Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton and Hove c.1783

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 20.24.33.png

Taken from Yeakell & Gardner's map of Sussex that was surveyed between 1778-1783

The full map can be found here:
http://www.envf.port.ac.uk/geo/research/historical/webmap/sussexmap/Yeakell_36.htm

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like we were still playing at Withdean then.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've not seen one as early as that before. It was fascinating to see Coldean and Moulsecoomb as untamed wildnerness. I walked the dog through the Great Wood this evening and wondered how long some of the paths had been there

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I can lose myself in things like this for hours at a time easily.

What is incredibly striking is the number of segregated fields despite the seemingly very low population. Fascinating.

Hamsey, nr Lewes, was I believe a plague village and that during the time of the plague only two households remained - seems positively metropolitan here.

Finally, would have been really interesting to see how they came to the conclusion as to things like the shoreline - as with all maps these are in plan form yet they can't possibly have known how it looked from above and yet it's strangely accurate.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Great post - and thanks for the link to the full map. I was born in Shoreham not far from the border with Southwick, so it's interesting to see the references to Kingston by Sea and Buckingham House. I'm guessing the main vertical road in Southwick was, or would become, Kingston Lane

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Roman Camp (Hollingbury Fort) is prominent and Preston (linked to the Church and Crown for hundreds of years) is almost as big as Brighton. Great stuff.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
That map is incredible.

I believe this is the earliest "map" of Brighton, but isn't really a map so much as an illustration of the French attacking in 1514:

Cotton_Augustus_I_i_f18_attackBrighton.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've just spotted 'White Lot' on Southwick Hill. Never heard it called that before and a wuick google suggests it's got some history! Thanks for this.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
That map is incredible.

I believe this is the earliest "map" of Brighton, but isn't really a map so much as an illustration of the French attacking in 1514:

View attachment 124146

Great find. I never knew that the French attacked Brighton and there's a small piece in the link that describes the event:
https://brightonmuseums.org.uk/discover/2014/06/06/brightons-first-map-the-french-attack-of-1514/
It tells of the attack and Sussex archers giving the French commander a 'King Harold' "Ouch".
It also explains why I could never work out why there's no longer a South Street to go with East, West and North.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If anyone was wondering about the "ruins of Aldrington Church" - interesting history here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Leonard's_Church,_Aldrington

Sheet2-6.jpg

So the Aldrington Church ruins were on the site where St Leonards's Church on New Church Road now stands.

I was drawn by the name Copperas Gap (now south Portslade) and the windmill shown on the map. I did a little research and discovered it was built around 1725 and demolished c1872.
This photo must have been taken around 1860s..

View attachment 124153

http://portsladehistory.blogspot.com/2016/08/copperas-gap-windmill-portslade.html?m=1

This diagram showing Copperas Gap is based on a map of the 1850s.....

copyright-d-sharp-aldringp.jpg

I also found this obituary from The Times of 18th March 1806 of W Nevill, a Brighton baker who died on his way home after a drinking session at Copperas Gap. He must have been quite a prominent citizen to earn an obituary in The Times..

Screenshot_2020-05-27-04-16-52.png

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Great find. I never knew that the French attacked Brighton and there's a small piece in the link that describes the event:
https://brightonmuseums.org.uk/discover/2014/06/06/brightons-first-map-the-french-attack-of-1514/
It tells of the attack and Sussex archers giving the French commander a 'King Harold' "Ouch".
It also explains why I could never work out why there's no longer a South Street to go with East, West and North.

Can't help thinking that the brave accounts written sixty years later have slightly exaggerated the local heroics.

If the frogs turned up at night how would someone have got to Lewes and back to call up the home guard ? That's eight miles on a ned. Unless they texted them...

If the French were only here for a few hours that would have been enough to raise the place.

I think we took a right tonking here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here