Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Return of football. Bothered?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wonder if I am the only one who now things have eased up, is still not interested in the much vaunted return of Premier league football? Don't get me wrong, it is fantastic if they can start up again in that it means the virus is at the moment getting under control and I understand the financial reasons even if I resent them. It is just that I can't find anything within that says 'Oh great!'

I thought that maybe I would watch a few Bundesliga games, but haven't bothered as I couldn't bring myself to watch a league I am not usually interested in, with the added drawback of the 'fake' type conditions without fans. That leaves me thinking about our return. I really prefer the championship in any case so my response is not due to the fear of possible relegation.

The last couple of seasons have overall been dire at the Amex, with one or two exceptions. Perhaps I am thinking about the refund money for the three tickets I buy and considering whether going to the match adds much value to my life or even value for money? Petty little things like banning flasks and bottle tops have crept in and annoyed me, reducing my enjoyment somewhat. Trouble is, I genuinely love the Albion and can't and don't want to break the habit of the last 48 years.

I suppose, that after the horrors of Covid, I would just like a more normal summer that was free from football, I appreciate some will be diametrically opposed and accept that, but at the moment that is how I feel. Will things change once the Albion walk out onto the Amex again in June? I really don't know.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wonder if I am the only one who now things have eased up, is still not interested in the much vaunted return of Premier league football? Don't get me wrong, it is fantastic if they can start up again in that it means the virus is at the moment getting under control and I understand the financial reasons even if I resent them. It is just that I can't find anything within that says 'Oh great!'

I thought that maybe I would watch a few Bundesliga games, but haven't bothered as I couldn't bring myself to watch a league I am not usually interested in, with the added drawback of the 'fake' type conditions without fans. That leaves me thinking about our return. I really prefer the championship in any case so my response is not due to the fear of possible relegation.

The last couple of seasons have overall been dire at the Amex, with one or two exceptions. Perhaps I am thinking about the refund money for the three tickets I buy and considering whether going to the match adds much value to my life or even value for money? Petty little things like banning flasks and bottle tops have crept in and annoyed me, reducing my enjoyment somewhat. Trouble is, I genuinely love the Albion and can't and don't want to break the habit of the last 48 years.

I suppose, that after the horrors of Covid, I would just like a more normal summer that was free from football, I appreciate some will be diametrically opposed and accept that, but at the moment that is how I feel. Will things change once the Albion walk out onto the Amex again in June? I really don't know.

I think the restart for me will be a bit of 'football lite' - nothing like the real thing, but something to watch and talk about at least. I'd probably have watched a couple of Bundesliga games but I cancelled my BT subscription at the start of lockdown. Agree the last couple of seasons have been lots of tedium with the occasional highlight, but I'm optimistic Potter and a young squad are destined to improve - financial issues aside, wouldn't be overly distressed if we did go down, as think we'd have a decent chance of bouncing back up, particularly with our set up in a more financially-constrained environment.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The other day, I watched the on our way documentary that someone kindly posted on here.

I'm not missing football as such, but I am seriously missing goingto Albion games. That is still a long way off.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I don't miss watching us get rumped, but I do miss the excitement and the atmosphere of match days - from the breakfast/lunch beforehand to the journey to the stadium and then the usual disappointment and frustration.

Couldn't give a toss about the Bundesliga or any other league, and have hardly watched any football related programmes since lockdown apart from the 'we're on our way' video on another thread. Knocky crying brought a lump to a grown man's throat I tell thee.. :down:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d love to go to the Amex again to get my 3pm Saturday afternoon fix or whatever time ..and if behind closed doors keeps that alive then so be it as life is a tad vanilla for me without social contact ..grandchildren ..sport and just working ...but a visit to the dentist would be number 1 :moo:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not that bothered . . . I did watch the 1976 Palace highlights the other day . . . . . TBH I've not been that bothered about several other hobbies either. can't rehearse or do any band stuff, nor race car stuff. as good as it gets is riding my scooter to work a few days a week, which is currently a joy.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As much as I hate to say, end the season now.
Start afresh next season.
Wouldn't be the same behind closed doors, no atmosphere and the player's need to interact with the crowd to play, whatever the final score.
PL should grow some and make that decision IMO.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
To be fair our performances were quite frustrating and this break was a blessing in disguise. Just hope they used the time wisely and have been doing their homework and tactics for the remaining games. They must have done a lot of video conferencing during this period at the very least?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
After watching the Bundesliga it made my mind up - fans are football, without them football is nowhere near the spectacle I love to watch, I can’t put my finger on what it is but I just do not enjoy watching the matches even a little bit, it’s soulless.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As much as I hate to say, end the season now.
Start afresh next season.
Wouldn't be the same behind closed doors, no atmosphere and the player's need to interact with the crowd to play, whatever the final score.
PL should grow some and make that decision IMO.

Completely agree, asides the fact we're safe, There is no perfect ending until the whole issue is resolved attempting to play behind closed doors will not work and players are going to test positive . . .why should one tream be 3 or 4 players down and anopthjer not . . . . . . . Equally, no point in starting a new season until either its blown through, or everyone accepts a totally different scenario, or we're in the same situation again.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have no interest in games being played behind closed doors, it might be different watching th Albion, but other games I have watched, I have given barely 10 minutes to before turning off.

For me football has very little appeal without the fans.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm not bothered too much in the lack of football at the moment, but if Brighton were playing tonight, even if I could only watch a behind closed doors match on the telly, I'd be extremely excited.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The same people making the same statements, again. If you've nothing new or original to say, why keep posting the same replies to the same thread?

It's coming back, like it or not - nobody really cares. Debate it until you're blue in the face, but the season will be and should be completed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm not bothered too much in the lack of football at the moment, but if Brighton were playing tonight, even if I could only watch a behind closed doors match on the telly, I'd be extremely excited.

Loving the positivity!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do wonder how long it will take for those wholly opposed to empty stadium football, to come around.

Oddly I think we'll get used to 'the new normal' surprisingly quickly.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Where is that Alan Partridge Shrugging gif when you need it?

Bigger fish to fry at the moment and if it weren't for the money the whole thing would have been called off months ago, the fact that it's only going ahead because of the money says it all.

I'll be interested again when we can all go and cheer the team on, or more accurately shout dogs abuse at Dale Stephens and leave after 80 minutes.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The same people making the same statements, again. If you've nothing new or original to say, why keep posting the same replies to the same thread?

It's coming back, like it or not - nobody really cares. Debate it until you're blue in the face, but the season will be and should be completed.

I haven't seen a thread like this. It was just a personal reflection. Why the hostility? You obviously care more than most with the emphasis you have on emotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here