Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Big Tree Dilemma

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Dear NSC, I'd really appreciate some advice on this. I've searched for related threads but none seem to cover it...

My garden (west facing) backs on to a school playing field. At the boundary line, in the school field, there are 3 large trees. They were there when we moved in a few years ago but they've grown huge. They deprive me of sunshine from about 3pm onwards, and overhang in to my garden by approx 3 metres, dumping leaves & twigs galore every autumn.

Is it the school's responsibility to cut them back if I complain? If not and it's my responsibility, am I permitted to drop the trimmed branches in to the school field for them to dispose of?

I've got a ladder, saw, life insurance, and I'm happy to give it a go myself. Being a tight fisted northerner I'd really like to avoid parting with cash...

Any guidance much appreciated.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Our house also backs onto a school and even though they have (thankfully) fenced the perimeter in recent years leaving the trees on the residents' side, the school still takes full responsibility for maintaining the trees. I'd start by having a friendly chat with the school caretaker.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
First thing to do is speak to the neighbour and ask them to get them cut (even if there's a TPO the council should still let you cut/pollard them).

If they don't do anything then you are allowed to cut off anything that overhangs your garden and you should put the branches/fruit back onto thier land.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
One of the first things I would do is explore is the possibility of any TPOs in force.

If there are, the nobody can do anything without permission from the authorities.

Thanks for this. Can I ask what a TPO is please?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Our house also backs onto a school and even though they have (thankfully) fenced the perimeter in recent years leaving the trees on the residents' side, the school still takes full responsibility for maintaining the trees. I'd start by having a friendly chat with the school caretaker.

Thanks for this. I sent the headteacher a friendly enquiry today but maybe an off the record chat with the caretaker over the fence would get me somewhere.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
School's responsibility as the trees are on their land. You are entitled to cut anything overhanging the boundary and legally you should actually put any cuttings back on their side.

Personally I'd just ask them to deal with it and if they don't then complain to the LEA / Council / Academy organisation etc

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dear NSC, I'd really appreciate some advice on this. I've searched for related threads but none seem to cover it...

My garden (west facing) backs on to a school playing field. At the boundary line, in the school field, there are 3 large trees. They were there when we moved in a few years ago but they've grown huge. They deprive me of sunshine from about 3pm onwards, and overhang in to my garden by approx 3 metres, dumping leaves & twigs galore every autumn.

Is it the school's responsibility to cut them back if I complain? If not and it's my responsibility, am I permitted to drop the trimmed branches in to the school field for them to dispose of?

I've got a ladder, saw, life insurance, and I'm happy to give it a go myself. Being a tight fisted northerner I'd really like to avoid parting with cash...

Any guidance much appreciated.

First thing to do is not to complain, but simply write to the school in a friendly way outlining that the trees overhang your property, and that the height causes a lot of overshadowing. It may well be a budget item that comes out of the local authority budget (if an LA school) rather than the school's individual budget. I would labour the point about whether the trees are completely safe and you're worried about larger falling branches damaging property etc. You may get a result and the school see the benefits of getting this done as they probably have to deal with all the dropping twigs and leaves on their side too.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Do you know what trees they are? Are any of them Elms? If you live in Shoreham, I believe this is part of the Dutch Elm Disease Control Area. You will need to contact the local Council as they will be very protective towards them and even if you got permission from the school, they won't want them touched by unqualified contractors. Then there's the prunings problem. It is an offence to transport Elm wood, and you can't leave it hanging around unless you de-bark it all.
If they're not Elms, you obviously won't have this problem.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
TPO’s - don’t touch them, it’s a criminal offence, I know folk convicted for that.

If not, if you have no intention of friendly dialogue with the school, in law you can reduce branches overhanging your land ... but then you have to leave the timber with the school. An ancient aspect, I assume.

But the trees can end up looking awful if they’ve had unbalanced reducing on just one side.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Deffo talk to the school, it might be as simple as they haven't noticed how big they've got and just need it pointing out. Don't worry too much about TPOs (if any) I just had to get permission to cut back trees in my garden and the conservation officer was very reasonable.

*edit* it should be their responsibility, I just did it for my neighbours.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Tree Preservation Order - your local council website should have a map of them

Mid Sussex for example : https://www.midsussex.gov.uk/planning-building/trees-and-hedgerows/tree-preservation-order-tpo-map/

We have a big tree with TPO, overhanging our fence and successfully applied to the council to "have the crown raised", ie. chop the lower branches to allow more light into the garden. No chance of reducing the height, though. We did pay a tree surgeon, as it was a big job, but if wasn't expensive.

In the process, we discovered it was actually our tree - the fence was inside the property boundary.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Do you know what trees they are? Are any of them Elms? If you live in Shoreham, I believe this is part of the Dutch Elm Disease Control Area. You will need to contact the local Council as they will be very protective towards them and even if you got permission from the school, they won't want them touched by unqualified contractors. Then there's the prunings problem. It is an offence to transport Elm wood, and you can't leave it hanging around unless you de-bark it all.
If they're not Elms, you obviously won't have this problem.

Blimey I hadn't even considered that! I wouldn't know my elm from my elbow!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Thank you everyone for your kind advice.

I emailed the head teacher as advised and received an almost immediate and very friendly reply. She has asked the premises team to give me a call so that we can make a plan. Sounds positive. Really not sure why I was expecting a battle if I'm honest. You live 'n' learn!

Thanks again :cheers:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Got a great big hulking weeping willow over hanging my garden blocks all the sun. To be fair the neighbour did cut it right back to trunk and branches a couple of years ago but its worse than ever now with regrowth

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Got a great big hulking weeping willow over hanging my garden blocks all the sun. To be fair the neighbour did cut it right back to trunk and branches a couple of years ago but its worse than ever now with regrowth
The harder you prune, the more it grows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here