Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Return of football. Bothered?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
bunch of melts our fanbase sometimes isnt it.

If we were playing tonight, I'd be buzzing.

Football is as much about the social for me but be good when its back.

People slating the Bundesliga etc. Did they watch it before all this. I reckon if you know the teams inside out its a different watch all together.

Glad its coming back. Another step to normality

Great reply. Can't wait for it to start again, yes it will be a shadow of its former self but that's still better than nothing. Games are a long way off having crowds, maybe even a year or so at worst, so they've got to keep it going somehow.

For the first game back I reckon I'll do a zoom chat and a few beers with my usual crowd if we're still distancing, try and keep a bit of the match day experience. I might even give the missus a hi-viz and get her to take my bottle tops during the match!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
On the basis I tune in to watch U23 streams in near empty stadia, fair to say I’ll be watching the first team.

Was scrolling down to see if anyone would mention U23 matches. Loads of people saying they're not watching the matches due to no fans but U23 matches usually have only a handful of fans there and I quite like watching them. For that reason I reckon I'll be fine when PL comes back to empty stadiums.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Can I just suggest to those who don't want to watch, er don't? Not sure why thread after thread is full of people telling us why they don't want to watch football on a football forum? Nobody cares. Anymore than they care that I do want to. It's a long way from what we would want but at least its a game to see. If you don't feel its right, thats your prerogative but why feel the need to tell everyone else?

I will not be watching, Eastenders, Coronation St or Britain's Got Talent, any thread mentioning these programmes I may feel the need to repeat this statement :D I will also of course also have to provide chapter and verse as to why not...

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I've tried to watch some of the German football but gave up after a few minutes bored stiff. With the cardboard cut out crowds and virtual silence it was like watching a giant game of Subuteo. This season has gone, it's over as far as I'm concerned and should be until football can be played safely for all concerned, sorry Liverpool and all the other Massive teams there are bigger things at stake.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not bothered. It's summer, isn't it?

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
I'm 47 and Wolves are playing some of the best football ever in my life time and we are in Europe for the first time in 40 years. Even if it is just on TV, I can't wait for football to start again.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I have admitted I'm not bothered about football, probably for the rest of the year or until it's safe enough for supporters to attend games normally. But if I knew we were playing, for instance Arsenal in the first game back, behind closed doors, I would dearly want us to win. It wouldn't be in the same spirit as in the Premier league before Covid but I would want any Brighton team to win in any competition against any opposition, I just don't think football should have the continuity from this season under different rules and circumstances. I also understand there must be a point at which normality has to try to make a comeback. Sounds confused, I'm not too sure what I mean myself. Perhaps things are happening a little to quickly for me in these present circumstances.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can I just suggest to those who don't want to watch, er don't? Not sure why thread after thread is full of people telling us why they don't want to watch football on a football forum? Nobody cares. Anymore than they care that I do want to. It's a long way from what we would want but at least its a game to see. If you don't feel its right, thats your prerogative but why feel the need to tell everyone else?

I will not be watching, Eastenders, Coronation St or Britain's Got Talent, any thread mentioning these programmes I may feel the need to repeat this statement :D I will also of course also have to provide chapter and verse as to why not...

You care so little about this that you've replied. I am sorry for posting a thread about something, something that I haven't seen here as mostly I have looked at the coronavirus threads in this crisis. Can I suggest that if you don't like a thread, you don't rant about it? I don't post on world's hardest creature threads and myriads of others, that is how one shows one doesn't care.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not bothered. It's summer, isn't it?

This. More annoyed about missing cricket.

Which when it comes, even behind closed doors, won’t seem so out of place as it will be just like watching an away series in UAE etc.

I will follow our results of course but am I really that fussed to see it back given all of the context? No. I’m not.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I really miss the football, I miss meeting all my friends on the coach, I miss having a pint with friends and family, I miss the banter, I miss the Albion, I miss the Amex but I am happy not to have any of these things to keep people safe, the fact that the WFL has ended the season while the Premiership has not sends the message loud and clear that restarting this season is more to do with money than safety

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Have you not read the thread title, or have you misunderstood the purpose of the question mark?

A question was asked, so people answered it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I wasn't but now am for two reasons, I think.

1) Absence makes the heart grow fonder. It's been nearly three moths since the last game, that's about the same time as from the end of one season and the start of the next but we've done it with no football at all, no transfer speculation, signings, pre-season friendlies, nothing. That's long enough that I'm now definitely ready for some Albion action.

