Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Hove Fitness & Squash Club [formerly Corals]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interestingly Corals membership comprises a core of squash and gym members who are loyal, social, like the convenience, are comfortably well off and are creatures of habit. They were quite vocal, collectively and individually, when the sauna was closed but their pleas fell on deaf ears. Whilst used to cheap membership if it came to it I’m sure they would be prepared to pay more to save the club.

When I first joined a member who I shall not name regularly went naked in there after a shower, and as a new member he said to me yeah completely fine - and I assumed that of course meant it was exclusive access to the male changing room. It wasn’t of course, and my first use I probably escaped an indecent exposure charge by about a minute!!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Blimey. That place was one of my first memories of the Albion. Pints of coke and endless pool for my cousin and I whilst my dad had some beers and watched Old Varndenians. Great days.

The sound of being buzzed in through the door to reception heralded the favourite part of my week. Shame if it goes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was a member of Corals from 1999 for the best part of ten years. After 4pm it was packed throughout in that era, queues of mates hogging the 'Smith Machine'.

Also lots of sellout high alcohol parties in the bar from the 80's onwards, some for firms do's.

Do you still have to walk up a load of steps to sign in, to then descend a load of stairs to go to the gym/changing rooms? Seemed a silly layout.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Gyms wont work with lots of restrictions / measures in place. But if numbers keep dropping as projected, by July there could be a more realistic chance of re-opening with the sort of measures they had put in place pre-lockdown - i.e. handwashing, deep cleans overnight etc.

Quite a few things don't work with measures like the 2m guideline in place- e.g. Trains, buses, tubes, aeroplanes, airports, pubs, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, theatres, music venues, festivals, sports spectators etc. For this reason I guess the guidelines like 2m will be ditched as soon as is possible to enable these businesses to function in a way that is practical / profitable.

I think gyms / cafes / restaurants / transport without such restrictions may be feasible come July as I imagine is occurring in many countries already which are further along the downward curve.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was a member of Corals from 1999 for the best part of ten years. After 4pm it was packed throughout in that era, queues of mates hogging the 'Smith Machine'.

Also lots of sellout high alcohol parties in the bar from the 80's onwards, some for firms do's.

Do you still have to walk up a load of steps to sign in, to then descend a load of stairs to go to the gym/changing rooms? Seemed a silly layout.

If you haven't been since 2009, then NOTHING will have changed! :rolleyes:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Gyms wont work with lots of restrictions / measures in place. But if numbers keep dropping as projected, by July there could be a more realistic chance of re-opening with the sort of measures they had put in place pre-lockdown - i.e. handwashing, deep cleans overnight etc.

Quite a few things don't work with measures like the 2m guideline in place- e.g. Trains, buses, tubes, aeroplanes, airports, pubs, restaurants, cafes, cinemas, theatres, music venues, festivals, sports spectators etc. For this reason I guess the guidelines like 2m will be ditched as soon as is possible to enable these businesses to function in a way that is practical / profitable.

I think gyms / cafes / restaurants / transport without such restrictions may be feasible come July as I imagine is occurring in many countries already which are further along the downward curve.

For all indoor locations - gyms, cinemas, stadia concourses, pubs, restaurants and hotels, one of the problems is using facilities such as loos. How can that be achieved without people passing within 2m of each other? Even in a half full venue, that seems an impossibility to me. What will gyms do about changing rooms?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And Teddy Maybank. The squash club football team was quite formidable at one point!

As a 17 year old barman (afternoon shifts, in the days before all-day licensing) I was pressed into that team. My competition for the left back slot, had fifty international caps - I was rubbish but could run fast, so I did get some games!

Loads of talent in that side - not just Flood, Nelson and Ted, but Ted’s brother Martin was decent, too. Sammy Donnelly wasn’t bad, either. But while they were good, fitness and pace was a BIT of an issue!

Footballers treated their bodies terribly back then - and were treated appalling by the clubs. Cortisone injections to mask injuries, etc meant they were ****ed up, when their pro careers were done. Maybank, at this stage (1989) was only 33 years old - younger than Bruno or Glenn Murray!

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011

It looks like yesterday's briefing saw the start of the scrapping of the 2m social distancing measures. Gov acknowledged that this cannot always be achieved on public transport and will now require face coverings. I assume this is because 2m reduces capacity by 90% and is therefore not workable, whereas face coverings have no impact upon capacity and operation of public transport.

Gov has already acknowledged that face coverings have little impact (BBC quoted a study yesterday which had found without face coverings your chances of catching Covid from an infected person in proximity to you would be 2.6%, which reduces to 1.3% with face coverings in use).

So we are now moving towards less disruptive measures which do not impact upon practical operations, but do give people some peace of mind / confidence to get back out there.

This is how we will move to gyms re-opening. Along with cafes, pubs, restaurants etc.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It looks like yesterday's briefing saw the start of the scrapping of the 2m social distancing measures. Gov acknowledged that this cannot always be achieved on public transport and will now require face coverings. I assume this is because 2m reduces capacity by 90% and is therefore not workable, whereas face coverings have no impact upon capacity and operation of public transport.

Gov has already acknowledged that face coverings have little impact (BBC quoted a study yesterday which had found without face coverings your chances of catching Covid from an infected person in proximity to you would be 2.6%, which reduces to 1.3% with face coverings in use).

