Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Professor Karel Sikora

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A doyen of the good news thread, but there is qute a bit of debate about whether this very positive professor knows his stuff or is a government stooge - at least on Twitter. I've created this thread to debate specifically that to avoid a binfest on the good news thread.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A doyen of the good news thread, but there is qute a bit of debate about whether this very positive professor knows his stuff or is a government stooge - at least on Twitter. I've created this thread to debate specifically that to avoid a binfest on the good news thread.

Anyone that isn’t doom and gloom gets shot down at the moment

Some people seem to want more death

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karol_Sikora

Seems quite the character.

Karol Sikora claimed to be a Professor at Imperial College London but the college denied this and was seeking legal action in 2009 [43]

I can confirm that Karol Sikora is not on the staff at Imperial and does not hold the title of honorary professor of oncology. This individual has been warned before by the college for making claims that he is employed by us, or associated with us. His views are very certainly not the views of the college.

— Prof Sir Roy Anderson, Rector of the Imperial College London

Also https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16544108

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
He's certainly got a colourful past :lol:

I guess he's providing a positive voice which many find encouraging and others will find infuriating, hence the Twitter fights. Someone needs to point out to the Twitterati that cases and deaths are falling though. I can't imagine following Piers Morgan for more than about 30 seconds without having to scream into a pillow.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im afraid "things might be ok now" doesnt sell so much. people want doom then the relief from "no doom, but it almost was, wasnt it?"

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

It is Karol.

I know I shouldn't go there, but there is a definite parallel with Prof Minford on Brexit. Find someone who says something that agrees with your outlook on life and then demand everyone else shows due deference to a PROFESSOR and interprets what he says as the FACTS end of debate. I hope it isn't taking the analogy too far, but he seems to also appeal to a similar audience.

My problem as such is more how people interpret and quote him, rather than necessarily what he is saying. No one person has all the answers, least of all people who are twisting what the "experts" say to fit their own argument.

There are so many contradictions here. I get that to some people there seems to be too many doomsayers and yes numbers are falling. However you only need to see a quick tweet showing UK deaths versus Western Europe in the last couple of days, to understand the reason why others are not satisfied we are where we should be.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It is Karol.

I know I shouldn't go there, but there is a definite parallel with Prof Minford on Brexit. Find someone who says something that agrees with your outlook on life and then demand everyone else shows due deference to a PROFESSOR and interprets what he says as the FACTS end of debate. I hope it isn't taking the analogy too far, but he seems to also appeal to a similar audience.

My problem as such is more how people interpret and quote him, rather than necessarily what he is saying. No one person has all the answers, least of all people who are twisting what the "experts" say to fit their own argument.

There are so many contradictions here. I get that to some people there seems to be too many doomsayers and yes numbers are falling. However you only need to see a quick tweet showing UK deaths versus Western Europe in the last couple of days, to understand the reason why others are not satisfied we are where we should be.

Is he any more or less qualified than Piers Morgan?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Scientists disagree all the time, for every Karel Sikora there is one with another viewpoint. All qualified but coming to different conclusions.

I've tended to ignore him to be honest, his "colorful past" is a understatement and he does appear to be loving the attention.

He has a column now in the Daily Express. Fortunately, there are are LOTS of scientist to listen to.

And of course Matt Le Tissier.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Although I agree with your previous post, Sikora's title and area of expertise suggests that he's at least familiar with the scientific method (and the debates surrounding it).
I'm no fan of either of them, but both seem to be popular. I'm not sure why either are so readily invoked to consider CV19.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Although I agree with your previous post, Sikora's title and area of expertise suggests that he's at least familiar with the scientific method (and the debates surrounding it).
I'm no fan of either of them, but both seem to be popular. I'm not sure why either are so readily invoked to consider CV19.

I knew I would end up biting. One is a highly qualified academic, the other a highly qualified journalist. Both roles are important, one to advice government on the science, the other to hold them to account for their actions. I am not overly fond of either, but both have a job to do.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I knew I would end up biting. One is a highly qualified academic, the other a highly qualified journalist. Both roles are important, one to advice government on the science, the other to hold them to account for their actions. I am not overly fond of either, but both have a job to do.

You and I are back in full agreement. Could we also agree that despite both being highly qualified in their field, they're both a bunch of charlatans?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It is Karol.

Interesting thought.

I'll view this professor with a large degree of skepticism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here