Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] M'Baye Niang

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see the Daily Star has been running a story that we are interested in the 25 year-old Rennes striker but that his head has now been turned by talk of Marseille dangling a 5-year deal. A fee of £15 million was mentioned.

While this maybe pure paper talk - no other outlets have picked up on this story - it is a glimpse of what lurks just around the corner for us with this summer's transfer window, and our penchant for taking a punt. This guy scored 2 in 16 while at Watford, he did OK but binned them off and joined Torino, but hasn't started for them since. He's been loaned out 5 times. Wikipedia also details how he seems a bit accident prone:

In February 2014, while playing for Montpellier on loan, Niang crashed his Ferrari into a tree and was sentenced to a suspended 18-month jail sentenced for an alleged hit-and-run accident which left 11 others injured. The player was also charged with endangering people's lives and driving without a licence.

In March 2016, Niang had been involved in a car crash over the weekend, though it was made clear he was not under the influence of alcohol. Milan confirmed that Niang has suffered an injury to the capsular ligament in his left ankle, as well as bruising to his left shoulder following a car accident.

In June 2016, Niang who just came back from a 2-month lay off due to a car accident, jumped off the roof of his house into a pool and posted a video on social media. It drew criticism from fans and people alike, who branded him an 'idiot' and a 'clown' for performing this dangerous stunt. There were rumours that the club were furious with this and were prepared to sell him during the summer window, but however he was forgiven.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But apart from that, he passes the No Dickhead Rule?

I don't know if I can take weeks of speculation about spending millions on guys like him that crash sports cars and dive into swimming pools from the roof. And that's after trawling through paragraphs and paragraphs about Paul Pogba and Jadon Sancho.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But apart from that, he passes the No Dickhead Rule?

We only accept players who list their hobbies as eating lentils and prayer, they must have rescued at least 7 drowning puppies and maybe rescued the odd cat from a tree

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They can have him/keep him.

Apart from anything else, the roads are dangerous enough over here anyway.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't know if I can take weeks of speculation about spending millions on guys like him that crash sports cars and dive into swimming pools from the roof

This. What a fine role model and ambassador for the game eh? Tho would probably slot right into the PL moral swamp with some 'lucky' club :rolleyes:

'In February 2014, while playing for Montpellier on loan, Niang crashed his Ferrari into a tree and was sentenced to a suspended 18-month jail sentenced for an alleged hit-and-run accident which left 11 others injured. The player was also charged with endangering people's lives and driving without a licence.'

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We only accept players who list their hobbies as eating lentils and prayer, they must have rescued at least 7 drowning puppies and maybe rescued the odd cat from a tree

I wouldn’t want any of our players going up trees to rescue cats... If that’s not written into their contract then it’s all too crazy for me

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Well of course Marseille would want a player with his exemplary scoring record. It couldn't be that the agent has made that up at all? Because otherwise he sounds perfect for us in the Championship next season.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just seen this quote from Andre Villas Boas, Marseille coach.

“I don’t know why the Niang name has come out. We contacted his agent in February because Andoni (Zubizarreta, ex-Sporting Director) had a good relationship with him. We made our interest known about a transfer at the end of the year. His profile is interesting, but on the one hand we don’t have the money required and on the other hand, we did not put his name on the list of players to buy.”

“It started to gather momentum and I do not know why, to the point where the player was in contact with certain members of our squad. I let the player’s entourage know that we are not in for him, we have not made an offer. We have neither the means nor the interest in bringing him in. I wish him the best. It is not because he does not have quality, but because we don’t have the capacity and we are looking for a different profile.”

Does this now open up a move to Brighton?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Think it is actually spelt Aubameyang. And he might be out of our league.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here