So we are now moving towards less disruptive measures which do not impact upon practical operations, but do give people some peace of mind / confidence to get back out there.

This is how we will move to gyms re-opening. Along with cafes, pubs, restaurants etc.

Won't work like that with gyms. A recent survey showed over 40% of people aren't willing to return any time soon. And the only way the Government will be persuaded to reopen gyms is if they are convinced that sufficient measures are in place. These are the guidelines drawn up by UK Active - a not for profit body with members from all parts of the gym and leisure centre spectrum.

https://www.ukactive.com/wp-content...f-the-gym-and-fitness-industry-ukactive-2.pdf

It would appear as if "show gyms" will be set up to demonstrate these measures in action. But even if the go ahead is given in early July, there have already been swathes of redundancies making staffing these measures challenging to say the least. Reduced capacity and reduced customer confidence means reduced income. Reduced income means reduced staff which means reduced capacity. Factor in those companies that operate in Wales or Scotland and you will have staggered openings but the need to unfurlough back end staff.

It may be that new startups fill the gap in future but there won't be the wide choice of options that were available pre March for the foreseeable future. The same as pubs, restaurants, cinemas and theatres, the industries that have not yet been allowed to open will take a long time to recover as they have remained closed for a reason - they are high risk venues. Removing the 2m rule won't get 100% of previous customers back - for every person dying to get back to doing x, there is someone concerned that it still isn't safe or they are happier with the alternative they have discovered when forced to look elsewhere.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Won't work like that with gyms. A recent survey showed over 40% of people aren't willing to return any time soon. And the only way the Government will be persuaded to reopen gyms is if they are convinced that sufficient measures are in place. These are the guidelines drawn up by UK Active - a not for profit body with members from all parts of the gym and leisure centre spectrum.

https://www.ukactive.com/wp-content...f-the-gym-and-fitness-industry-ukactive-2.pdf

It would appear as if "show gyms" will be set up to demonstrate these measures in action. But even if the go ahead is given in early July, there have already been swathes of redundancies making staffing these measures challenging to say the least. Reduced capacity and reduced customer confidence means reduced income. Reduced income means reduced staff which means reduced capacity. Factor in those companies that operate in Wales or Scotland and you will have staggered openings but the need to unfurlough back end staff.

It may be that new startups fill the gap in future but there won't be the wide choice of options that were available pre March for the foreseeable future. The same as pubs, restaurants, cinemas and theatres, the industries that have not yet been allowed to open will take a long time to recover as they have remained closed for a reason - they are high risk venues. Removing the 2m rule won't get 100% of previous customers back - for every person dying to get back to doing x, there is someone concerned that it still isn't safe or they are happier with the alternative they have discovered when forced to look elsewhere.

Really useful advice and links DS. :thumbsup:

I've sent you a PM.:D

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011

I think a key factor is that the infection numbers appear to be progressing towards zero. Once number get very low, the chances of coming into contact with someone with the virus become very low. At that point if we get there, and I know we are not there now, people will become more confident / relaxed, and measures such as 2m will be disproportionate to what would be an extremely low risk. In the short-term I understand that some measures may be put in place to reassure people, but at some point we will revert to normal attitudes and behaviour and I don't think that will take long.

I appreciate I am speculating, but if the chances of infection get so low, as appear to be the case in other countries which are further along the curve, IMHO we will get back to normal functioning gyms, cafes, restaurants etc. And people in football stadiums! Some spectators attending matches has already been proposed in Italy and Spain.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Really useful advice and links DS. :thumbsup:

I've sent you a PM.:D

I have replied in 3 messages as it shouted at me for being too long! :D All the best in getting it sorted - don't know if Darryl still checks on here and can offer advice.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think a key factor is that the infection numbers appear to be progressing towards zero. Once number get very low, the chances of coming into contact with someone with the virus become very low. At that point if we get there, and I know we are not there now, people will become more confident / relaxed, and measures such as 2m will be disproportionate to what would be an extremely low risk. In the short-term I understand that some measures may be put in place to reassure people, but at some point we will revert to normal attitudes and behaviour and I don't think that will take long.

I appreciate I am speculating, but if the chances of infection get so low, as appear to be the case in other countries which are further along the curve, IMHO we will get back to normal functioning gyms, cafes, restaurants etc. And people in football stadiums! Some spectators attending matches has already been proposed in Italy and Spain.

I just sent the details to Bold Seagull via PM but the gist is that the industry does not expect to get back to previous levels for 12-18 months - and that is assuming a vaccine is found. The question is, how may business can last that long before going bust.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
An update - looks like early July might be an option for some sites if allowed be government but expect strict rules on numbers to start with.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
An update - looks like early July might be an option for some sites if allowed be government but expect strict rules on numbers to start with.

Italy are meant to be 14 days ahead of us virus-wise and they re-opened gyms and swimming pools 29 May, so start of July does sound feasible for the UK.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
So much for this bold prediction. :down: 3 out of 4 ain't bad but ...

:lolol: Well- 2m rule has gone which is a big step in the right direction! Maybe once the pubs etc are open people will feel more confident about the remaining businesses which are still shut re-opening?

New prediction- indoor gyms open by the end of July.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
BS - as much as you can and are allowed please would you post any updates and developments on here. Understand if you can’t.

We may well have a landlord interested in a short term lease and potentially interested parties in taking it on. Obviously so much uncertainty about when things can open and in what form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here