Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quarantine

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't understand why the government doesn't enforce the quarantine through the use of technology, which is what has been happening in Asia for months.

When you arrive at the airport you are given an electronic wristband and you need to pair it with an app on your phone. You are asked to walk around your home for a couple of minutes to set your 'allowed' perimeter. The app analyses environment communication signals in your house, like Bluetooth/WiFi, and geospatial signals in the streets and their respective strengths. If a change in the signals is reported the authorities are alerted, so it's a little similar to being on the police tag system.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My 78 year Dad and his partner flew back to Bristol from Malaga on a packed Easyjet flight on March 24th, when Spain was in a state of emergency, and went off as normal after landing just like everyone else was doing at the time.

3 months later, quarantine is finally introduced. Great. :thumbsup:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Probably the first and last time I will agree with Michael O'Leary. (link below) You could be anywhere should the Home Office contact you. There is even an option on the declaration for only being contacted by SMS! (I took a test drive of the declaration to test my eyesight) An ITV London reporter interviewed a young man this morning who had arrived from Switzerland - he knew nothing about the 14 day rule and was in the landside area! Are the online declarations not linked to immigration control? Border Force are unsure of how to enforce it as they only received guidance last Friday according to the link below. The whole thing has farce written all over it. Par for Priti Useless.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52959118

An ill thought policy three months too late. The quarantine horse bolted from the Cheltenham Festival. A piece of window dressing that will reduce an already damaged travel industry to a pile of rubble. Not that many Europeans would wish to holiday in the UK at this time anyway. So many potential loopholes in the policy too. Aside the official exceptions, anyone 'creative' could surely get around the 14 day quarantine without too much effort. Looking at YouGov I've spotted potentially three. Had this been enacted in March it would have made sense. To do it now as the rest of Europe is cautiously opening seems illogical.

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Probably the first and last time I will agree with Michael O'Leary. (link below) You could be anywhere should the Home Office contact you. There is even an option on the declaration for only being contacted by SMS! (I took a test drive of the declaration to test my eyesight) An ITV London reporter interviewed a young man this morning who had arrived from Switzerland - he knew nothing about the 14 day rule and was in the landside area! Are the online declarations not linked to immigration control? Border Force are unsure of how to enforce it as they only received guidance last Friday according to the link below. The whole thing has farce written all over it. Par for Priti Useless.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52959118

An ill thought policy three months too late. The quarantine horse bolted from the Cheltenham Festival. A piece of window dressing that will reduce an already damaged travel industry to a pile of rubble. Not that many Europeans would wish to holiday in the UK at this time anyway. So many potential loopholes in the policy too. Aside the official exceptions, anyone 'creative' could surely get around the 14 day quarantine without too much effort. Looking at YouGov I've spotted potentially three. Had this been enacted in March it would have made sense. To do it now as the rest of Europe is cautiously seems illogical.
That's why I'm astounded they don't use the technology I mentioned above. The government and their scientific advisors are a farce.

Europe, let alone Asia are looking at the UK in disbelief.

Pinkie Brown

Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
That's why I'm astounded they don't use the technology I mentioned above. The government and their scientific advisors are a farce.

Europe, let alone Asia are looking at the UK in disbelief.

Indeed. The way the crisis has been handled hasn't gone unnoticed in other parts of Europe. A German current affairs show ran a feature last week on the Cummings saga and Johnson in general. At the end, the main presenter gave a little roll of the eyes and a wry smile with a quip about a blind man driving a car, the other shaking her head & barely able to contain her laughter. With the antics of the last four years, the UK is often looked upon with a mixture of bemusement and pity.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
My 78 year Dad and his partner flew back to Bristol from Malaga on a packed Easyjet flight on March 24th, when Spain was in a state of emergency, and went off as normal after landing just like everyone else was doing at the time.

3 months later, quarantine is finally introduced. Great. :thumbsup:

What we are seeing now is a stunt to say they did it and took our borders seriously.

