Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fortess Goldstone - 1975-79

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Great memories on this thread!

I missed some of the classic games in the 76/77 season, because living in the rural East Sussex wilds, midweek matches were difficult to get to. So that included the Derby game and the Walsall 7-0. Had to make do with the brief updates every 15 minutes on Radio Brighton! The only midweek game I remember going to that season was the Sheffield Weds promotion match. Given a lift by a friend's dad, who had relatives living somewhere up past the Greyhound Stadium. We went back there after the match for drinks at their house. They didn't go, but said the noise from the crowd was the loudest they'd ever heard.

The only Saturday game I actually missed was, unbelievably, the 7-2 v York. Had to go to a family birthday. I knew it was going to be on Match of the Day, so tried to do a 'Likely Lads' and avoid the score. But by brother told me there'd been nine goals! My head was spinning the whole evening - had we won 9-0, lost 5-4?

The Goldstone truly was a fortress in those days. Bumped into a random Brighton fan about six months ago, talking about the fluctuating fortunes of the club, and whether we would stay up this season, and we both agreed that whatever happens in the future "we will always have the 70s". It was a magical time to be an Albion fan. My first game was January 1976 - and, as others have said, supporting them during those years pretty much guaranteed that you'd be a fan for the rest of your life.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
According to the Albion programme for the FA Cup match against the Tigers in January 1985, Bremner played in the return fixture at Boothferry Park but not at the Goldstone:-

View attachment 124392

I was one of the 4545 at Hull that day.

Terrible pitch if I remember, train station at the ground. Seagull Special took us there.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Great memories on this thread!

I missed some of the classic games in the 76/77 season, because living in the rural East Sussex wilds, midweek matches were difficult to get to. So that included the Derby game and the Walsall 7-0. Had to make do with the brief updates every 15 minutes on Radio Brighton! The only midweek game I remember going to that season was the Sheffield Weds promotion match. Given a lift by a friend's dad, who had relatives living somewhere up past the Greyhound Stadium. We went back there after the match for drinks at their house. They didn't go, but said the noise from the crowd was the loudest they'd ever heard.

The only Saturday game I actually missed was, unbelievably, the 7-2 v York. Had to go to a family birthday. I knew it was going to be on Match of the Day, so tried to do a 'Likely Lads' and avoid the score. But by brother told me there'd been nine goals! My head was spinning the whole evening - had we won 9-0, lost 5-4?

The Goldstone truly was a fortress in those days. Bumped into a random Brighton fan about six months ago, talking about the fluctuating fortunes of the club, and whether we would stay up this season, and we both agreed that whatever happens in the future "we will always have the 70s". It was a magical time to be an Albion fan. My first game was January 1976 - and, as others have said, supporting them during those years pretty much guaranteed that you'd be a fan for the rest of your life.

As you say, some great memories.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It was something like that yes

Charlie George ripped through the Brighton defence
One on one with Grumitt,only one winner there
PG threw the ball out to Gerry Fell
Who went down the wing like Ballyregan Bob
Perfect cross for Wardy to tuck it away
In front of the North Stand
Attendance 33,601 the highest home gate at home I attended

Ballyregan Bob [emoji23][emoji23][emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was something like that yes

PG threw the ball out to Gerry Fell
Who went down the wing like Ballyregan Bob

He's often a forgotten player but Fell was a bit of a speedster - he wasn't in the same league as Dave Armstrong or Izzy but he had some real wheels on him

I always thought he was a bit under-rated. He always put a shift in and scored some decent goals for us

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
The period you are discussing was a great time to be an Albion fan but prior to that , if the Albion were going well, big crowds would turn up at the Goldstone and cheer the lads on.

I remember as a young teenager standing in the chicken run and the North Stand won us a crucial game. I looked it up , it was Rotherham on a Wednesday night in our promotion year of 1971/72 and the score was 1-1 with a few minutes left. Their goalie was getting more and more nervous and poorer and poorer with his goal kicks due to the North stand barracking. He finally panicked and played a short hospital ball to their left back right in front of us who lost the ball , it was whipped in and Kenny Beamish slammed in the winner from 5 yards out. Great memory and I've always remembered it as you don't often see an opposing player so clearly rattled by the crowd.:albion2:

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
He's often a forgotten player but Fell was a bit of a speedster - he wasn't in the same league as Dave Armstrong or Izzy but he had some real wheels on him

I always thought he was a bit under-rated. He always put a shift in and scored some decent goals for us

As a cricket nut, you'll be aware that his brother played for Notts and later Lincs. I met him at a cricket coaching course and of course we talked about Gerry.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As a cricket nut, you'll be aware that his brother played for Notts and later Lincs. I met him at a cricket coaching course and of course we talked about Gerry.

Was Mark Fell his brother? I never knew that - they were from roughly the same area but I didn't put two and two together:dunce:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I hope everyone enjoying this thread has read the excellent' Bloody Southerners' by Spencer Vignes - an excellent read, the last couple of chapters covering the 'fortress' Goldstone years.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I was in the South stand for both games,don't recall the penalty,but remember the North being absolutely rammed,thinking my 2 older brothers were in there somewhere,jealous or what!

The Derby game,Charlie George clean through from the kick off,but PG pulled off a great save,then Wardy scoring in the North seconds later,unbelievable!

Boxing Day was heaving for the 3-0 palace game,must look up the gate for that one

Pompey 4-0 night game

The Spurs 3-1

We were a good attacking side back then

Brill wasnt it ! often getting results better than youd wished for , with hardly ever a bump !

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Brian Horton said it was the best save he'd ever seen

Grummitt made some great saves , as did his successor Graham Moseley ,the best of which was from John Tudors downward header in front of south stand v Newcastle ,FA Cup 3rd round which kept us in the cup, and was very similar to Banks save v Brazil 1970

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Grummitt made some great saves , as did his successor Graham Moseley ,the best of which was from John Tudors downward header in front of south stand v Newcastle ,FA Cup 3rd round which kept us in the cup, and was very similar to Banks save v Brazil 1970

Yes Moseley was a fine goalkeeper, doesn't get the plaudits he deserves really

Our recent keepers Kuszczak,Stockdale and Ryan have all been a little overrated in my view

None of those 3 are any better than Steele & Moseley

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Mansfield fans Got slapped in the south west terrace and fled to the south stand so I was told ????
Regards
DF

I was standing right by that incident in the South West. The men who made life uncomfortable for the Mansfield fans must have been in their 20s at the time. If you were part of that, it means that you must now be in your 60s. Is that right?

Incidentally, I remember one of the said Brighton fans trying to get past me to get at the Mansfield fans. He politely said "excuse me, mate" and then steamed into them. Aren't people funny things?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here