quo or Chas n Dave.

MAH can do one, who the hell wants jungle techno bollocks in the morning. . . . although the new Warmduscher track is ace.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I couldn't say enough good things about the first two Franz Ferdinand albums, but whoa have they wallowed in some manure ever since and seem to be going ever deeper.

I find the best way to enjoy 6 music is to dip in and out. Switch it off if it starts to get annoying. It isn't always them sometimes it is me. I really enjoyed Back in Black on Lamacq's classic albums last week, plus a chat yesterday between Craig Charles and Guy Garvey (Elbow recorded their new album in the Theatre Royal Brighton). I wouldn't have gone to any effort to seek out either of these things.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Craig Charles was playing Fugazi earlier. A very, very rare sound on BBC radio. Brilliant stuff.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

That sounds much better than any previous Franz Ferdinand song. But yes, while most of what it plays is brilliant and or interesting, I'm currently not enjoying hearing the new Elbow, TV on the radio and Alt J songs so much

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
10-12 on Soho Radio this morning is an interview with Johnny Turnbull from the Blockheads, he's worked with most people over the years, played everywhere . . . going right back to his first band 'Skip Bifferty' in '67. ( very good UK psych album and single)

https://sohoradiolondon.com/schedule/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Heard the Cramps again this morning, they have just interviewed a a girl and boy, from a band from Brighton who described their music as Surf Punk, I did not hear it all as the phone was going here at work, anyone know who they are ?

Found them, Penelope Isles, I would not personally describe them as surf punk, but who cares they are alright, bit too emo for me...

https://youtu.be/hHoS4Xz0L4M

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Having an 80s day today.

02eac228825565404e1501138158cc85.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here