Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton hoping to join with West Brom and Burton in bid to trademark the word 'Albion'

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Think of all the clubs who might seek to trademark the word: "United".

No single club can claim ownership because it's too common in the sports world (but not, say, in the airline industry).

Similarly, a pub business couldn't trademark "The Red Lion", but Bozza could trademark the "North Stand Chat Arms" once opened. (To be clear: this is a fictional example)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No single club can claim ownership because it's too common in the sports world (but not, say, in the airline industry).

Similarly, a pub business couldn't trademark "The Red Lion", but Bozza could trademark the "North Stand Chat Arms" once opened. (To be clear: this is a fictional example)

But how would that effect my pet Guinea Pig 'North Stand Chat Arms' will Bozza come and take it away?

I've only dipped in and out of this thread.
Each time I think Wozza's got this covered then 10 minutes later some peanut is wondering why nobody has the copyright on 'oxygen'.

If only it were unbelievable.

As an aside John Oliver finished Sunday's show with a brief segment on how UFC goes about their trademarks.

All basic stuff - come on people Americans can understand this.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry, but this suggests you don't know anything about trademarks.

Again (!), the club is not claiming ownership of the word 'Albion'. That's not how trademarks work.

It is protecting the use of the word 'Albion' around its business interests - ie sport (and related themes).

I looked up the likely trademark class: It's:

Class 41 (Services) : Education and entertainment services, shows, sporting events, training

And probably:

Class 25 (Goods) : Clothing, footwear and headwear

If granted a trademark, it would prevent, for example, a dodgy company launching a series of 'Albion soccer schools' across Sussex or a market trader producing knock-off sportswear with the Albion name.

Any multi-million pound business would be expected to protect its name (and reputation).

I do not agree and find it overbearing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

The North Stand Chat Arms? Now you’re talking.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
cert---cpt_gray-small.png

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry, but this suggests you don't know anything about trademarks.

Again (!), the club is not claiming ownership of the word 'Albion'. That's not how trademarks work.

It is protecting the use of the word 'Albion' around its business interests - ie sport (and related themes).

I looked up the likely trademark class: It's:

Class 41 (Services) : Education and entertainment services, shows, sporting events, training

And probably:

Class 25 (Goods) : Clothing, footwear and headwear

If granted a trademark, it would prevent, for example, a dodgy company launching a series of 'Albion soccer schools' across Sussex or a market trader producing knock-off sportswear with the Albion name.

Any multi-million pound business would be expected to protect its name (and reputation).

Does this mean someone could trademark the name 'Picaninny Smiles' for a brand of clothing etc?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here