Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Italian health minister claims Johnson told his leader UK plan was ‘herd immunity"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Italian health minister claims Johnson told his leader UK plan was ‘herd immunity"

Nothing from Channel Four News yet but a couple of newspapers have picked this up.

Channel 4’s Dispatches spoke to the Italian health minister, Pierpaolo Sileri, who said this is what was said in a conversation between Johnson and Conte on 13 March. Sileri told the programme:

I spoke with Conte to tell President Conte that I’d tested positive [for coronavirus]. And he told me that he’d spoken with Boris Johnson and that they’d also talked about the situation in Italy. I remember he said, ‘He told me that he wants herd immunity’.

I remember that after hanging up, I said to myself that I hope Boris Johnson goes for a lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-5ed638158f084df971c8e2ac#liveblog-navigation

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We should've stuck with that plan.

Are you are a white male, 25-35, normal BMI, no underlying health issues by any chance ?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

No. I was vocal about supporting the herd immunity idea and I was wrong. Lockdown was the right action to take with, in my opinion, the wrong message given to the public. Probably a lack of clear vision and long term exit strategy as well, which fuelled the cynicism. But I feel I was wrong to oppose the lockdown action itself. I feel like mine was an emotional overreaction to the doom and gloom predictions (250k deaths) which was total fantasy. The relentless negativity got my back up but I can see now that lockdown was the right action to take. It wasn't perfectly implemented or enforced by any means and there are many questions about it, but isolation in itself was the right thing to do.

I don't criticise Boris Johnson for initially believing herd immunity was the right thing to do. And I won't criticise him for changing his opinion having listened to the expert opinions, that's what they were there for. Any person can make a mistake but what matters is what you do when you realise you have made one. I believe he's bungled it overall, but I feel it would be hypocritical to criticise his initial belief that herd immunity was the right way to go.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
No. I was vocal about supporting the herd immunity idea and I was wrong. Lockdown was the right action to take with, in my opinion, the wrong message given to the public. Probably a lack of clear vision and long term exit strategy as well, which fuelled the cynicism. But I feel I was wrong to oppose the lockdown action itself. I feel like mine was an emotional overreaction to the doom and gloom predictions (250k deaths) which was total fantasy. The relentless negativity got my back up but I can see now that lockdown was the right action to take. It wasn't perfectly implemented or enforced by any means and there are many questions about it, but isolation in itself was the right thing to do.

I don't criticise Boris Johnson for initially believing herd immunity was the right thing to do. And I won't criticise him for changing his opinion having listened to the expert opinions, that's what they were there for. Any person can make a mistake but what matters is what you do when you realise you have made one. I believe he's bungled it overall, but I feel it would be hypocritical to criticise his initial belief that herd immunity was the right way to go.

:clap::clap::clap:

Very honest and mature of you, well played...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The more important question is whether he really did change his mind or whether her simply went through the motions to avoid people taking matters into their own hands (and to avoid being shown up by the large number of businesses which took action prior to lockdown in sending their employees home, mine included).

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The more important question is whether he really did change his mind or whether her simply went through the motions to avoid people taking matters into their own hands (and to avoid being shown up by the large number of businesses which took action prior to lockdown in sending their employees home, mine included).

With all the current changes we are heading towards herd immunity 2.0 (as someone else coined) however the effects shouldn't be as bad as the very vulnerable are still shielding and it looks like the lockdown has had some positive effects on the numbers!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I suspect you've been so succinct knowing you'll stir up a bit of controversy simply leaving it there.

Leading up to 23 March Britain appeared to be following Sweden's approach of a light touch, no scientific evidence that lock down works, socially distance and do all the things you can, but carry on as best you can.

2 months or so on, UK had a strict lockdown and 602 deaths per 1 million people. Sweden on the other hand has 444 deaths per 1 million people.

Sweden went no lockdown, low tech and seemingly have done better than the UK. South Korea went hi-tech, limited lockdown and only 5 deaths per million. New Zealand of course went severe lockdown and also has 5 deaths per million.

