Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Cuilfail Tunnel, crows and Coronavirus!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The Highways Agency found over 200 dead crows in the Cuilfail Tunnel approach recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Coronavirus. A Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was NOT Coronavirus.

The cause of death appeared to be from vehicular impacts. However, during analysis it was noted that varying colours of paints appeared on the ...bird's beaks and claws. By analysing these paint residues it was found that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with lorrys, while only 2% were killed by cars.

The Agency then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills. The Ornithological Behaviourist quickly concluded that when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow to warn of danger.

They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "Lorry". :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Stand by for a [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] smartarse one liner.....

(I only posted that because I can't think of one myself)

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I can understand the Highways Agency concern:

Scientific name: Corvus

Higher classification: Corvidae

#thebatsareinocent :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Highways Agency found over 200 dead crows in the Cuilfail Tunnel approach recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Coronavirus. A Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was NOT Coronavirus.
QUOTE]
More likely it was Corvidae-19......................

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

The cause of death appeared to be from vehicular impacts. However, during analysis it was noted that varying colours of paints appeared on the ...bird's beaks and claws. By analysing these paint residues it was found that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with lorrys, while only 2% were killed by cars.

The Agency then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills. The Ornithological Behaviourist quickly concluded that when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow to warn of danger.

They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "Lorry". :lolol:

Stone a crows’s

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
“But you accept that there is an increased risk of crow/lorry collision?”

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That level of deaths is nothing to crow about.

Jul 7, 2003
This is clearly made up. The A26 and Cuilfail Tunnel are maintained by ESCC, not the Highways Agency so there is no reason for the Highways Agency to get involved in this. Also, if this were true, it is likely that the Environment Agency would also be involved in any investigation given the proximity to the river.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here