Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those that are shielding

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well I know from chatting on here there are a few in the same boat as my family, as in being on the very vunerable list, so being asked by the government to stay indoors for the foreseeable future.

A question was asked tonight on the daily bulletin, which didn't really get a full answer, so how do you see this going for us shielders?

My feeling is the government will start at the bottom of the list, so the least most vulnerable, and will gradually release people from their enforced imprisonment and see what happens in terms of hospital numbers and deaths.

What do you fellow shielders, and others, think?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well I know from chatting on here there are a few in the same boat as my family, as in being on the very vunerable list, so being asked by the government to stay indoors for the foreseeable future.

A question was asked tonight on the daily bulletin, which didn't really get a full answer, so how do you see this going for us shielders?

My feeling is the government will start at the bottom of the list, so the least most vulnerable, and will gradually release people from their enforced imprisonment and see what happens in terms of hospital numbers and deaths.

What do you fellow shielders, and others, think?

Although on a human level it's horrible for the shielders and shielded, given everything we know about the virus, it's difficult to argue with the logic.

I don't think too many would advocate that those who are low risk should have to act in the same way as those at high risk through the duration of the crisis out of a sense of solidarity.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Although on a human level it's horrible for the shielders and shielded, given everything we know about the virus, it's difficult to argue with the logic.

I don't think too many would advocate that those who are low risk should have to act in the same way as those at high risk through the duration of the crisis out of a sense of solidarity.

I appreciate that, which wasn't my question. I wanted to know how people thought the government would progress with slowly releasing the shielded! Would it be, released at your own risk, or would there be some back-up for the shielded, some safety net?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I appreciate that, which wasn't my question. I wanted to know how people thought the government would progress with slowly releasing the shielded! Would it be, released at your own risk, or would there be some back-up for the shielded, some safety net?

My guess is that the government won't want to give specific guidance on releasing the vulnerable from being shielded as they know they'll be on the hook for the deaths which will occur.

I can't envisage what the safety net would be?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
My guess is that the government won't want to give specific guidance on releasing the vulnerable from being shielded as they know they'll be on the hook for the deaths which will occur.

I can't envisage what the safety net would be?

I was thinking a financial safety net, where people can’t go back to work, or won’t feel safe going back to work, will they be looked after?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I was thinking a financial safety net, where people can’t go back to work, or won’t feel safe going back to work, will they be looked after?

A friend of mine has been fortunate enough to get a job with the civil service during the lockdown, one of the form that had to be signed was a confirmation she was not in one of the defined vulnerable groups as they would no be allowed to be hired.
Dont think this answers what you are looking for specifically but i can only guess those who should remain protecting the vulnerable and not permitted to work will rremain within the scope of financial measures.
Not sure its something you can have a definitive about until an announcement.

Best of luck, i noticed from a few of your posts you have circumstances which you rightly have concerns about

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A friend of mine has been fortunate enough to get a job with the civil service during the lockdown, one of the form that had to be signed was a confirmation she was not in one of the defined vulnerable groups as they would no be allowed to be hired.
Dont think this answers what you are looking for specifically but i can only guess those who should remain protecting the vulnerable and not permitted to work will rremain within the scope of financial measures.
Not sure its something you can have a definitive about until an announcement.

Best of luck, i noticed from a few of your posts you have circumstances which you rightly have concerns about

Thank you and yes our circumstances are a little out of the ordinary.

I am sure I can wait for government answers, but am still interested in knowing how others are coping with the uncertainty!

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Thank you and yes our circumstances are a little out of the ordinary.

I am sure I can wait for government answers, but am still interested in knowing how others are coping with the uncertainty!

Hello there Mr Wolf, Yes I did hear Bungles announcement and I think those shielding will be gradually forgotten and left to decide for themselves as to what risks to take.

My wife is a waspie and has no income herself until she reaches 66 (4 years) fortunately I have now reached state pension age and also have a modest company pension which we can manage on, though, since getting my oap I now have to pay income tax on ! Still, I have been able to get 10% of her tax allowance to offset £250 of tax annually from my liability. Here's hoping that by the time we have managed to put enough aside to take a holiday this B**stard virus may have relented or miraculously a vaccine has been developed.

Mrs golddene is starting to have cabin fever and its taking a lot of persuasion to convince her to continue isolation, (80 odd days in so far) with no contact apart from skype etc with our children and grand kids of which the youngest is now 3 (missed her birthday) and haven't seen her since the beginning of March which is hard to deal with as we had her stay with us every fortnight for a couple of days ever since she was old enough to leave her mum, difficult times here in the golddene towers, how are you all coping ? it must be very hard for yourselves especially the circumstances that you have buddy. wishing you all the best mate.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Hello there Mr Wolf, Yes I did hear Bungles announcement and I think those shielding will be gradually forgotten and left to decide for themselves as to what risks to take.

