Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those that are shielding

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its it not compulsory, you can take a view what you want to do. do we really need dozens of departments and NGOs consulted for such change?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
its it not compulsory, you can take a view what you want to do. do we really need dozens of departments and NGOs consulted for such change?

And there you go dismiss the fears and concerns of over 2 million people in one paragraph!

Thanks for your empathy...! Are you helping make government policy as you appear to have the same level of concern for those that have been shielding for the last 10 weeks or more.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is my stance, as far as I can tell my wife is no less likely to catch the virus today then she was 10 weeks ago, just there may be a bed for her!

This is what I am picking up, the whole reversal of lockdown is getting quicker despite not seeing the effects of the lifting of restrictions yet. I thought this was meant to be carefully managed and the R no. and new cases no. were to be constantly under review with re-imposition of restrictions if there was any sign of things getting worse again ? We really have little idea of how safe we are in our local areas at the moment.

In the US they are seriously worried about a spike in Covid-19 infections in 14 days time as a result of the numerous George Floyd protests, here we are releasing stages of lockdown without waiting 14 days to review ! Crazy.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is what I am picking up, the whole reversal of lockdown is getting quicker despite not seeing the effects of the lifting of restrictions yet. I thought this was meant to be carefully managed and the R no. and new cases no. were to be constantly under review with re-imposition of restrictions if there was any sign of things getting worse again ? We really have little idea of how safe we are in our local areas at the moment.

In the US they are seriously worried about a spike in Covid-19 infections in 14 days time as a result of the numerous George Floyd protests, here we are releasing stages of lockdown without waiting 14 days to review ! Crazy.

Yes, for all the talk of phase 1, 2 & 3 and being guided by the science and the reducing numbers, we just appear to be careering headlong into herd immunity 2.0

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
And there you go dismiss the fears and concerns of over 2 million people in one paragraph!

Thanks for your empathy...! Are you helping make government policy as you appear to have the same level of concern for those that have been shielding for the last 10 weeks or more.

how or where have i dismissed any concerns? i have empathy for those stuck in doors for so long and pleased they may be able to see others.if you decide that risk is too great, thats your decision, there are millions who might like to see some family and this would be a welcomed change.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
how or where have i dismissed any concerns? i have empathy for those stuck in doors for so long and pleased they may be able to see others.if you decide that risk is too great, thats your decision, there are millions who might like to see some family and this would be a welcomed change.

But your tone with “it’s not compulsory” and “do we really need dozens of departments and NGOs consulted” didn’t sound very empathetic to me?

And yes, we will stay indoors until we have spoken to someone medical and not just Boris and his ever increasing bunch of clowns. As I have said, my wife is no less likely to die today than she was 10 weeks ago, if she contracts Covid-19 - the government can’t really take the stance of stay indoors, see no-one, do not pass go, to overnight, hey it’s fine, come in the water is lovely! Not at least without showing us some evidence...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...the government can’t really take the stance of stay indoors, see no-one, do not pass go, to overnight, hey it’s fine, come in the water is lovely! Not at least without showing us some evidence...

change from stay in doors see no one, to you can see someone from 2m away is not at all the same as its all fine. i trust those shielding to be sensible, thats all.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
change from stay in doors see no one, to you can see someone from 2m away is not at all the same as its all fine. i trust those shielding to be sensible, thats all.

Yes me too.

From those I have spoken to, and those I have seen interviewed on the TV the general consensus appears to be, no thanks I will wait a bit longer if it’s ok with you Mr. Johnson!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yes me too.

From those I have spoken to, and those I have seen interviewed on the TV the general consensus appears to be, no thanks I will wait a bit longer if it’s ok with you Mr. Johnson!

I think it has to come down to a personal decision and personal financial circumstances. My family are still trying to be ultra cautious, my daughter moved out and now does our shopping once a week. We main maintain social distancing with her. We have now had 2 socially distanced visits with grand children , the first in 5 months or so.

You may remember my comments in your other thread that my wife had lymphoma. She had some very heavy duty treatment early this year as chemo did not work, the new treatment involved T-cell modification and replacement and her immune system has been reduced. This was all very scary stuff which we stood together with.

She also now has had COVID and ended up in ICU in the Royal Marsden. The isolation is soul destroying.

She may or may not be immune to COVID now but in absence of any concrete information and because she has been further weakened self isolation is the way forward for a long while yet.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think it has to come down to a personal decision and personal financial circumstances. My family are still trying to be ultra cautious, my daughter moved out and now does our shopping once a week. We main maintain social distancing with her. We have now had 2 socially distanced visits with grand children , the first in 5 months or so.

You may remember my comments in your other thread that my wife had lymphoma. She had some very heavy duty treatment early this year as chemo did not work, the new treatment involved T-cell modification and replacement and her immune system has been reduced. This was all very scary stuff which we stood together with.

She also now has had COVID and ended up in ICU in the Royal Marsden. The isolation is soul destroying.

