Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quarantine

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why are we now putting entrants into the UK into quarantine?

Apart from fruit pickers from Romania apparently (among others).

But including folk coming over (or back) from France.

So your plane lands at Heathrow, and you are told to go into 2 weeks' quarantine (which we'll call quazza for short).

You say 'OK mate', leave the airport, get on the Heathrow Express, stop off at the supermarket, and go home. There won't be any checks. WTF? ???

What if you're in your early 20s and live with your parents? Won't they have to quazza too?

Nobody knows.

Meanwhile France who a week ago thought had a deal with us over quazza, only to be the last to know that Cummings has changed his mind, have said 'Va te faire foutre, têtes de bite' and have now imposed quarantine on us. Except, in France you'll probably be required to do it down the local nick, while the station sargeant comments on the lovliness of his Holy Grail.

This country has turned into an absolute joke in the last few weeks.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
It's all very unclear and like a lot of COVID- related advice/instruction, seems very woolly and open to wide interpretation. Forty years ago the Army taught me on an "efficient writing" course that if an order/instruction CAN be misunderstood it WILL be misunderstood. I've thought of that quite often recently!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The public are getting confused and increasingly fustrated.

Meanwhile, Ryanair are emailing their database sayng Italy is OPEN, Portugal is OPEN and saying the quarantine idea is utter shite

Home office advice, "no non-essential international travel"

Very interesting to see how many people take the skies this summer

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
There is a strong rumour that Cummings is behind this, because polls indicate the public strongly support it. I don't. I haven't come across any people that do.

Thats not to say some don't, but these presumably are the same people that don't want to leave their houses. Two sides of the same problem coin.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

So your plane lands at Heathrow, and you are told to go into 2 weeks' quarantine (which we'll call quazza for short).

You say 'OK mate', leave the airport, get on the Heathrow Express, stop off at the supermarket, and go home. There won't be any checks. WTF? ???

What if you're in your early 20s and live with your parents? Won't they have to quazza too?

Nobody knows.

Meanwhile France who a week ago thought had a deal with us over quazza, only to be the last to know that Cummings has changed his mind, have said 'Va te faire foutre, têtes de bite' and have now imposed quarantine on us. Except, in France you'll probably be required to do it down the local nick, while the station sargeant comments on the lovliness of his Holy Grail.

Weeks !!! I would say since the beginning of this year...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Nobody knows.

The lunatics have taken over aviation. Whole thing's an incoherent mess, and has been all year

Last edited:

Apparently Greece trial ran and tested everyone on a flight from Qatar, 90 passengers on board and 12 tested positive. We have at least one flight from Qatar to England every day.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/06/02/greece-flights-qatar-coronavirus-passengers-positive/

So Greece, who have handled the crisis well, have the capacity to test incoming passengers while we bumble along introducing a generic unenforceable quarantine. The rest of the world must be looking on in amazement at the idiots running this country.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I really don't get why the Government are pushing for this at this stage. Priti Patel will not publish the scientific data, because it doesn't support the action. Again smacks of utter ineptitude from the powers that be :(

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So Greece, who have handled the crisis well, have the capacity to test incoming passengers while we bumble along introducing a generic unenforceable quarantine. The rest of the world must be looking on in amazement at the idiots running this country.

They're like rabbits caught in the headlights, they really are. Countless people have died as a direct result of the dreadful decision-making of these mediocrities

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

The passengers that go through the U.K. are infinitely higher than Greece though, it’s not really a fair comparison. My point was, the danger that incoming passengers do possibly still pose. Don’t get me wrong I think this quarantine idea is stupid but shows you without fast testing air travel is the perfect breeding ground for COVID

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
because some scientific advice, Patel and possibly Cummings say it should be done. so it'll be done, for a couple of weeks then lifted because its been done. pointless exercise because politicans are weak and being led by advisors.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not sure it's a capacity issue.