My wife is a waspie and has no income herself until she reaches 66 (4 years) fortunately I have now reached state pension age and also have a modest company pension which we can manage on, though, since getting my oap I now have to pay income tax on ! Still, I have been able to get 10% of her tax allowance to offset £250 of tax annually from my liability. Here's hoping that by the time we have managed to put enough aside to take a holiday this B**stard virus may have relented or miraculously a vaccine has been developed.

Mrs golddene is starting to have cabin fever and its taking a lot of persuasion to convince her to continue isolation, (80 odd days in so far) with no contact apart from skype etc with our children and grand kids of which the youngest is now 3 (missed her birthday) and haven't seen her since the beginning of March which is hard to deal with as we had her stay with us every fortnight for a couple of days ever since she was old enough to leave her mum, difficult times here in the golddene towers, how are you all coping ? it must be very hard for yourselves especially the circumstances that you have buddy. wishing you all the best mate.

Hi, glad to hear you are just about getting by, though it must be difficult for your wife, or for anyone who is fit and well enough to go out!

I made the decision, for our family, that we would all shield, certainly for the initial period until the end of June, but I have made enquiries with social services, little one’s nursery and our GP. The general consensus is do what you need to to keep your wife safe.

I just wonder what the government’s stance will be when I say the eldest grandchild can’t go back to her zero hours contract at a children’s nursery? Got a feeling they will say fine, but we will stop her Universal Credit payments!

We don’t need that money, but it will be interesting to see what the government’s economic stance is when it comes to the crunch!

Best of luck to you and your wife for the future.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My sister-in-law has just received a letter from the NHS telling her she is vulnerable, should be shielding, and must be furloughed and self-isolate until the end of June. We think it is one of the letters that were sent out many weeks ago to those most at risk, and has been delayed in the post.

Between the time she 'should' have received the letter, and has received it - she has been working flat-out in a care home and has recently tested negative.

Nonetheless her employers have had to furlough her. So, she's worked in a high-risk area all through the peak without catching it, and is now furloughed just as things are easing up!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I see today's announcement is that those that are shielding will be allowed out once a day (doesn't say how long for), with their immediate household.

I am not quite sure when the government says things are being done slowly, in baby steps, why everything seems to be happening at the same time and yet at the same time, several prominent members of the SAGE group are saying it's too soon!

What gives?

Slow baby steps, or headlong rush toward herd immunity...!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I see today's announcement is that those that are shielding will be allowed out once a day (doesn't say how long for), with their immediate household.

I am not quite sure when the government says things are being done slowly, in baby steps, why everything seems to be happening at the same time and yet at the same time, several prominent members of the SAGE group are saying it's too soon!

What gives?

Slow baby steps, or headlong rush toward herd immunity...!

Additionally those living alone are allowed out once a day to meet someone from another household this seems an enormous step to me

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Additionally those living alone are allowed out once a day to meet someone from another household this seems an enormous step to me

Is that enormously good or enormously bad?

I just don't get how all these changes are being made at the same time when daily infection rates are still so high at approx 8000 a day!

If the rates go up how are they going to know where the causes are as they have loosened too much all at the same time. Where is the scientific control?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Is that enormously good or enormously bad?

I just don't get how all these changes are being made at the same time when daily infection rates are still so high at approx 8000 a day!

If the rates go up how are they going to know where the causes are as they have loosened too much all at the same time. Where is the scientific control?

Time will tell whether it's good or bad. Dont really feel I can comment either way. Gut instinct is they are taking a massive gamble and there seems to be little logic to it

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm hoping it's not just a gamble a d has been based on good scientific data...

It is a mixture of both a

Bumbling idiot of a prime minister, who has lost control, authority and credibility and now has to loosen the strings to maintain that there is a semblance of control and some science.

Why not take a daily raincheck on events in your area and make your own mind up? For example there were zero new infections reported in West Sussex yesterday and some panic around the R level being above 1 in Brighton. The latter for me is variations against a low base and I would worry if the trend continued over 1-2 weeks.

Also bear in mind you don't have to head to Durdle Door in the middle of the day at the weekend. Take a walk early morning or late evening in a quiet place, the exercise will be beneficial.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I would not take advice from Boris, if you feel it is unsafe to meet people from another household, then don't. That simple.
Start Alert.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would not take advice from Boris, if you feel it is unsafe to meet people from another household, then don't. That simple.
Start Alert.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

That is my stance, as far as I can tell my wife is no less likely to catch the virus today then she was 10 weeks ago, just there may be a bed for her!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well, surprise surprise - Blood Cancer UK, the biggest charity for those with blood cancers, i.e. Leukemia , Lymphoma and Myeloma had not been consulted or told anything about the releasing of those currently shielding before the news struck this morning.

It appears this government have no intention of consulting anyone who may be affected by what is going on - we shall carry on shielding until the end of June, minimum, and talk to my wife's consultant to see what the current advice is medically, not that of the government who seem happy to lump everyone together, whatever their conditions!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1267111753479065600[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here