Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] The perils of English Elephant Jokes Abroad

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Much as I love an obscure joke that no-one understands because it's distinctively English and I'm on the other side of the world, imagine the frustration at explaining the following side-splitter to a colonial colleague:

Me: What's black, steaming, and comes out of Cowes backwards?

Colonial: Blank stare. Cow Poop?

Me: Ha ha. No. The Isle of Wight Ferry.

Colonial: Blank Stare. The what?

Me: The Isle of Wight Ferry.

Colonial: What the **** is the Hilerwite Very?

Me: It's a ferry, a boat, that starts in Cowes and ends up on the Isle of Wight.

Colonial: Why is it black?

Me: The ferry is painted black.

Colonial: What do Cowes got to do with it ? What's the Hilerwite?

Trust me it was a looong conversation that was seriously not worth the wind-up in the first place. But more fool me, I persisted with another side-splitter.

Me: Man goes into the butchers shop and asks the butcher for a pound of steak and kiddley. Butcher says, do you mean a pound of steak and kidney? Man says, I said steak and kiddley, diddle I?

Colonial: What's kiddley? and later, Why would you want steak AND kiddley? (Side note: Steak and Kidney is not popular in this manor, squire).

The whole process is worse than presenting a Joke du Jour to NSC. And plus I'm wasting valuable tanning time. Cah, bloomin' Colonials...I fear my rib-ticklin' days are clearly over in this benighted neck of the woods.

:moo:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Obviously not trained operators if it starts in the Cowes harbour and ends up on the island itself.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well, it's a round-trip, innit?

Maybe that accounts for the blank stares.

Never was good with punch lines.

I blame a surfeit of eels...and mai tais, m'lud :cheers::mad:

Could I have a return ticket please?

Yes sir, certainly. Where to?

Well back here of course.

(Spike Milligan, I think)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Lots of jokes don’t translate that well in other countries but I think the example given by the OP could perhaps just maybe have been a tiny weeny bit better .,

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Much as I love an obscure joke that no-one understands because it's distinctively English and I'm on the other side of the world, imagine the frustration at explaining the following side-splitter to a colonial colleague:

Me: It's a ferry, a boat, that starts in Cowes and ends up on the Isle of Wight.

Trust me it was a looong conversation that was seriously not worth the wind-up in the first place. But more fool me, I persisted with another side-splitter.

Me: Man goes into the butchers shop and asks the butcher for a pound of steak and kiddley. Butcher says, do you mean a pound of steak and kidney? Man says, I said steak and kiddley, diddle I?

Colonial: What's kiddley? and later, Why would you want steak AND kiddley? (Side note: Steak and Kidney is not popular in this manor, squire).

The whole process is worse than presenting a Joke du Jour to NSC. And plus I'm wasting valuable tanning time. Cah, bloomin' Colonials...I fear my rib-ticklin' days are clearly over in this benighted neck of the woods.

I think your 'colonial' friend is taking this all too literally. Sometimes, with a joke, you just need to go along for the Ryde.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Going by the feedback on YouTube videos, this to Americans is the funniest thing ever:

Nobody:

Literally nobody:

Somebody: Hold my beer.

Every video about film or pop culture seems to have multiple variants on this and have plenty of thumbs up, so they must think it’s brilliant. No idea what it means though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

So... are you going to tell us that side-splitter or not? ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes, but did you explain that during August it's customary to tell that first joke for an entire WEEK? :moo:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just before lockdown I did the school drop off and one of the other dads asked me what year my child was in? 2020 I replied you weirdo!

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I dont understand, the ferry I last used was white? I dont understand the joke.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Did you explain about Blackgang Chine first for a bit of helpful context?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Your colonial colleague has clearly drunk too many old mai tais, Ken. You wouldn't have gone wrong with some New port.

But since you are patience personified, I can imagine neither a Vent nor reaction from you here.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Vet: I'm afraid I'm going to have to put your dog down.

What, just for having a cold?

No, cos he's heavy.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Midget goes to the Doctor.

"I'm fed up with being small"

You'll just have to learn to be a little patient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here