The hard reality is our R rate has fallen slower than Italy, France, Spain etc due to government incompetence. We are paying the human and economic cost

Pinkie Brown

Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Aside the futile concept of the quarantine, the software designers of the online declaration have indulged in a spot of nostalgia with the return of countries that haven't existed for many years. Anyone from East Germany should make sure they fill it in correctly else they may get a 'visit' in the middle of the night from Stasi ops. Also Yugoslavia is back. Rather confusing for Serbians. You also have the option of Serbia and Montenegro or just Serbia. So three choices.They'll be a few Croatians pissed off with the choice of Yugoslavia I suspect. It's reassuring the government and its contractors pay such attention to detail. All bodes well for the track n trace app and of course Brexit.

quarantine.DDR.jpg

Quarantine.CZ.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Aside the futile concept of the quarantine, the software designers of the online declaration have indulged in a spot of nostalgia with the return of countries that haven't existed for many years. Anyone from East Germany should make sure they fill it in correctly else they may get a 'visit' in the middle of the night from Stasi ops. Also Yugoslavia is back. Rather confusing for Serbians. You also have the option of Serbia and Montenegro or just Serbia. So three choices.They'll be a few Croatians pissed off with the choice of Yugoslavia I suspect. It's reassuring the government and its contractors pay such attention to detail. All bodes well for the track n trace app and of course Brexit.

View attachment 124927

View attachment 124928

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/save/start.contactEmail

Blimey, I thought that was a hoax, its not...

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Shapps interview on Sky News said ‘air bridges’ won’t come into force before 29 June. From which I take it they will come into force on the 29 June! They have to ditch it for EU countries surely.

Spain ditching their quarantine requirement for UK travellers from Sunday.

Completely accept it is not a priority; but I'm relatively keen on jumping on a plane and having a few days somewhere to completely escape the tedium and work of the past few months. If these bridges (or excuses to undermine a far too late daft policy without abandoning it) come in to force I can see temptation.

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Completely accept it is not a priority; but I'm relatively keen on jumping on a plane and having a few days somewhere to completely escape the tedium and work of the past few months. If these bridges (or excuses to undermine a far too late daft policy without abandoning it) come in to force I can see temptation.

Looks pretty likely the 14 day quarantine on return to UK could well be ditched by / on 29 June for travel from many countries, so I guess some people may take the risk to fly out before then- on the basis the measure will have gone by the time their return flight lands.

Other considerations are any restrictions in the destination country- e.g. France currently maintaining a 'voluntary' 14 day quarantine for arrivals from the UK purely as a reciprocal measure. And FCO guidance still recommends against all non-essential travel so anyone travelling for leisure before that changes will be doing so without valid travel insurance.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looks pretty likely the 14 day quarantine on return to UK could well be ditched by / on 29 June for travel from many countries, so I guess some people may take the risk to fly out before then- on the basis the measure will have gone by the time their return flight lands.

Other considerations are any restrictions in the destination country- e.g. France currently maintaining a 'voluntary' 14 day quarantine for arrivals from the UK purely as a reciprocal measure. And FCO guidance still recommends against all non-essential travel so anyone travelling for leisure before that changes will be doing so without valid travel insurance.

Oddly I think we will include the states....

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Oddly I think we will include the states....

Yeah would think USA ('special relationship') plus all EU countries would be the starting point. Maybe not Sweden- looking a bit dodgy on infection rate and its not coming down..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Reckon if anyone is thinking of flying this summer book now as when the quarantine is lifted prices will soar.

Have flights booked for August and rescheduled them, there is no way I'm travelling by air for while yet, just not worth it

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Spain ditching 14 quarantine requirement for arrivals from UK from tomorrow (21 June)

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
TUI have said they will only fly passengers to destinations with no quarantine requirements for UK arrivals and where there is no quarantine requirement when returning to the UK.

Could take this as TUI putting pressure on Gov to remove quarantine requirement, or more likely they have had pretty firm advice that the quarantine requirement coming back from the key destinations (Portugal, France, Spain, Greece etc. will be ditched from 29th or soon after.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Spain lifts quarantine for UK travellers. The summer season is so important for their economy they cleared decided to take a punt.

Face mask mandatory in all public spaces

Marty___Mcfly

Sep 14, 2011
Travel will open up bigtime when Gov announce an update to the FCO guidance and some travel corridor agreements - likely announcements this week coming, and could see the changes in place from 29 June.

Some bargains to be had for those who book now, e.g. Ryanair flights going v cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here