She may or may not be immune to COVID now but in absence of any concrete information and because she has been further weakened self isolation is the way forward for a long while yet.

The grandkid bit is our biggest problem. My daughter moved up to Kent just before Christmas and despite my wife being in and out of hospital we had loads of visits from her and her little one.

He doesn't understand why he can't now come into our house and play with our little one, instead we talk to them from our upstairs window. It is heartbreaking.

Can I ask, do you know why you're wife's chemo didn't work?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Can I ask, do you know why you're wife's chemo didn't work?

We don't know why the chemo did not work, the only comment was 'these things happen' though less often with lymphoma than other cancers. The point i would make( from my own logic and reading rather than medical advice) is that they don't have an understanding of what causes Lymphoma. So assuming there is an 'active issue' causing the Lymphoma e.g. some sort of virus , then killing the Lymphoma is not addressing root problem. Maybe i am looking at it too simply or misunderstanding things. My wife had 2 lots of chemo treatment, at the end of January this year she had CAR-T and the lump on her neck has disappeared. How is your wife?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We don't know why the chemo did not work, the only comment was 'these things happen' though less often with lymphoma than other cancers. The point i would make( from my own logic and reading rather than medical advice) is that they don't have an understanding of what causes Lymphoma. So assuming there is an 'active issue' causing the Lymphoma e.g. some sort of virus , then killing the Lymphoma is not addressing root problem. Maybe i am looking at it too simply or misunderstanding things. My wife had 2 lots of chemo treatment, at the end of January this year she had CAR-T and the lump on her neck has disappeared. How is your wife?

My wife has finished her 6 main cycles of chemotherapy and has a PET scan on July 1st. From there it is likely to be radiotherapy to reduce the tumour in her side and then 2 years of maintenance chemo.

Things were all going well (as it can on chemo), then this bloody virus came along and put a ****ing great fly in the ointment!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So the 2.2 million shielders will get some news on the situation "soon" says the Health Minister. Considering they have had 12 weeks to concoct the next phase for shielders I think the government could do the the common decency of being a little more precise

Or is it just a case they need someone within cabinet to finish a pack of cigarettes so they can write the next policy on the back of it?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Telegraph reported yesterday that shielding will end 31 July.

e6c24a58f9b6e92f210484a328e224cc.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Telegraph reported yesterday that shielding will end 31 July.

e6c24a58f9b6e92f210484a328e224cc.jpg

A lady my wife has got to know through their chemo sessions has been told by her consultant to continue shielding until the end of July, so that gives some credence to the Telegraph story.

The nuance (gotta love that word) from tonight's Q&A appeared to indicate there may be some "more highly vulnerable" who may be asked to continue to shield past that date.

Only time will tell when we eventually get the letter, which is coming "soon", explaining my wife's position! Looks likely we are staying in for at least another 6 weeks though...

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I am told by H M Govt. that I am "vulnerable" although I don't really feel it.. So I too have been stuck indoors or the garden for the duration. So they say that it will end in a few weeks? Well, I will still be cautious. Frankly I won"t feel safe in public until we are virtually Covid free or I have had a vaccination

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I am told by H M Govt. that I am "vulnerable" although I don't really feel it.. So I too have been stuck indoors or the garden for the duration. So they say that it will end in a few weeks? Well, I will still be cautious. Frankly I won"t feel safe in public until we are virtually Covid free or I have had a vaccination

Yep, they have put the fear of imminent death into my wife's head, can't see that changing overnight!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well that announcement has posed more questions than answers in my household...

My wife is still on the very vulnerable list, even when shielding is "paused" (ha ha, they mean ends) on August 1st.

While I am sure the advice may be tweaked over the coming weeks it is only ever designed as one size fits all advice and doesn't take into account individual circumstances.

Apparently from August 1st there will be no need for her to socially distance with people within our own household, as long as those people stringently follow the social distancing rules. But what happens if they can't? We have an autistic 4 year old due to start school in September and two teenage grandchildren, both have left college and both have learning difficulties, none of these three will be able to stringently follow social distancing and hygiene rules... So where does that leave us?

I think my GP will be getting a call very soon...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well that announcement has posed more questions than answers in my household...

My wife is still on the very vulnerable list, even when shielding is "paused" (ha ha, they mean ends) on August 1st.

While I am sure the advice may be tweaked over the coming weeks it is only ever designed as one size fits all advice and doesn't take into account individual circumstances.

Apparently from August 1st there will be no need for her to socially distance with people within our own household, as long as those people stringently follow the social distancing rules. But what happens if they can't? We have an autistic 4 year old due to start school in September and two teenage grandchildren, both have left college and both have learning difficulties, none of these three will be able to stringently follow social distancing and hygiene rules... So where does that leave us?

I think my GP will be getting a call very soon...

Havnt got a clue on that one...but all the best to you and the GP :D

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here