Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Woman sacked after calling police on black man

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is quite something, well worth watching the film:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52759502

A white woman who called the police after a black man asked her to put her dog on a leash in New York City's Central Park has been fired from her job with an investment firm.

Franklin Templeton announced on Twitter on Tuesday it had sacked an employee, "effective immediately".

"We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton," the tweet said.

Christian Cooper, a bird watcher, asked the woman to leash her dog because he feared it could endanger wildlife.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good news.
I watched the video this morning on Twitter, horrible person that obviously thought she was above everyone else.
She also shouldn't be allowed to own a dog if she treats it like she did in the video.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bit of a misleading thread title ("Woman sacked after calling police on black man"), isn't it? It makes it seem like reporting a black man got her fired, and not that she got fired when it was exposed she called the police to falsely accuse a black man of threatening her (almost certainly with at least an awareness of the culture in America of violence against black men by the police, if not because of the culture), just because he asked her to leash her dog in line with all the law that is clearly signposted in the bird sanctuary she had let dog loose in.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good news.
I watched the video this morning on Twitter, horrible person that obviously thought she was above everyone else.
She also shouldn't be allowed to own a dog if she treats it like she did in the video.

It is a bit disturbing to see the dog leashed like that. It appears to be her efforts to stop it running that end up in it being hurt.

Aside of groaning at the Afro-American references, I did wonder what it was that had wound her up into the state she was in. She does seem very distressed. (Unless it was simply because he was filming).

I wonder if there was some cultural conditioning afoot that led her to believe in a false flag of threat at being alone with him. I guess we'll never know because we don't know what was said before.

I was less outraged and more fascinated about why she was reacting in such a frenzied way.

Later she said she had 'over-reacted' so that makes it even more worthy of looking at from a cultural viewpoint.

I think when we see things like this (obviously the murder the other day should never be viewed in the same conciliatory way) I feel they can be turned into something positive. Trying to help folk who have been conditioned to judge and access risk in an irrational (and sometimes racist) way is a path to a more equal society.

Some are beyond such help though.

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.
Here is an article on Bleeding Cool, a comics news site.
The bird watcher is a writer for Marvel Comics and was with his sister when the incident took place.

Marvel Comics' Christian Cooper In Central Park Racial Confrontation
Posted on May 26, 2020 | by Rich Johnston | Comments

Christian Cooper is a writer, and editor based in New York City. He has worked for Marvel Comics as a writer and an editor, writing Marvel comics Presents Stories, the Darkhold series for over a year, a run on Excalibur and edited a number of X-Men collections. In Star Trek fandom he is also notable for writing the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy comic for a few years, co-creating the first openly gay Star Trek character, Yoshi Mishima. Cooper is currently a senior biomedical editor at Health Science Communications, But he is in the news for very different reasons.

He was also president of the Harvard Ornithological Club in the 1980s and remains an avid bird-watcher. Yesterday, he was birdwatching in Central Park with his sister, Melody Cooper, writer of the Omni comic from Humanoids. Christian Cooper asked a woman to leash her dog in an area of the park, where pets must be kept under control. He also filmed the encounter.

On the video, the woman, identified as Amy Cooper (no relation), a VP at Franklin Templeton Investments (FTI), refused, tells Christian to stop filming her and her dog and threatens that she will call the police to tell them that an African-American is threatening her. She then proceeds to do just that when Christian does not stop filming. He is, indeed, black.

Christian kept filming, stopping when Amy leashed her dog, and said 'thank you' In the aftermath of the incident going viral on social media, Amy Cooper voluntarily surrendered the dog to a shelter, and was put on administrative leave by FTI. In a statement to NBC New York, Amy Cooper said, "I sincerely and humbly apologize to everyone, especially to that man, his family. It was unacceptable and I humbly and fully apologize to everyone who's seen that video, everyone that's been offended…everyone who thinks of me in a lower light and I understand why they do."

Here is the Facebook post and video, currently with thousands of replies.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

A white woman who called the police after a black man asked her to put her dog on a leash in New York City's Central Park has been fired from her job with an investment firm.

Franklin Templeton announced on Twitter on Tuesday it had sacked an employee, "effective immediately".

Christian Cooper, a bird watcher, asked the woman to leash her dog because he feared it could endanger wildlife.

It's only a matter of time before.......................................................

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was less outraged and more fascinated about why she was reacting in such a frenzied way.

Later she said she had 'over-reacted' so that makes it even more worthy of looking at from a cultural viewpoint.

She was a VP of a NYC investment firm.

I’ve met maybe 100 during my career and regret to report that my experience of them would endorse the stereotypical, cliched view of them (cf Wolf of Wolf Street) - driven, arrogant bullies; prepared to do anything to win.

I therefore suspect that there’s little to analyse here - she got caught out doing something wrong and, instead of apologising and complying, went into full on attack mode in an attempt to “win”. As ever with bullies, she went for the “opponent’s” weak spot - his race.

There’s a reinforcing circle between employees of these organisations and their employer too. The firm hires driven people and then enhances their innate personality traits by insisting that they work all hours that God sends, paying them ridiculous salaries, giving huge bonuses for “winning”, and promoting the “best” of them to VP. I’ve seen two laminated cards hung in the coffee area of two separate firms: “Winning is everything. For every winner there’s a loser” and “Do anything, anything at all to win. Just don’t get caught”

IMO, her being fired is nothing to do with an anti-racist stance by her ex-employer - but everything to do with managing reputation damage and getting rid of someone who “lost”, thus allowing the firm to double down on exhorting their remaining employees to win.

Pretty obnoxious people in the first place being encouraged to be 10 times as obnoxious by their employer leads to such encounters.

All imo of course.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What a mentalist! Her reaction all boils down to the fact she didn't like being told off by a black bloke.

As a side point, Americans definitely all think they're in the movies, as soon as she got on the phone she put on her best horror film act! :facepalm:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Saw this unfold on Twitter last night..........lost her job and her dog within hours. Managed to enrage both Human and Animal rights people at the same time and within 1 minute.................

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It is a bit disturbing to see the dog leashed like that. It appears to be her efforts to stop it running that end up in it being hurt.

Aside of groaning at the Afro-American references, I did wonder what it was that had wound her up into the state she was in. She does seem very distressed. (Unless it was simply because he was filming).

I wonder if there was some cultural conditioning afoot that led her to believe in a false flag of threat at being alone with him. I guess we'll never know because we don't know what was said before.

I think when we see things like this (obviously the murder the other day should never be viewed in the same conciliatory way) I feel they can be turned into something positive. Trying to help folk who have been conditioned to judge and access risk in an irrational (and sometimes racist) way is a path to a more equal society.

Did she really believe she was under threat though ? Or did she use the colour of his skin in an attempt to get her own way, because she believed it might work ? Ludicrous though it sounds to us, America is a bit different. The link with police over reaction to incidents involving black people bas been made and she was feeding that fire. She should be ashamed of herself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here