Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Hove Fitness & Squash Club [formerly Corals]

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Big rumours that it won’t re open. Any members on here? What have you heard?

It’s been there forever

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Big rumours that it won’t re open. Any members on here? What have you heard?

It’s been there forever

I’m a member and part of a WhatsApp Group that is fighting to see if we can help it survive in some form.

It is true that GVC Plc that own the land and a controlling stake in Ladbrokes-Coral don’t see any value in reopening with any form of restrictions when they are able. So yes, it has been formalised that it will cease to trade on 03 July UNLESS other options can be put forward.

If any other members of the Coral health and fitness club at Orchard Rd want to know what is happening, or trying to happen, then PM me and I can add you to the group.

There are of course far more deadly and important things going on in the world right now, but the Squash Club in particular has had a revival, especially at junior level under coach Ben Hutton producing British champions at various levels, and Ben’s daughter winning her first PSA tournament as a professional last year. Of course former Albion players Sammy Nelson and Paul Flood can still be found playing Racketball every week! (although I only ever see Sammy at the bar so not always sure if he’s played or not) :D

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I’m a member and part of a WhatsApp Group that is fighting to see if we can help it survive in some form.

It is true that GVC Plc that own the land and a controlling stake in Ladbrokes-Coral don’t see any value in reopening with any form of restrictions when they are able. So yes, it has been formalised that it will cease to trade on 03 July UNLESS other options can be put forward.

If any other members of the Coral health and fitness club at Orchard Rd want to know what is happening, or trying to happen, then PM me and I can add you to the group.

There are of course far more deadly and important things going on in the world right now, but the Squash Club in particular has had a revival, especially at junior level under coach Ben Hutton producing British champions at various levels, and Ben’s daughter winning her first PSA tournament as a professional last year. Of course former Albion players Sammy Nelson and Paul Flood can still be found playing Racketball every week! (although I only ever see Sammy at the bar so not always sure if he’s played or not) :D

You had me interested until you used the word Racketball :facepalm: .... really !!!!

Seriously, I'm no gym bunny but Mrs WS is and she visited a couple of years ago when looking for a new gym and in her words "it wasn't very modern". I wish you well trying to save it but it sounds like it needs some investment.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You had me interested until you used the word Racketball :facepalm: .... really !!!!

Seriously, I'm no gym bunny but Mrs WS is and she visited a couple of years ago when looking for a new gym and in her words "it wasn't very modern". I wish you well trying to save it but it sounds like it needs some investment.

Racketball is brilliant! Honestly, it took off at the club last few years with many of the top squash players taking it up making it very competitive. We held a Racketball tournament end of last year and the best players in the country came to play, amazing sport.👍🏼👌🏼

As for your other comments, if anyone is making a late ‘80s/ early 90s TV drama based in a squash and health club, then nothing needs to be changed!! :lolol:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The industry will take an age to recover. Trying to satisfy large numbers of members with limited capacity for the foreseeable future whilst maintaining staff levels to ensure cleaning regimes will beyond a lot of smaller gyms. Especially the budget gyms who have low membership costs because they have low staffing levels.

The word in the industry is that 4th July is unlikely for reopening - at least on a mass scale.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

That’s the issue. Disinvestment has seen the sauna close and promises of further investment not materialise, but it has a great atmosphere, friendly members and staff, plenty of gym equipment, it’s not too busy, cheap with no leaving penalties AND a fantastic car park.

Plus ex Albion clientele.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I used the sports injury clinic there more often than I would have liked. Paul, aka Jesus, was probably the best in town before he moved to Canada and his replacement Tim, aka New Jesus, was pretty decent too. Hope Tim finds somewhere new if it does close but it’s definitely a reason I want them to reopen when normality returns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The industry will take an age to recover. Trying to satisfy large numbers of members with limited capacity for the foreseeable future whilst maintaining staff levels to ensure cleaning regimes will beyond a lot of smaller gyms. Especially the budget gyms who have low membership costs because they have low staffing levels.

The word in the industry is that 4th July is unlikely for reopening - at least on a mass scale.

Places like Corals were struggling anyway, owners with actually little interest in the business as the dog track and gambling makes the money. I love the club, but as [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] pointed out, it lacked a strategy or progressive approach - you still couldn’t book a court online for example, and nothing really got updated.

Could a new approach work? Subscriptions rather than court fees, more open to non members, more affiliations with schools to come in for their PE curriculums. If the owners were going to mothball it anyway, lease terms might be very attractive in order to keep it occupied.

There is some interest so fingers cross.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Went to corals gym once about 5 years ago . Never went back , thought it was quite dirty and very dated . It would probably do well if it had some money spent on it for a refurb but not know the costs would be prohibitive.

Best gym and spa facilities I’ve been to in Sussex by a mile is at South Lodge in Sussex . Apparently they spent over 3 million on their facilities . !

