Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5 subs instead of 3 - will this change tactics?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So they have announced that they are increasing the number of subs from 3 to 5 with the maximum allowed on the bench increased from 7 to 9.

Firstly, I'm not sure how you can make a change like this mid season without some clubs claiming it is unfair. Surely you need the same rules throughout a season? This will surely suit the teams that went for stronger squads rather than those that went for a strong 18?

But that aside, could this change tactics?

Quite a lot of our "flair" players seem to be good in stints but don't last. With the ability to make two additional subs from normal could we see 3 x 30 min appearances in one position. With the sub getting subbed?

Or will it see the possibility of five coming on all at once, a bit like the crappy, low attended friendlies we all suffer during the summer. Oh I may have stumbled on what it may be like...

Worse still Burnley 1-0 up with ten minutes to go, will use all their 5 individually to run down the clock. That could be bloody painful to watch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Worse still Burnley 1-0 up with ten minutes to go, will use all their 5 individually to run down the clock. That could be bloody painful to watch.

Will they still be allowed to do that? When FIFA introduced the change their stance was that while 5 substitutions can be made, teams were only allowed to make changes three times (i.e. there would have to be a couple of double substitutions, or a triple substitution if you want to make all 5 changes).

But we've seen with VAR that the premier can have their own variation on the laws.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So they have announced that they are increasing the number of subs from 3 to 5 with the maximum allowed on the bench increased from 7 to 9.

Firstly, I'm not sure how you can make a change like this mid season without some clubs claiming it is unfair. Surely you need the same rules throughout a season? This will surely suit the teams that went for stronger squads rather than those that went for a strong 18?

Quite a lot of our "flair" players seem to be good in stints but don't last. With the ability to make two additional subs from normal could we see 3 x 30 min appearances in one position. With the sub getting subbed?

Or will it see the possibility of five coming on all at once, a bit like the crappy, low attended friendlies we all suffer during the summer. Oh I may have stumbled on what it may be like...

They can't do that. Only 3 substituting occasions

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think we'll do badly out of this.

We don't have any stars we have lots of players who are all close to being at the same level ...

So for example a team that was

-------------------Ryan
Montoya Webster Dunk Burn
---------Stephens Propper
--------Ali J Mooy Trossard
--------------Maupay

....could become ....

-------------------Ryan
---------Bissouma Alzate
---Gross MacAllister Trossard
--------------Murray

And the quality hasn't gone down very much.

In fact you'd probably find as many people who'd have started with team 2 as team 1

This is in contrast, to others teams in the bottom half, Palace, Villa, Southampton, who are highly reliant on a small number of key players

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Well yes, in an ideal world this would of course be the case

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I don't think we'll do badly out of this.

We don't have any stars we have lots of players who are all close to being at the same level ...

So for example a team that was

-------------------Ryan
---------Stephens Propper
--------Ali J Mooy Trossard
--------------Maupay

....could become ....

-------------------Ryan
---------Bissouma Alzate
---Gross MacAllister Trossard
--------------Murray

And the quality hasn't gone down very much.

In fact you'd probably find as many people who'd have started with team 2 as team 1

This is in contrast, to others teams in the bottom half, Palace, Villa, Southampton, who are highly reliant on a small number of key players

The problem of course is those 2 teams would both have a very likely chance to go down

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
This has totally changed the nature of Rugby Union when you essentially get a fresh Pack on after an hour, it will clearly be a Good Thing for the Richest Clubs with massive squads so not in favour.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This has totally changed the nature of Rugby Union when you essentially get a fresh Pack on after an hour, it will clearly be a Good Thing for the Richest Clubs with massive squads so not in favour.

for a bottom 8 club I think we have strength in depth . . .so we should fair better than say Villa for example who rely solely on JG. Bmuff/Burnley etc don't have big squads do they ? we could have Maupay/Connolley running full tilt for 45m each. aided and abetted by creative wing play from any from AJ/Gross/Trossard/March likewise midfielders.

I think its a great idea

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dont think it will change tactics but surely it will give an advantage to teams with a decent bench. Some teams dont have five bench players that can match their starting eleven and they will suffer from this, others (like Brighton) have 20 decent players but no star players and should be able to get some advantage from this.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that we were the third best in terms of success after making a substitution so far this season in the PL.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Unless I am missing something I dont understand need for this and have different rules in the same season. One of things that is different with Footballers these days is they are fitter then ever. Why do they now need 5 subs because they have not played for a few weeks ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
An increase in the opportunity of fouling of the opposition’s best player, just sub off a player when you get a booking....and repeat up to 5 times.

#thebeautifulgame

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that we were the third best in terms of clawing something back after being utter gash and totally shot shy for over an hour having made a substitution so far this season in the PL.

fixed :rolleyes:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Potter has no qualms about changing players, tactics and formations during a match. This will give him an advantage over many managers as the change he can now install can be radical.

Another reason for us staying up and shooting past 40 points with games to spare.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Unless I am missing something I dont understand need for this and have different rules in the same season. One of things that is different with Footballers these days is they are fitter then ever. Why do they now need 5 subs because they have not played for a few weeks ?

Yes you have missed this virus thing. Its not "a few weeks", its three months. If you look at the Bundesliga now in each game you see players who get very tired pretty early and you see about double the injury breaks compared to before the virus and many teams are rotating a lot between games.

They are not fitter than ever, quite the reverse. If you are a professional athlete and do no or little training for almost three months, you're not fitter than ever.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Biggest way i can see this being used to a tactical advantage is, for example, if chasing a much needed win and you go ahead, you can bring on defensive players to try to hold on to the win and if you do then concede, then you can switch players again and go more attacking. Equally, if chasing that win, you can go more attacking, throwing on more forwards and can then change to a more balanced side once again if you get the advantage you need - meaning teams at the top or bottom of the table have a better chance of getting their desired results (especially against sides who have already secured their survival / settled for mid-table.

It could also see the leagues most influential players kept rested and fresher as here will be more opportunity to replace them during a game than if fewer subs were available (for example, making it easier for Liverpool to sub off Salah, knowing they have more flexibility to change their line up again if the result starts to turn against them)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

I doubt Dyche will change his tactics. In the last three games that Burnley have won by a single goal, there weren't any subs after we went in front. Dyche prefers to keep the same team when it's going well.

I don't watch Brighton closely in the same way you don't watch Burnley closely. Are Brighton a good side for getting on with the job and not making late substitutions even when winning?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It’s turning football into week after week of friendly style matches. It’s rubbish. Changing rules part way through the season is a nonsense. If players are not fit to complete games the games should not be started. Even if you accept that Norwich are probably already relegated, the other teams to go down will feel they have been unfairly treated. And some teams who had players injured or unfit at the break in the season will probably now have all of their players to pick from.

This is bonkers isn’t it? Where’s the integrity of the competition in it all?

No, it’s the money junking football again.

Empty headed empty stadiums moral vacuum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here