Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] BBC Radio 6 Music

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Pre-Lockdown I’d always thought of Craig Charles as being more Radio 2 than 6, and I was never a big fan, but he really made that tea time slot his own over the last month or so, and I have to say that having Steve Lamacq back now is almost disappointing; lovely guy, but somewhat bland by comparison.

Beyond god-like Lauren Laverne in the mornings, Amy Lame rolling into Tom Robinson on Sundays is definitely a highlight, and equally when Katie Puckrik is filling in, but it’s all good.

As you were. :wink:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's just an incredible radio station. I've found it's come into it's own through this period. To think the BBC tried to ditch it a few years back.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Listen all day, every day while working or in the car (unless the cricket is on). Have done for years.

Radmac, Lauren, Mary Anne, Hughie and Craig are all superb.

Have discovered so much music through the station. Worth the licence fee on its own.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Craig Charles Funk and Soul show is great on Saturday evening

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Love Lauren.

I liked Craig when he did the weekend shows, but wasn’t so keen on the ‘every night of the week’ run, mainly because he plays a lot of vintage stuff.

For me, that’s fine once in a while, but on balance I want 6 Music to introduce me to new current artists and music more than mine the past. And Craig’s more the latter than the former, unlike some of the other presenters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is briliant. Saturdays are my favourite, Hughie in to Giles in to Craig. Superb. Most shows are great though I tend not to bother with Amy Lame or Liz Kershaw :lol:

Each to their own though. If there's programme you don't enjoy so much another one will be along in a minute that you do. Then there are the replays on the BBC Sounds app which are really useful when something clashes with a show on 1BTN

Love it. Big fan of the late night music Nemones Electric Ladyland is a good show.

But I can listen all day, however I wasn't before this pandemic as I thought it became too rocky but it's suddenly got great again. Big fan and peoples playlists and desert island discs never fails to please the ears.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I will happily listen to everyone on the station apart from the bloke from Elbow who seems too smug to me. Lamacq does appear to do the same show he did in the 90s on Radio 1

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Hobbsy, whilst her voice is a touch irritating, seems to have a similar taste to mine and has plugged some wonderful new stuff.

Cerys has a tidy accent, and her world music with poetry on a Sunday is rather pleasant.

Gideon Coe read an email from me last year with a laugh, so he's in the good books too.

The 10+ episodes displaying Cillian Murphy's wide, knowledgeable and brilliant taste in music was sublime.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I will happily listen to everyone on the station apart from the bloke from Elbow who seems too smug to me. Lamacq does appear to do the same show he did in the 90s on Radio 1

Kind of agree about Guy Garvey, he does load his show with friends, family and music buddy anecdotes etc.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It is the best Radio station by far. Even the stuff I'm not a mad fan of is good. R&M Hughie, Cerys. Freakzone. I have just made the long overdue DAB upgrade to the car . . .

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Kind of agree about Guy Garvey, he does load his show with friends, family and music buddy anecdotes etc.

Cannot stand his show. He mentions Elbow in pretty much every link he does.

Also cannot listen to Mary Ann Hobbes. That dreary, reverential voice. That false giggle. The music may be OK but the bits in between drive me to distraction.

Find myself liking Craig Charles quite a lot but I agree his music comes from a very narrow play list.

Lamacq may be a lovely bloke but it's like listening to student radio from 1986. Again I give him a swerve.

I say hooray for Lauren, Cerys, Marc Riley, Gideon Coe, Gilles Peterson and RadMac.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Cannot stand his show. He mentions Elbow in pretty much every link he does.

Also cannot listen to Mary Ann Hobbes. That dreary, reverential voice. That false giggle. The music may be OK but the bits in between drive me to distraction.

Find myself liking Craig Charles quite a lot but I agree his music comes from a very narrow play list.

Lamacq may be a lovely bloke but it's like listening to student radio from 1986. Again I give him a swerve.

I say hooray for Lauren, Cerys, Marc Riley, Gideon Coe, Gilles Peterson and RadMac.

:D agree with pretty much all of that, especially Mary Ann Hobbs’ voice. Huw (“Hew”) Stephens voice also gets me.

I like Jarvis Cocker, but smile to myself when he’s got a new track out because it gets played...quite a lot.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No mention of Keavney ? Enjoy his ‘humour’

I have tended to have 6Music on for a while now during the day, but can’t stand Lauren Laverne. Agree re Steve Lamaq too, had got used to Craig Charles

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Love 6Music especially Marc Riley and Gideon Coe shows In the evening. Mrs Simgull even won Who’s on my t-shirt? on Riley’s show a few months ago (The Go Betweens).
Agree though with points above re Guy ‘did I mention I’m in Elbow?’ Garvey. Also there seems to be a fair bit of mutual promotion whenever Elbow/Iggy/Jarvis have something new out. Only other gripe is a few months ago they suddenly started playing ‘prog’ all over the place - someone’s idea to expand the audience no doubt.

If you like 6Music, you might enjoy Henry Rollins’ show on KCRW (easiest to download the App and listen at leisure) - plays some great music and is clearly still a real fanatic. He did a couple of quarantine lockdown specials which are a great listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here