Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton hoping to join with West Brom and Burton in bid to trademark the word 'Albion'

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/31/brighton-join-forces-west-brom-burton-bid-trademark-word-albion/

As this is behind the Daily Telegraph paywall, I'll just share the opening part of the article.......

Brighton are making an ambitious bid to trademark the word ‘Albion’ in a move designed to protect supporters against fake merchandise.

The Premier League team will submit an application to the Intellectual Property Office and are hoping to join forces with West Brom and Burton to reinforce their hopes of copyrighting the word.

It is a move similar to a bid made by Liverpool last year, who failed to trademark the city’s name after their request was rejected in September due to its “geographical significance”.

However, Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur were both successful in their brand protection applications in recent years and Brighton are hopeful of trademarking ‘Albion’ in the next few months.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I don't agree with that. 'Albion' is not a sporting term.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tough on Stirling and Albion Rovers then. If Blackburn, Bristol and Doncaster get together in the same way, that's Albion Rovers well and truly screwed..........................

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I thought "albion" meant white cliffs.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In other news, Partick Thistle have applied to trademark the word "nil".

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My consultancy is called Albion Economics Ltd and there's another fan who recently set up Albion Planning. It works as the name for Great Britain (I do a number of commissions in Canada, for example) and if I've missed out on work for a Palace fan then all the better.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Pathetic, Barber stooping even lower than usual

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here