Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Big Tree Dilemma

0 Not allowed!
    Dear NSC, I'd really appreciate some advice on this. I've searched for related threads but none seem to cover it...

My garden (west facing) backs on to a school playing field. At the boundary line, in the school field, there are 3 large trees. They were there when we moved in a few years ago but they've grown huge. They deprive me of sunshine from about 3pm onwards, and overhang in to my garden by approx 3 metres, dumping leaves & twigs galore every autumn.

Is it the school's responsibility to cut them back if I complain? If not and it's my responsibility, am I permitted to drop the trimmed branches in to the school field for them to dispose of?

I've got a ladder, saw, life insurance, and I'm happy to give it a go myself. Being a tight fisted northerner I'd really like to avoid parting with cash...

Any guidance much appreciated.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      One of the first things I would do is explore is the possibility of any TPOs in force.

If there are, the nobody can do anything without permission from the authorities.

3 Not allowed!
      Our house also backs onto a school and even though they have (thankfully) fenced the perimeter in recent years leaving the trees on the residents' side, the school still takes full responsibility for maintaining the trees. I'd start by having a friendly chat with the school caretaker.
      That's just, like, your opinion man.
      Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      First thing to do is speak to the neighbour and ask them to get them cut (even if there's a TPO the council should still let you cut/pollard them).

If they don't do anything then you are allowed to cut off anything that overhangs your garden and you should put the branches/fruit back onto thier land.
      "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Is it PotG? View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      One of the first things I would do is explore is the possibility of any TPOs in force.

If there are, the nobody can do anything without permission from the authorities.
      Thanks for this. Can I ask what a TPO is please?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrovers View Post
      Thanks for this. Can I ask what a TPO is please?
      Tree Preservation Order - your local council website should have a map of them

Mid Sussex for example : https://www.midsussex.gov.uk/plannin...order-tpo-map/
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
      Our house also backs onto a school and even though they have (thankfully) fenced the perimeter in recent years leaving the trees on the residents' side, the school still takes full responsibility for maintaining the trees. I'd start by having a friendly chat with the school caretaker.
      Thanks for this. I sent the headteacher a friendly enquiry today but maybe an off the record chat with the caretaker over the fence would get me somewhere.
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      School's responsibility as the trees are on their land. You are entitled to cut anything overhanging the boundary and legally you should actually put any cuttings back on their side.

Personally I'd just ask them to deal with it and if they don't then complain to the LEA / Council / Academy organisation etc
      Last edited by Westdene Seagull; 28-05-2020 at 12:41.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      I would discuss situation with school rather then complain

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jonnyrovers View Post
      Dear NSC, I'd really appreciate some advice on this. I've searched for related threads but none seem to cover it...

My garden (west facing) backs on to a school playing field. At the boundary line, in the school field, there are 3 large trees. They were there when we moved in a few years ago but they've grown huge. They deprive me of sunshine from about 3pm onwards, and overhang in to my garden by approx 3 metres, dumping leaves & twigs galore every autumn.

Is it the school's responsibility to cut them back if I complain? If not and it's my responsibility, am I permitted to drop the trimmed branches in to the school field for them to dispose of?

I've got a ladder, saw, life insurance, and I'm happy to give it a go myself. Being a tight fisted northerner I'd really like to avoid parting with cash...

Any guidance much appreciated.
      First thing to do is not to complain, but simply write to the school in a friendly way outlining that the trees overhang your property, and that the height causes a lot of overshadowing. It may well be a budget item that comes out of the local authority budget (if an LA school) rather than the school's individual budget. I would labour the point about whether the trees are completely safe and you're worried about larger falling branches damaging property etc. You may get a result and the school see the benefits of getting this done as they probably have to deal with all the dropping twigs and leaves on their side too.