Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Time for Parliamentary change ?

What do you think we should do ?

• Build a new Parliament with buttons

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • Pay Billions so we can carry on queuing for the Lobbies

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I'm sorry I don't understand the question

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COVID OR BREXIT

Did did you see the MPs trying to queue up, maintaining social distancing, to take hours to try and carry out a single vote today ?

Isn't it about time (given the huge amount of work that needs doing on the palace of Westminster) that we moved Parliament into a new building where we could vote done in a manner actually reflecting the 20th (let alone 21st Century) and not go through this daily farce of going through the lobbies to get the business of Britain done. You can push a button FFS and get on with the next issue.

How much have they quoted to get all the work done while Parliament sits. Build them a new Hove Town Hall type building and move them out.

Personally, I think Parliament should be moved somewhere up north, then see which of the t***ts want to represent me, when they are based in Preston :lolol:

But, back to reality. should we give the Palace of Westminster back to the people as a museum of how politics used to be done and get a new Parliament Building ?

3 options, It really couldn't be any easier

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Did did you see the MPs trying to queue up, maintaining social distancing, to take hours to try and carry out a single vote today ?

Isn't it about time (given the huge amount of work that needs doing on the palace of Westminster) that we moved Parliament into a new building where we could votes done in a manner reflecting the 20th (let alone 21st Century) and not go through this daily farce of going through the lobbies to get the business of Britain done. You can push a button FFS and get on with the next issue.

How much have they quoted to get the work done while Parliament sits ?

Personally, I think Parliament should be moved somewhere up north, then see which of the t***ts want to represent me, when they are based in Preston :lolol:

But, back to reality. should we give the Palace of Westminster back to the people as a museum of how politics used to be done ?

Where's Oliver Cromwell when you need him :shrug:

D

Deleted member 2719

Being a thick tory that wants Brexit, I voted I don't understand the question.

Maybe a more intellectual leftie remainer could patronise me a bit and then I would feel so much more at home on this thread.

Feck I'm thick.

So so thick, I am so thick, I can't even comprehend how thick.

If only I was like Watford.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Being a thick tory that wants Brexit, I voted I don't understand the question.

Maybe a more intellectual leftie remainer could patronise me a bit and then I would feel so much more at home on this thread.

Feck I'm thick.

So so thick, I am so thick, I can't even comprehend how thick.

If only I was like Watford.

Well I figured putting that option for you and Ppf was far quicker than trying to explain it :lolol:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I guess the only argument against button voting is that some of them aren't the brightest and will push the wrong button.

With the walking through the lobbies they have to show what way they are voting, big if voting against party.

I do agree that a custom built, fit for purpose parliament building in Birmingham or something would be much cheaper and more sensible than renovating current building.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Isn't it about time (given the huge amount of work that needs doing on the palace of Westminster) that we moved Parliament into a new building where we could vote done in a manner actually reflecting the 20th (let alone 21st Century) and not go through this daily farce of going through the lobbies to get the business of Britain done. You can push a button FFS and get on with the next issue.

How much have they quoted to get all the work done while Parliament sits. Build them a new Hove Town Hall type building and move them out.

But, back to reality. should we give the Palace of Westminster back to the people as a museum of how politics used to be done and get a new Parliament Building ?

I'd turn it into a museum and put it in the Midlands close to one of the new HS2 terminals. Build a parliament building fit for purpose, take a look the Scottish one, the one in Brussels or Canberra Australia to name a few

£4B was it to restore Westminster, what a missed opportunity, instead we'll still be stuck in the dark ages...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I guess the only argument against button voting is that some of them aren't the brightest and will push the wrong button.

To be fair, the system they're using at the moment doesn't always mitigate that.

This afternoon, Stephen Crabb managed to go to the "No" side and then announced that he was voting "Aye". When this was pointed out to him, he moved to the "Aye" side and announced that he was voting "No".

Complicated stuff, obviously.

https://twitter.com/yelnats_eel/status/1267845677889052683?s=19

D

Deleted member 2719

JRM has asked for arms to be fitted between the seats and banning the use of silicone sprays on the leather.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Where's Oliver Cromwell when you need him :shrug:

ROFL - I think I just wet myself laughing.

In seriousness. Back to the Question.

No we must keep the Building as Parliament. It's a beautiful building.

All you need is one of those "Ask the Audience" voting pads they have on who wants to be a Millionaire.

Edit - Did you actually mean Guy Fawkes ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reduce social distaning to 1m, can be implemented immediatly.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
No - no - no!

The Palace of Westminster is of historic importance and will need just as much spent to preserve it whether or not the Commons sit there. Why therefore spend additional millions on a new Parliament?

As for whether or not the voting procedures are changed is different question all together. Certainly electronic voting would speed up the counting but personally I like the fact that our MPs have to stand up and be counted through the lobbies - there is no hiding place and abstentions are plain. In any case time really isn’t an issue considering the number of votes there actually are albeit we are in exceptional times at the moment.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have been arguing that the current Houses of Parliament and no longer fit for purpose and spending billions on trying to make it fit is money wasted instead I proposed that a hotel conference centre be built in the Midlands by one of the large hotel chains with living acomadation office space made exclusively available for each MP while in post I am quite keen to reduce MPs expences and not having any need to own a second home is a huge saving, I am also very keen Parliment should be moved away from London I have written to my MP and others but their vested interest in maintaining the status quo means it would need a revolution for it to happen

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Isn't it about time (given the huge amount of work that needs doing on the palace of Westminster) that we moved Parliament into a new building

Build them a new Hove Town Hall type building and move them out.

To be fair they already did this, when they built Portcullis House, at a cost of £235m

Portcullis-House-754381.jpg

Jan 30, 2008

zzzzzzzzzzz
Regards
DF

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very badly weighted options, so no way am I going to vote fro any of the alternatives offered.

No, I don't think we should spend a fortune building a new House of Parliament, so leave it as it is - a touch of tradition is fine. Covid-19 (which is relevant at this time) won't last for ever. Parliamentary democracy hopefully will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here