Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fortess Goldstone - 1975-79

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
These were my formative years on the East Terrace, before I transitioned to the North at age 16. My recollection was that we just needed to turn up and the opposition crumbled, firstly under Peter Taylor and then under Mullers in the charge for the top flight. So I thought I'd check out our actual League record at the Goldstone in the League in the four seasons leading up to the Glorious Promotion:

Played 88
Won 68
Drew 14
Lost 6

Goals For 208
Against 61

To only lose 6 home games across 4 seasons is quite phenomenal! Tribute to the team but also to the Goldstone crowd which were at their best under the old North roof and with singers in the South too.

Anyone have specific memories of how the crowd helped maintain that incredible home record?

PG

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone else find it decidedly scary that folks have somehow managed to retain that total football recall. Me? Can't even recall more than about three games this 2019-20 season. And two of those were purely due to near-miraculous Ali J goals

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Good point about having ‘two home ends’, must have been quite intimidating for opposition players. Have to remember that we were not playing top sides on a regular basis. In that era we were the big club compared to most of our opposition. Great home record though.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Anyone else find it decidedly scary that folks have somehow managed to retain that total football recall. Me? Can't even recall more than about three games this 2019-20 season. And two of those were purely due to near-miraculous Ali J goals

I do read my old programmes quite regularly

But yes I remember a lot of that era

I can recall every FA Cup Final between 71-85
Couldn't name one from 00-18

Hereford 4-2,you must remember that?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
These were my formative years on the East Terrace, before I transitioned to the North at age 16. My recollection was that we just needed to turn up and the opposition crumbled, firstly under Peter Taylor and then under Mullers in the charge for the top flight. So I thought I'd check out our actual League record at the Goldstone in the League in the four seasons leading up to the Glorious Promotion:

Played 88
Won 68
Drew 14
Lost 6

Goals For 208
Against 61

To only lose 6 home games across 4 seasons is quite phenomenal! Tribute to the team but also to the Goldstone crowd which were at their best under the old North roof and with singers in the South too.

Anyone have specific memories of how the crowd helped maintain that incredible home record?

PG

My memories are the same as yours, and what a great feeling it was to go to the Goldstone not wondering if we were going to win but just how many goals we were going to win by. I said on the thread about the game against Palace, that was shown on The Big Match revisited, we were as good as I remember it wasn't just rose tinted glasses, happy happy days indeed.
We played good skillful attacking football, possession with intent not in our own half just to stop the opposition from scoring. And that, to me, is a very big factor in how the crowd helped us maintain that great record, they were being given something to cheer about week after week. There were a few slip ups along the way but the period that you mention was the happiest time watching the Albion for me.
:albion::albion:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good point about having ‘two home ends’, must have been quite intimidating for opposition players. Have to remember that we were not playing top sides on a regular basis. In that era we were the big club compared to most of our opposition. Great home record though.
By definition we weren't playing the top clubs. Nevertheless, we beat at home:
Sheffield Wednesday
Spurs
Sunderland
Newcastle
Sheffield Utd
Blackburn
Leicester
Burnley
Preston
Fulham
Stoke
Cardiff
Portsmouth
Palace
All of which would claim to be 'bigger' clubs than us at the time.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I was only young then and hardly remember the games themselves at all, but great nights with Wardy scoring hat-tricks and the atmosphere, my mum would let me go with my mates as I could walk home after the games imagine letting a 10 year old do that now?

The noise to a 10 year old was incredible and I loved it.

The Amex has and probably never will approach that level, the age of the crowd, the design of the ground, all seater and the lower levels of drunkeness amongst the crowd all contribute to that.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Derby & Ipswich during this period too

The league Cup games? Didn't Peter Grummitt make a brilliant penalty save at the South Stand end in the Ipswich game?

Derby game was one of those games. So tightly packed in the North Stand that night; hardly room to breathe. The only other two games I remember being so closely packed were the Boxing Day game and Wardy's international debut against Norway (U23s) when the legend took the ball home.

Happy days. Great memories.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
By definition we weren't playing the top clubs. Nevertheless, we beat at home:
Sheffield Wednesday
Spurs
Sunderland
Newcastle
Sheffield Utd
Blackburn
Leicester
Burnley
Preston
Fulham
Stoke
Cardiff
Portsmouth
Palace
All of which would claim to be 'bigger' clubs than us at the time.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

And a lot of others who were not (I have left out the Bristol, Portsmouth and Ipswich’s and the like)......

Rotherham, Chester, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Bury, Southend, Hereford, Aldershot, Colchester, Mansfield, Halifax, Peterborough, Shrewsbury, Grimsby, Swindon, Oxford, York, Walsall, Gillingham, Northampton, Lincoln, Post Vale, Cambridge, Hull, Luton, Orient etc etc

It was a great time, and a very good record, but The Goldstone in that era would have been a tough place for clubs like those to expect to get a result at.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It always seemed to me that if we won the toss we played towards the South stand first half and then second half playing towards the north the excitement steadily grew until the last half hour with the crowd singing Attack ... Attack.. Attack Attack Attack over and over it was relentless pressure on the players from both teams which almost always resulted in a goal or two

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
The league Cup games? Didn't Peter Grummitt make a brilliant penalty save at the South Stand end in the Ipswich game?

Derby game was one of those games. So tightly packed in the North Stand that night; hardly room to breathe. The only other two games I remember being so closely packed were the Boxing Day game and Wardy's international debut against Norway (U23s) when the legend took the ball home.

Happy days. Great memories.

I was in the South stand for both games,don't recall the penalty,but remember the North being absolutely rammed,thinking my 2 older brothers were in there somewhere,jealous or what!

The Derby game,Charlie George clean through from the kick off,but PG pulled off a great save,then Wardy scoring in the North seconds later,unbelievable!

Boxing Day was heaving for the 3-0 palace game,must look up the gate for that one

Pompey 4-0 night game

The Spurs 3-1

We were a good attacking side back then

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here