2) The club have done a fantastic job with their youtube channel. All the interviews, the withdean years video, the season reviews and the classic matches. I watched the Sheff Wednesday home game from the promtion season last night. 35 minutes of all action excitement. It was three years ago, I knew the result and what was going to happen but I was still grinning from ear to ear watching it. The club have kept me engaged and now I'm ready for some Albion action.

2.5) I watch all our games on DAZN anyway so not being in the stadium isn't that big a deal for me. The empty stands will look a bit weird but I'll get over that.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm not missing it at all really, just feels like an extended summer without major tournament to watch, although it was getting a bit nervy every week watching our drop in form. Perhaps the respite will do us all good.

I don't really know how I'll feel until I sit down to watch the first match.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I wonder if I am the only one who now things have eased up, is still not interested in the much vaunted return of Premier league football? Don't get me wrong, it is fantastic if they can start up again in that it means the virus is at the moment getting under control and I understand the financial reasons even if I resent them. It is just that I can't find anything within that says 'Oh great!'

I thought that maybe I would watch a few Bundesliga games, but haven't bothered as I couldn't bring myself to watch a league I am not usually interested in, with the added drawback of the 'fake' type conditions without fans. That leaves me thinking about our return. I really prefer the championship in any case so my response is not due to the fear of possible relegation.

The last couple of seasons have overall been dire at the Amex, with one or two exceptions. Perhaps I am thinking about the refund money for the three tickets I buy and considering whether going to the match adds much value to my life or even value for money? Petty little things like banning flasks and bottle tops have crept in and annoyed me, reducing my enjoyment somewhat. Trouble is, I genuinely love the Albion and can't and don't want to break the habit of the last 48 years.

I suppose, that after the horrors of Covid, I would just like a more normal summer that was free from football, I appreciate some will be diametrically opposed and accept that, but at the moment that is how I feel. Will things change once the Albion walk out onto the Amex again in June? I really don't know.

Until they walk out into an Amex full of fans I really couldn't give a rat's ass. Whole thing is tainted for at least the current season if not the next too as only being operated to appease the armchair fans and those of who actually make an effort..? Screwed over yet again.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm sorry, I know it's not a popular answer but I am looking forward to the return of the Premier League and more specifically, the return of BHAFC. I've watched them away at Cambridge or at home at Preistfield, so why wouldn't I be excited about watching them now, albeit on the box? I can't wait to see a Dunk block, a piece of skill from Trossard or a finish from Maupay. Watching On Our Way this weekend reinforced that, as did the Bayern game last night.

It'll be different but it's still football, still the Albion.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I genuinely hope that many people will have taken advantage of the break and found something more fulfilling in their lives. Whilst football is great for getting out the house, seeing some mates for an hour or so And enjoying the action, there are other things to do in life and don’t perhaps cost so much.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes.

I had a lovely and unprecedented (for me) two month break from all things Albion, Talkshite, SSN, evenings on 5live, and transfer gossip.

I would guess that I missed the sum total of zero. Just noise from PL leeches of one sort or another.

Now, I ready to go. 5live and TS have been very positive and informative over the last two or three weeks, refusing to allow miserablists and stirrers to define the narrative.

Looking forward to the matches now. The big question - can Potter turn a team that simply can’t win in 2020, into a winning outfit?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The only thing I miss is the pre-match pints in the Welly with my Dad and my friends.

Though I suspect that's because I miss them rather than it being anything to do with the football.

To be fair the football had become dire anyway, leading up to the lockdown I was enjoying the social aspect and disliking the football.

I'm not bothered at all about the return unless it coincides with the signing of 3 or 4 players who can improve the side significantly.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don't miss watching us get rumped, but I do miss the excitement and the atmosphere of match days - from the breakfast/lunch beforehand to the journey to the stadium and then the usual disappointment and frustration.

Couldn't give a toss about the Bundesliga or any other league, and have hardly watched any football related programmes since lockdown apart from the 'we're on our way' video on another thread. Knocky crying brought a lump to a grown man's throat I tell thee.. :down:

and I have to say, re the 'we're on our way' video, it was great to watch it AND...it was lovely to see all those great interviews with Mr Hughton, no disrespect to Mr Potter but I've missed Mr Hughton in some ways...yes, it was a promotion year, so easy to enjoy proceedings, nevertheless, a great all round video.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here