Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League optimistic of fans returning next season

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"No one knows when matches will move away from the behind-closed-doors model and it is right to have contingency plans in place, but there is optimism at the Premier League and at clubs that we will see fans back in the stadiums next season and it may happen on a phased basis," Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said.

More here, including the likelihood of VAR remaining in use this season and the Summer's transfer window >>> https://www.skysports.com/football/...ters-optimistic-of-fans-returning-next-season

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When Richard Masters said "Getting it back on our TV screens for people to enjoy will hopefully give the whole country a boost..." did he actually mean to say "my bank balance" instead of "the whole country." ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When Richard Masters said "Getting it back on our TV screens for people to enjoy will hopefully give the whole country a boost..." did he actually mean to say "my bank balance" instead of "the whole country." ?

It’s really, really unfair, to imply that the rush to get the PL back on, is all about money.

It’s clearly about distracting the public and media, from the government’s present difficulties, as well.

el punal

You’re probably right, but what he should have said is “Getting it back so that all the loyal fans of every club can once again enjoy seeing their team play in packed stadiums.”

I, for one, will not get a boost by watching football in an empty stadium and shown on whatever TV channel is selected. Soulless entertainment doesn’t even come close.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I wonder what the plans are for the phased return. It is impossible at this stage to know the demand for seats but I wonder how they would decide which seats to make available.

I feel sorry for Bournemouth. With restricted seats The Vitality Stadium will make Withdean seem like Wembley.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The Premier League costs thousands of millions to run.

If you want it, you have to accept that it needs to generate an income.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
By 'phased', I guess that can't be one stand at a time, as you'll still get crowds of people sitting together. Or will it be odd seat numbers/rows one week, evens the next?!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I would say most the mutant-faced fellows of the north stand have enough bacteria within them, and their strange growths and facial hair, to battle away most viri. The fancy dans of the west stand will be more prone to endangering infection, i reckon, so i'd keep them away for a while. Although i like the idea of increasing the fan numbers by 100 people per match, for a while, beginning with some of our famed ultras. They'd be clubbing away at the back whilst chanting without end, and surely the next 100 would join in come the next match and join forces. By week 318 would would have a whole army of rampaging sluggers and warblers.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Interesting. Phased approach could mean any number of things. I suspect they will start with something like 10-20% stadium capacity and then gradually ramp it up?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

In normal times that's a given.

The question at the moment is "do you want it"? The Bundesliga hasn't exactly set the world alight. It's terrible without fans. I can just about stomach Leverkusen games because I want them to win but I'm already off the neutral ones.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Agreed.

We can make our ire known about the money men of football, but we still get excited when we hear the club are linked to a £30m striker.

The hardest hypocrisy to be aware of is our own.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Interesting. Phased approach could mean any number of things. I suspect they will start with something like 10-20% stadium capacity and then gradually ramp it up?

I saw a news piece on the phased re-opening of Shanghai Disneyland, which is quite a good description of the PL when you think about it. They started with 30 % capacity. You weren’t even able to hug Micky so I guess the same will apply for us.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I have a gut feeling that the ticket office refunds dept are going to have a busy season in 20/21, if the first matches are in empty stadiums...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
By 'phased', I guess that can't be one stand at a time, as you'll still get crowds of people sitting together. Or will it be odd seat numbers/rows one week, evens the next?!
Odd seats and rows wouldn't work for families or dependents who go to a game together. For instance, I wouldn't pay top dollar for the privilege of not going with my son's or brother.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else feel like they’d rather wait an extra 3-6 months or whatever, to be back at full capacity?

Can imagine a third full Amex with social distancing would make for an eerie and synthetic atmosphere.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well we may not even be in the PL next year, so any plans are somewhat contingent for now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here