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Went to corals gym once about 5 years ago . Never went back , thought it was quite dirty and very dated . It would probably do well if it had some money spent on it for a refurb but not know the costs would be prohibitive.

Best gym and spa facilities I’ve been to in Sussex by a mile is at South Lodge in Sussex . Apparently they spent over 3 million on their facilities . !

Quite possibly South Lodge is aiming at a different market than Corals 😉

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Places like Corals were struggling anyway, owners with actually little interest in the business as the dog track and gambling makes the money. I love the club, but as [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] pointed out, it lacked a strategy or progressive approach - you still couldn’t book a court online for example, and nothing really got updated.

Could a new approach work? Subscriptions rather than court fees, more open to non members, more affiliations with schools to come in for their PE curriculums. If the owners were going to mothball it anyway, lease terms might be very attractive in order to keep it occupied.

There is some interest so fingers cross.

The problem you have with Corals is the squash - it is dying out in terms of popularity and, by association, profit. I have lost count of the amount of centres we have taken over and replaced squash courts with soft play or studios. Some centres use their squash courts as storage for their spin bikes. You will struggle to get somewhere to take up the slack if that closes. A hardcore set of players is not enough to warrant putting courts in or keeping existing ones. The industry is all about dance classes, virtual studio classes, all singing and dancing equipment. And for those that don't want that, there are a host of budget gyms with cast off equipment and vey few staff. The middle ground has been squeezed for a few years and time will tell how this will affect the industry in the future. Not in a good way is my prediction.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I think the ones that are not 24 hours will seriously look at that option to spread out usage.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think the ones that are not 24 hours will seriously look at that option to spread out usage.

Unlikely - National Living Wage makes staffing costs too high for the return. That is the dilemma facing the industry - being COVID compliant takes a lot of staff to maintain distancing/cleaning etc. Reduced capacity means reduced income. Liability insurance might get interesting as well.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Unlikely - National Living Wage makes staffing costs too high for the return. That is the dilemma facing the industry - being COVID compliant takes a lot of staff to maintain distancing/cleaning etc. Reduced capacity means reduced income. Liability insurance might get interesting as well.

True - Trade off maybe more members due to closed gyms.

Plus (can only go on gyms in crawley) the 2 24 hours ones I have used are not staffed overnight.

My gym was using instagram non stop to promote workout from home, this stopped about 2 weeks ago - I feel they maybe gone

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The problem you have with Corals is the squash - it is dying out in terms of popularity and, by association, profit. I have lost count of the amount of centres we have taken over and replaced squash courts with soft play or studios. Some centres use their squash courts as storage for their spin bikes. You will struggle to get somewhere to take up the slack if that closes. A hardcore set of players is not enough to warrant putting courts in or keeping existing ones. The industry is all about dance classes, virtual studio classes, all singing and dancing equipment. And for those that don't want that, there are a host of budget gyms with cast off equipment and vey few staff. The middle ground has been squeezed for a few years and time will tell how this will affect the industry in the future. Not in a good way is my prediction.

The thing is with Corals though, unlike all the classes you mention etc. is it generates bar income. Squash players are a sociable lot, for first XI matches up there we get a hundred people at the bar. There are plenty of people treat it as their local even when not playing. Think more could be made of the bar and perhaps add a cafe, has a terrace overlooking the dog track. More than just the courts. And I’ve always thought more could be done for flexible use of the courts during off peak times. But I don’t disagree, per sq m court fee returns are difficult in their own right.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Interestingly Corals membership comprises a core of squash and gym members who are loyal, social, like the convenience, are comfortably well off and are creatures of habit. They were quite vocal, collectively and individually, when the sauna was closed but their pleas fell on deaf ears. Whilst used to cheap membership if it came to it I’m sure they would be prepared to pay more to save the club.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The thing is with Corals though, unlike all the classes you mention etc. is it generates bar income. Squash players are a sociable lot, for first XI matches up there we get a hundred people at the bar. There are plenty of people treat it as their local even when not playing. Think more could be made of the bar and perhaps add a cafe, has a terrace overlooking the dog track. More than just the courts. And I’ve always thought more could be done for flexible use of the courts during off peak times. But I don’t disagree, per sq m court fee returns are difficult in their own right.

I get that - we still have a couple of centres that sell alcohol and it sells well. But none of the big players will see it as an opportunity to turn around if Corals pull out. It is likely one of those centres that is a going concern until something stops it being a going concern. Once the current operators decide it isn't for them then it is unlikely to be replaced - at least like for like. And a budget gym may want the space but won't want the hassle of an alcohol license and all of the H&S requirements around it. It sounds like one of the last of a dying breed. I was at Hampden Park school when they built their Sports Centre in the 80s and that had a bar. I played pool for Physiques in Bexhill around 1990 and they had a bar. But gym culture has changed and it looks like this pandemic may kill of some of the last hold outs which is sad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here