Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Hove Fitness & Squash Club [formerly Corals]

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
In other news I heard that 'The Circle' in Portslade is closing / has closed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Gyms should be pretty easy to bring back I would have thought.

Depending on the set up you can book hour slots - either CV or Weights - there are wipes everywhere - and a cleaner goes round after every hour block.

It’s not ideal - but it’s a start.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove

Depending on the set up you can book hour slots - either CV or Weights - there are wipes everywhere - and a cleaner goes round after every hour block.

Govt says no to indoor gyms.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Trust me - there has been an awful lot of work and planning gone on - staff and material costs as well - but this hasn't convinced the government for whatever reason. A lot of planning was in place and undone this lunchtime. At least give proposed dates that are subject to change rather than dropping hints, incurring large expense and then saying no.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Trust me - there has been an awful lot of work and planning gone on - staff and material costs as well - but this hasn't convinced the government for whatever reason. A lot of planning was in place and undone this lunchtime. At least give proposed dates that are subject to change rather than dropping hints, incurring large expense and then saying no.

I don’t doubt you at all.

It was more a dig at gov -

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thinking about it

Don’t gyms have a better track and trace system in place than the Gov?

Having to scan in and out gives a complete list of everyone.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Thinking about it

In general, yes. Will depend on the gym and the system used - the influx of budget gyms means insisting on an induction for PAYG visitors was pretty much removed so not every one is scanned in or logged but the majority are.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Thinking about it

I don't really get the idea behind trying to take everyone's name coming into a pub / restaurant etc. I thought track and trace only tried to contact people who the infected person had been in close contact with for more than 15 mins indoors. There is no way they are going to contact the 100 people the person happened to be in the same pub as and ask them all to isolate for 14 days. Also, unless they also log what time each person leaves they will not know who was in the pub at the same time. Possibly the information would only be used if there is some sort of 'mass outbreak' from one venue on one day emerging- then they would try to contact the other people who were there? Seems v. unlikely to me.

Same with gyms- they may know who came in and out and when, but they will have no idea who was close to who, and it seems unlikely that 2 people would be at close quarters for more than 15 mins because surely any measures in place when gyms re-open will require people training alone, being spaced out etc.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Quite alarming really that they were one of the last things to close

The kind of measures proposed now were already in place before lockdown - kit spaced out etc. Didn't make much odds as attendance was around 10% of normal. And actually, gyms were closed the same time as shops, restaurants and cinemas.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Any more news on that?

Only intel I have is that it's happened / is deffo happening. They've been selling off their equipment so it seems definitive. not sure what communication there has been with members / users.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Corals gym closed today for good (for economic reasons - it’s owned by one of the biggest betting coys in the world!).

Bids have been submitted to form a new gym

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Impulse leisure in Adur could be going under with130 jobs gone so that leaves no swimming pool, two gyms gone, badminton and squash etc. Sad days.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Corals gym closed today for good (for economic reasons - it’s owned by one of the biggest betting coys in the world!).

Bids have been submitted to form a new gym

That's a shame. Do you know what will happen to the squash club? They were pretty big! Played down there a fair few times, Ben Hutton is a really nice lad

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That's a shame. Do you know what will happen to the squash club? They were pretty big! Played down there a fair few times, Ben Hutton is a really nice lad

I think at least some of the bids include squash

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Corals has been saved with Ben part of the new team!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
BS - as much as you can and are allowed please would you post any updates and developments on here. Understand if you can’t.

[NOT SO...] HOT OFF THE PRESS

GVC, the holding company of Coral Ladbroke has agreed a lease arrangement with an interested party, who in conjunction with Ben Hutton the coach, and a few other parties (including myself :D) have been behind the formation of a charity entity that will rename the club to The Orchard Club, or Orchard Health and Rackets or something.

The next steps will be getting the club Covid-ready, and we have to establish a whole new membership database. We're hoping for a more streamline / online / monthly subscription, swipe in and out, pre-loaded cards for spending at bar / cafe etc.

We think what was formally used as a creche could be a safe distanced spin studio enabling the gym equipment to be spread out more. We may have to give up a squash court depending on depending for a gym space if social distancing requires it.

Anyway, the good news is, after 01 September the club will be in charity ownership with representative trustees from various aspects of the club.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here