I heard Sir David King, former Chief Scientific Adviser and behind the setup of "Independent Sage", on the radio recently and his view was that tests at the border are of limited use since there is a period of time where someone is infected but would likely return a negative test result. These cases would be released into the community, would reach the stage where they start to shed the virus, and begin to infect others.

As part of the same interview, King was pretty damning on many aspects of the government's response (or lack of) to the pandemic, but he DID agree that the 14-day quarantine measure was effective and was supportive of it.

I also don't get those who say "it's not enforceable". Almost everything we've been told to do over the last three months has not been unenforceable, but most people have complied because it was deemed the right thing to do for our wider community.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I also don't get those who say "it's not enforceable". Almost everything we've been told to do over the last three months has not been unenforceable, but most people have complied because it was deemed the right thing to do for our wider community.

Do you not think peoples's patience with this is coming to an end? I know mine is. People will comply provided there is evidence of logic and progress. There is not much sign of either. The Government has had 10 weeks plus to sort things out. They have not done well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you not think peoples's patience with this is coming to an end? I know mine is. People will comply provided there is evidence of logic and progress. There is not much sign of either. The Government has had 10 weeks plus to sort things out. They have not done well.

You can't see the logic that those arriving from overseas quarantining for 14 days is a measure that would assist with suppressing virus spread?

Should it have been done earlier? Yep.
Will it dissuade Brits from booking overseas holidays? Unquestionably.
Will visitors be put off coming to the UK? Sure.
Would it cause economic hardship to the travel and hospitality industries? Absolutely.

But as a tactic for virus spread suppression, if followed, it would clearly work.

Look, I'm neither arguing for it nor against it. I was merely saying that because something is unenforceable, it does not mean it is not worthwhile.

No one can enforce me adhering to the 30mph speed limit in my road, but I'm not going to go and get in my car and floor it to see how fast I can go.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
You can't see the logic that those arriving from overseas quarantining for 14 days is a measure that would assist with suppressing virus spread?

Would it cause economic hardship to the travel and hospitality industries? Absolutely.

But as a tactic, if followed, it would clearly work.

Look, I'm neither arguing for it nor against it. I was merely saying that because something is unenforceable, it does not mean it is not worthwhile.

No one can enforce me adhering to the 30mph speed limit in my road, but I'm not going to go and get in my car and floor it to see how fast I can go.

I probably start from a different place here.

If you look at a map of Europe graded Red, Amber, Green the UK would be one of the few Country's now marked Red. Most of Europe would be Green with a few Amber. You have to be practical - the chances of us exporting the virus is significantly higher than importing it. So why a blanket Quarantine?

Secondly, we have done grevious harm to the economy already - 10 weeks worth. My own view is we don't have room to do much more. If we continue, there are many industries not coming back. I won't say ever, but not for a long time. That's not a sensible course of action.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm not sure it's a capacity issue.

capacity issue is where do thousands of people stay when they arrive and quarantined. Greece has probably more hotel capacity for people to stay overnight. looking it up those from UK and some others are deemed high risk, have to isolate for a week even if testing negative. not so great for a holiday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I probably start from a different place here.

If you look at a map of Europe graded Red, Amber, Green the UK would be one of the few Country's now marked Red. Most of Europe would be Green with a few Amber. You have to be practical - the chances of us exporting the virus is significantly higher than importing it. So why a blanket Quarantine?

Secondly, we have done grevious harm to the economy already - 10 weeks worth. My own view is we don't have room to do much more. If we continue, there are many industries not coming back. I won't say ever, but not for a long time. That's not a sensible course of action.

I'm not starting from any point. I'm just saying that because something is not enforceable, it doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.

It may not be worthwhile, but I'm not saying that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

But as a tactic for virus spread suppression, if followed, it would clearly work.

Would it? We've got more cases per person than almost every other country. I'm much more likely to get it by interacting with another British person than I am with someone who has come in from another country.

Other countries should be quarantining us.

This government just falls back on xenophobia and British exceptionalism when it hasn't got a clue, (which is all the time).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Quarantine, eh?

nmbiOS7B_400x400.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here