Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No crowds - advantage away side

D

Deleted member 2719

Good point, Mouldy. But the old West Stand used to moan about a lot more than CW!
Okay i can't comment much on those west stand boys as I only went in their once! North west occasionally, but south, east and North mainly.

I miss the Goldstone and all those wonderful fans, different breed back then.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
On a similar theme I've been thinking about whether our style of play will benefit us once we start playing again.

It's based on ball possession and slowly wearing down the opposition. Bearing in mind our opponents won't be match fit for the first four or so games will these allow us to go on and win games in the last 20 minutes or so?

We've seen plenty of times players come off the bench under Potter and have a big impact on the match, something that is at least in part down to the relative fatigue of the opposition playing the majority of the game without the ball. So in theory if that happened against match fit teams then it should happen even more against unfit teams, even with factoring in our own lack of match fitness.

Maybe. Five subs per team would likely negate all that though.

Its possible there will be less pressing by the opposition, which might help us...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It becomes a pure footballing contest, where the best players in the PL will shine home or away.

I fully expect Citeh to chalk up every remaining fixture as a win, with some of the other traditional top 6, Wolves and Leicester, doing similar.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Its possible there will be less pressing by the opposition, which might help us...

Is that a given? I thought it was just one of several ideas mooted by the press. I didn't realise it was an actual policy. If it is, then yes, I guess the five subs would possibly negate it.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Okay i can't comment much on those west stand boys as I only went in their once! North west occasionally, but south, east and North mainly.

I miss the Goldstone and all those wonderful fans, different breed back then.

The chicken run always had its fair share of moaners.

I think a proportion of fans at all clubs like to moan. Those who go to away games seem to be generally more supportive. The team might miss them in the away games?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Although we obviously are a gazillion miles from the best squad in the league, what we do have is a good depth at our standard. There may be other bottom third teams with a good first team but not such a depth, so more subs may suit us.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Although we obviously are a gazillion miles from the best squad in the league, what we do have is a good depth at our standard. There may be other bottom third teams with a good first team but not such a depth, so more subs may suit us.
We also have the 3rd best U23 side in the country, only behind Chelsea and Leicester in the league.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Ok...so are you suggesting that the North Stand is made up of too many disparate groups and if they ' unified ' there would be more of a wall of sound as opposed to pockets, here and there? If so, why is there not more unity? ( Too many chiefs and not enough indians? )

IMO it's not the groups of singers that is the problem, it's the ones between them who have no intention of singing. I suspect that these people are there due to it being the cheapest (sic) part of the ground as opposed to it being the liveliest.

D

Deleted member 2719

The chicken run always had its fair share of moaners.

I think a proportion of fans at all clubs like to moan. Those who go to away games seem to be generally more supportive. The team might miss them in the away games?

I agree Potter and his team need to make sure the atmosphere affects us LESS than anyone else.

At least the refs shouldn't swing so much in favour of the 50,000+ crowds that are not there!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
IMO it's not the groups of singers that is the problem, it's the ones between them who have no intention of singing. I suspect that these people are there due to it being the cheapest (sic) part of the ground as opposed to it being the liveliest.

No, that's nonsense. I'm sure I've read on here many times that the North Stand is full of wonderful singers who learnt their trade on their daddy's shoulders at The Goldstone and after a belly full of Harveys sing like a Welsh choir to the exclusion of all the rest of the ground who listen in hushed awe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No advantage either way IMHO. It's basically shirts v skins. An armchair fan might like to go with the money, but I've seen Pogba look distinctly ordinaire any time he's ever been at the Amex. Only players I ever saw live up to the hype were Eden Hazard and Ginger Kev DeBruyne

Coutinho gave a brilliant exhibition of football, in a destruction of Hughton’s team. Whilst Willian loves playing us, he always outclassed his Albion opponents, Jota of Wolves and Stains Redmond too.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That's how it appears, but yes I do feel it would be improved by unity.

As to why, no idea, not my area of the stadium.

It is my area of the stadium and yes, it is down to unity. Too many egos in the North Stand wanting to be the "leader". That's how we often end up with two, and sometimes three songs being sung at the same time.

There is also still a significant minority in the North who have no interest in providing vocal support to the team at all. You could argue that they shouldn't be in the North Stand but the argument you get back is "they were the cheapest seats"

It's a shambles but it has been that way for at least the past half dozen seasons and I have no idea how to improve it unless or until we have unallocated safe standing so all those who want to sing can congregate together. The biggest ego would then no doubt emerge as the "leader".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here