Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Catch up with Baldock and Goldson

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
That was excellent. Sam Baldock really was a fantastic striker and really appreciate his honesty about how he believes he should have been given a chance in the Prem. Would have loved to have seen a 4-4-2 with him and Muzz in the big time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That was excellent. Sam Baldock really was a fantastic striker and really appreciate his honesty about how he believes he should have been given a chance in the Prem. Would have loved to have seen a 4-4-2 with him and Muzz in the big time.

Four goals a season, really, a fantastic striker? Even Glenn Murray has managed 12 a season. I don’t doubt his efforts in training, and his work in the medical room, but he just was never a great player for us.

Jimmy Grimble

If you can’t see that Baldock was a fantastic striker for us in 16/17 then I suggest a drive to Barnard Castle.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
If you can’t see that Baldock was a fantastic striker for us in 16/17 then I suggest a drive to Barnard Castle.

Not only was he our poorest striker that season, one of our midfielders scored more than him. Strikers should be judged on goals, end of story, that’s their job. Baldock sadly never Lived up to his promise during his time with us, sure injury paid a part in it, and he had golden moments, but he was never up to the task IMO during his time with us.

Jimmy Grimble

Not only was he our poorest striker that season, one of our midfielders scored more than him. Strikers should be judged on goals, end of story, that’s their job. Baldock sadly never Lived up to his promise during his time with us, sure injury paid a part in it, and he had golden moments, but he was never up to the task IMO during his time with us.

You think during our promotion season Baldock was never up to the task?

Blimey.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

This is, to put it bluntly, nonsense. We were a much better side that season when Baldock played. The fact he gets injured a lot was the only issue I had with him, and I agree he deserved a chance in the Prem, but his fitness issues just seem to be too common.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Sorry but, he was absolutely key in our promotion team. Pulled defences all over the place and gave Murray or Hemed the space to score. We were most toothless when hemed and murray played together despite being our two top scorers

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Based on your theory or way of judging strikers Micky Quinn was a better player than Emile Heskey? Both good players for differing reasons but Emile was widely recognised by mangers and fellow professionals as vastly underrated and international class.

Micky Quinn was considered more of a journeyman striker, albeit a bloody good one.

Back to Baldock. He was great for us in our promotion season but not convinced he was Premier League quality.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
This is, to put it bluntly, nonsense. We were a much better side that season when Baldock played. The fact he gets injured a lot was the only issue I had with him, and I agree he deserved a chance in the Prem, but his fitness issues just seem to be too common.

Sorry but, he was absolutely key in our promotion team. Pulled defences all over the place and gave Murray or Hemed the space to score. We were most toothless when hemed and murray played together despite being our two top scorers

Not a striker then. The post I quoted said he was an excellent striker, a strikers job is to score goals, he just didn’t do it enough during his time with us. As a winger, he did well, as a provider he contributed so much more than as a striker,

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not a striker then. The post I quoted said he was an excellent striker, a strikers job is to score goals, he just didn’t do it enough during his time with us. As a winger, he did well, as a provider he contributed so much more than as a striker,

I don't want to join those ganging up on you, but Baldock was instrumental in our Championship side being at its attacking best, goals or no goals.

I'll concede your point on the word striker, so perhaps Sam Baldock wasn't a striker. If that's the case, Bobby Zamora was also not a striker at West Ham, Fulham and QPR. He was, like Sam Baldock, an occasionally-scoring forward. Both were very effective in those roles.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great chat with these two, reliving their time with us and that promotion season !!

Enjoy !!

Many thanks for that. I listened all the way through. Two lovely boys, and clearly not a bad word to be said about little ole Brighton.

Not sure about the misreable bar steward doing the interviewing though ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No i didn’t HWT, but it’s all on hold now until next year. So will tap into your local knowledge again once I get the green light.

Cheers

Bugger. I will retrieve it if I can and save it for future reference. ATB!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

This.

Baldock played as a No.10 alongside a No.9 of Murray or Hemed. His job was to create space and assists for his partner, goals on top of that were a much appreciated bonus.

Murray/Baldock was one of the best partnerships the Albion has ever seen, as close to Shearer/Sheringham as we’ve ever got.

He was a great player for us as a forward not a striker.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This.

Baldock played as a No.10 alongside a No.9 of Murray or Hemed. His job was to create space and assists for his partner, goals on top of that were a much appreciated bonus.

Murray/Baldock was one of the best partnerships the Albion has ever seen, as close to Shearer/Sheringham as we’ve ever got.

He was a great player for us as a forward not a striker.

Beat me to the SaS comparison. Also some similarity to Nelson and Bremner.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Good video. .. I always say we should have kept hold of Goldson....

It looks like he might be on the move this summer. I've seen Leeds, Fulham, West Brom and even West Ham are interested. The only fee I have seen is Rangers value him at £6m. I think we have a sell on fee aswell/

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Baldock was a bright player, possibly in the Sheringham mould if not the same quality.

The goals at Barnsley and MASSIVE were great times.

I liked him, should possibly have been given a bash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here