Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Palace v Brighton Famous 5 pen game

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Cheers Al, crazy game and my very first Palace v Albion visit to Selhurst Park!! What a great introduction to the rivalry.

Things that took me back were, only 2 subs, all the fenced in stands, and the match graphics seemingly produced on a ZX Spectrum :lolol:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Still don't know how that was a red for Trusson even now! Both trying to play the ball and McGoldrick has both feet off the ground and his right leg is even higher than Trusson's!! Refs a homer i tell ya!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was there for that one, in the south east corner, remember at half time Brighton fans lobbing bits of concrete from the terrace into the home fans who use to congregate on that raised walkway [emoji23]

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wrote about this for The Albion Mag 10 but I think that was the issue that never got published as the last one I can see online was no 9. [MENTION=2139]Soul Finger[/MENTION] if this exists online anywhere please send me the link and I'll edit out the full article. But assuming it was lost in cyberspace.....

Only At Home’s Classic Aways – Palace, March 1989

It will have escaped almost no one’s notice that our promotion to the Premier League, whilst meaning lots of other things like more money than you could possibly imagine and no weekend home games in November, also meant renewing game with “them up the road”. There have been some memorable meetings in the past for both teams. No one reading this will want to remember the 5-0 drubbing at Selhurst or the playoff defeat, changing room shenanigans and all. Nor will many Palace fans wish to recall the St Patrick’s Day massacre or the night Paul McShane scored the only goal to give us a win up there. And then there was the time I watched our 3-2 defeat at Withdean in a Scottish chip shop in Taipei, Taiwan with a Palace fan and a Glasgow Rangers fan. But none of these were as strange as the five penalties affair.

Let me take you back to March 1989. A Palace side that contained Mark Bright, Ian Wright and Alan Pardew, among others, were pushing for promotion. We’d beaten them at the Goldstone earlier in the season, however and so eighteen year old me and my mate A were quite bullish on the train up to Nigel Land. Sure they had Wright and Bright but we had Nelson and Bremner. And, er, Mike Trusson.

No tickets needed in those days. Just pile on to the dilapidated terraces until they could take no more (soberingly, this was a month before Hillsborough) and sing. Me, A, a couple of thousand others who didn’t mind the very real danger of a fight breaking out at any minute, and an inflatable banana. That’s how it was.

These days, with football transmitted in to our front rooms seemingly non-stop, everyone knows the big referees. There are some, of course, who make it all about themselves, Andre Mariner apparently refers to himself as Dre. Craig Pawson has that weird aversion to overhead kicks. Hoops supports Bournemouth. And then there’s Mike Dean. But back in the day I never used to check the ref’s name in the programme, let alone know who he was. Yet this referee’s name has never left me – Kelvin Morton. He could give Dean a lesson in showing off.

When you’re playing against your local rivals – especially when they’re having a good season and have a front two like Wright and Bright – you do not want to make a bad start. We made about as poor a start as possible. The game had barely started and we were still singing strong-worded songs of rivalry as I looked up to see the afore-mentioned Bright clean through. How he missed I’ll never know. Then it was time for Kelvin to take centre stage.

Out came the cards. First a yellow for Dean Wilkins, never the strongest tackler as evidenced by the sobriquet “Wendy Wilkins”. Then, worse. Morton sent off Brighton’s Mike Trusson for sneezing, or possibly looking at him funny. We were down to ten men. And, in the midst of all that, Wright put them ahead with an incredible dipping shot from almost out on the touchline. One man down and one goal down early doors.

Then it started to get really weird. Palace were awarded a penalty for being a nice South London team with Ian Wright in them and Mark Bright stuck it away. Two nil down now and A and I were not so bullish. Then two more Palace penalties. As I recall these were for actual challenges, but I was already watching through my fingers. Incredibly Bright stepped up again for the first and John Keeley saved the spot kick. We all know from school that you can’t take again once you’ve missed so Wright had the second. He hit the post. Somehow we made it to half time only two down.

Morton had clearly not had enough attention in the first half since the second half began with him awarding Brighton a penalty because he liked Kevin Bremner’s hair. Curbishley stepped up to take and slammed it in the corner. We slammed down the terraces in a surge. Could we come back?

No we couldn’t but one last piece of hilarity remained. Morton gave the game’s fifth penalty, penalising Keith “Keith, Keith” Dublin for wearing a yellow away shirt and Palace inexplicably handed the ball to their right back. It entered the Holmsdale at pace, where it remains today, forlornly dressed in black, with its own little drum.

2-1 then. 2-1 to them (spit). The usual argy bargy outside. But this was a derby game that many others still talk of too. The game that had five penalties, three of them missed. I was there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
**** off

anyone with a palace avater should be banned

get a grip mods

Palace fans who are open about who they are and behave are tolerated. This isn't the BBS and there's no away end. Little Al has posted here on and off for ages.

Snidey ones who pretend to be local like [MENTION=37938]Hu_Camus[/MENTION] can do one though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I was there for that one, in the south east corner, remember at half time Brighton fans lobbing bits of concrete from the terrace into the home fans who use to congregate on that raised walkway [emoji23]

I thought they were the bread rolls on sale???

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
For anyone that wants the extended hour long highlights I have uploaded to youtube. Not sure why the link starts half way through, but you can click back to the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11h3rCjlwTk&t=1477s

Thank you, I will watch that later. I was there and just going by memory the Ian Wright goal was pretty special and the most ridiculous penalty award was actually our one. I can remember the crowd being smaller than I expected, home and away.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I remember they came out and re painted the penalty spot at half time, the little tinkers ( complete ****s)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
palace fan

palace avatar

posting a palace win ???

like I said,**** off!

now,if you'd posted the paddy's day massacre :thumbsup:

Hmm, you seem a bit of a pillock mate?

I was there that day and the events cemented my "hatred" of Palace as an impressionable 16 yo. We lost but oh the drama, which after all is what football is about.

Thanks for posting it, I'm enjoying the nostalgia. Have always remembered the name Kelvin Morton, although tbf all the Palace penalties were stonewall.

Agree that I'm amazed that there was plenty of space in the stands and on the terraces, I don't remember it so but I guess football just wasn't as popular then.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Hmm, you seem a bit of a pillock mate?

I was there that day and the events cemented my "hatred" of Palace as an impressionable 16 yo. We lost but oh the drama, which after all is what football is about.

Thanks for posting it, I'm enjoying the nostalgia. Have always remembered the name Kelvin Morton, although tbf all the Palace penalties were stonewall.

Agree that I'm amazed that there was plenty of space in the stands and on the terraces, I don't remember it so but I guess football just wasn't as popular then.

your be giving him a thumbsup next :facepalm:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I've never seen extended highlights, just the goals, so maybe I will. Without current football as I said I'm enjoying the nostalgia of the day. If you've a problem with that then you're either a child or a bit thick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here