I thought this as a decent article by Simon Jenkins.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
No, I think I’ve made my thoughts on this issue clear over the past few weeks.

This was a virus that targeted specific groups. They should’ve been our focus.

And we still have the collateral damage to come: death’s due to missed treatments, depression, and unemployment.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, I think I’ve made my thoughts on this issue clear over the past few weeks.

This was a virus that targeted specific groups. They should’ve been our focus.

And we still have the collateral damage to come: death’s due to missed treatments, depression, and unemployment.

Great in theory, but just "protecting specific groups" doesn't really work in practice.

Firstly, it assumes those people can exist without the help of the fit and healthy.

How could people in Care Homes be "protected" if the carers weren't protecting themselves ?

Secondly, it assumes that after catching a mild form of the virus others will build up a level of immunity. Nobody knows that yet not even the scientists.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Not sending people with Covid back into care homes would’ve been a good start.

Encouraging carers to live in where possible would’ve helped, too.

It wouldn’t have stopped all deaths, of course. That was never an option.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I suspect you've been so succinct knowing you'll stir up a bit of controversy simply leaving it there.

Leading up to 23 March Britain appeared to be following Sweden's approach of a light touch, no scientific evidence that lock down works, socially distance and do all the things you can, but carry on as best you can.

2 months or so on, UK had a strict lockdown and 602 deaths per 1 million people. Sweden on the other hand has 444 deaths per 1 million people.

Sweden went no lockdown, low tech and seemingly have done better than the UK. South Korea went hi-tech, limited lockdown and only 5 deaths per million. New Zealand of course went severe lockdown and also has 5 deaths per million.

I thought this as a decent article by Simon Jenkins.

I still struggle to understand how deaths per million is an index.

The biggest factor involved in the spread of the disease is the number of people who brought it into the country in the first place.

If five people brought it into Sweden and ten into the UK you would expect us to have twice the infection rate as the virus has twice the opportunity to spread.

I keep raising this as the best indicator and have had no argument to oppose it. Yet, I see (unless I'm mistaken) no research in this area.

Put it like this. You have two armies. One twice the size of the other. Both fight another army of indefinite number. Both are armed to same degree and of exactly the same training and capability.

It follows that the largest of the two would inflict the most damage per capita on the other army..

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I still struggle to understand how deaths per million is an index.

The biggest factor involved in the spread of the disease is the number of people who brought it into the country in the first place.

If five people brought it into Sweden and ten into the UK you would expect us to have twice the infection rate as the virus has twice the opportunity to spread.

I keep raising this as the best indicator and have had no argument to oppose it. Yet, I see (unless I'm mistaken) no research in this area.

Put it like this. You have two armies. One twice the size of the other. Both fight another army of indefinite number. Both are armed to same degree and of exactly the same training and capability.

It follows that the largest of the two would inflict the most damage per capita on the other army..

It's not that simple, because 1 person who has multiple contacts, visits many places etc. will have a far bigger impact than 10 people who all get through customs and go straight home, work from home and have little contact with anyone. This is where track and trace nailed it in South Korea, no 1 person was able to become a super spreader. If you don't track and trace 1 person can be as devastating as a hundred if their behaviour favours viral spread.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not that simple, because 1 person who has multiple contacts, visits many places etc. will have a far bigger impact than 10 people who all get through customs and go straight home, work from home and have little contact with anyone. This is where track and trace nailed it in South Korea, no 1 person was able to become a super spreader. If you don't track and trace 1 person can be as devastating as a hundred if their behaviour favours viral spread.

Yes, of course, there are variables. But I maintain that the principle would apply. Twice as many folk, all things being equal, would potentially cause more infection.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this isnt news. we know they favoured natural herd immunity approach, then when presented with model they changed policy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
this isnt news. we know they favoured natural herd immunity approach, then when presented with model they changed policy.
The fact it was confirmed to the Italian government very much is news.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here