Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] BBC Radio 6 Music

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Is anyone else really hacked off that Liz Kershaw has been replaced by some abysmal hip hop rubbish on Saturday lunchtime?

That was a staple of my day....

Here's a selection of the "abysmal hip hop rubbish" from last Saturday :moo:

Screenshot 2021-04-10 12.33.52 PM.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not 6 music but couldn’t think of anywhere better to put it

[tweet]1380489633797177350[/tweet]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Liz has moved to Sunday to do "legendary" interviews. She seemed to be cutting back anyway. At times she wasn't on in the first lockdown and I think her show was down to one hour at one point as well.

Normally she was the one person on a Saturday I didn't bother with. Lovely lady and all that but she just played records I'd already bought 30 or 40 years ago.

Personally enjoyed the Jamz Supernova show last week as well. I like how Saturdays have a focus on quite dancy, quite black music but with Hughie chucking in a nice bit of rock now and again and plenty of indie on RadMac, with Sundays being a lot more chilled :shrug:

Gilles Peterson is my star on Saturday but, unfortunately, the football means that I rarely listen to it. Huey's very good, and very New York. And Craig Charles does what others on R6 so rarely do, and does it really well. I know he's not on a Saturday, but I'm a big fan of Marc Riley.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gilles Peterson is my star on Saturday but, unfortunately, the football means that I rarely listen to it. Huey's very good, and very New York. And Craig Charles does what others on R6 so rarely do, and does it really well. I know he's not on a Saturday, but I'm a big fan of Marc Riley.

GP for me too :thumbsup:

I expect you already know, but shows all go up on the BBC Sounds app. I often catch up on there.

There's Worldwide FM too of course. Although I confess I rarely listen there, as I just forget.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I’m afraid Liz Kershaw’s show was becoming more and more like listening to Radio 2 in 1982 -hiya, here’s another golden oldie, email saying great show, namedrop, namedrop etc. Well overdue a change and much as I love R6 (especially Gideon Coe and Marc Riley) it has got a bit stale in places - Do we still need Steve Lemcq’s National Anthem etc? Each to their own though obviously.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’ve recently discovered 6 music and have been blown away by. Discovered loads new stuff and have been buying more music than I’ve done in a long time. It’s brilliant I have to say. The quality of alternative music that’s being produced is incredible today. It’s almost been secretly stashed. Just goes to show how worse off we are for all going around with earphones on, not sharing music like we did, plus the combined media only allowing us to hear a handful of songs backed by powerful marketing money men. Big shout out for Katy J Pearson who I discovered via this show, such a great young talent. Check out Tonight on YouTube.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It annoys me too.. Also Sunday afternoon they put Loyle Carner, talentless oik that he is, on at 2pm for two hours. It's hip hop garbage.....What has happened to Guy Garvey? His weekly show was great and really tuned into Sunday afternoon.

TNBA

TTF

If you're going to write off an entire genre, 6 is probably not the station for you. As with Jamz Supernova, the majority of what Loyle Carner plays isn't hip hop anyway.

Here's a snapshot of last weeks show:

Screenshot 2021-04-10 3.47.32 PM.png

Looking at the full playlist, the only hip hop artist I see is Madlib. The track, Road of the Lonely Ones, is the kind of thing that has a great deal of crossover appeal I'd imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y52M28WQu2s

I'm sure other times he's played a bit more hip hop, as do many of the DJs. The eclecticism is what people love about the station, isn't it? That's the case for me anyway.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Jamz Supernova (on now) does my head in. I don't know which grates more for me, the stupid name or the dropped T’s. That said, she plays some good stuff. Amy Lame on a Sunday still a highlight for me.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It annoys me too.. Also Sunday afternoon they put Loyle Carner, talentless oik that he is, on at 2pm for two hours. It's hip hop garbage.....What has happened to Guy Garvey? His weekly show was great and really tuned into Sunday afternoon.

TNBA

TTF

I'm not sure if you're serious or not. Guy Garvey to me is aural smugness and the only 6 music show I will rush to switch over from. Carners shows always seem good

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did you know he’s in Elbow - he always seems loathe to mention it ???

:lolol:

Coming back from a long weekend watching us up North and my mate who was driving has his radio permanently tuned to 6 Music. This was more than fine with the rest of us but it did spark a conversation about the station's DJs and this was immediately mentioned by another one of my mates. I'd not paid much attention to it before but every time I've heard him since he's done the "Guy Garvey from Elbow" thing. Always makes me giggle. I like Elbow's music so I don't mind the tunes he plays but it is very much "me and my gang of mates". Whereas Hughie, for example, takes you on a guided tour as his guest.

On the same trip back the same bloke also had a long, hilarious and extremely profane rant about Amy Lame. I can't repeat it on here but one of the words he used was recently used on the North Stand Polls thread.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Can’t beat a bit of debate [emoji16]

There are some shows I love on 6 Music and others I just can’t listen to at all.

Some on here clearly love Gilles Petersen. I just find most of it unlistenable.

And I love Shaun Keaveny and Steve Lamacq.

So there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
^ Giles Petersen’s stuff isn't for me, but I respect his standing in the industry.

The shelf life of Keaveny’s ‘Alan Partridge’ act must surely be up by now. :)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Loves:

- Giles Peterson
- Huey
- Tom Ravenscroft
- Shaun Keaveny
- Lauren Laverne
- Craig Charles

Not so keen on:

- Steve Lamaq
- Marc Riley
- Mary Anne Hobbs (her voice grates so much!)
- Radcliffe and Marconie
- Tom Robinson
- Liz Kershaw

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I listened to quite a bit of Gideon Coe yesterday who was sitting in for Craig Charles.

By kicking off with a Yabby U and The Prophets tune, he'd already drawn me in as roots reggae is where I'm most at home. But the more I listened, the more I liked his selections, especially as he was introducing me to stuff I'd never usually listen to at all.

It wasn't long before it dawned on me what he was up to. This was like John Peel all over again it seemed. And no one in their right mind can dislike that, surely!?

So if this is Gideon Coe's usual style. It's a big thumbsup from me.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Not so keen on:
- Mary Anne Hobbs (her voice grates so much!)

Really? - I listen to her partly because I enjoy her voice and laugh (along with the music). I listen to Lauren and her most mornings, then turn it off when Keaveny comes on. Can't stand him!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here